Skip to content

Ask an Expert CBR 900 RRX NOT STARTING ? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > CBR 900 RRX NOT STARTING ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

andyp918

Sep 08

andyp918 says:

CBR 900 RRX NOT STARTING ?

I have a 1999 Fireblade rrx and within the last 2 months or so the bike will not turn over ? Battery is new and fully charged, plugs were new last year and have no problems with running (once i have bumped it off) It bumps off no problems but just won't start off the starter switch. Could it be the kill switch or starter relay or something else. I am not that clued up on the electrical side of the bike anda don't want to replace things that might not need replacing. The bike is in excellent condition and regularly serviced and garaged when not in use. Please can someone help as the nice days are getting fewer and i love riding it ? Thanks andyp 918.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 August 2010 16:32)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

non starter

Hi andy,what`s the voltage reading on the battery if it`s on the bike or on a bike charger?

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Not turning over

Things to check if it's not turning over:
Side-stand switch
Neutral indicator switch
Clutch lever switch

All of these are interlocked to prevent it starting in gear with the stand down. Most likely is the side-stand switch, as it is usually covered in gunge.

I don't think it can be the kill-switch if it will bump-start. It could be the starter relay, but I think this is unlikely.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
andyp918

Sep 08

andyp918 says:

non starter

thanks for the advice i did consider the side stand switch but didn't fancy tackling the crud ? but i will now and let you know how i get on, once again thanks little red rooster. (andyp 918)

Reply to this Topic
andyp918

Sep 08

andyp918 says:

non starter

Hi jaffa, i dont have a multimeter (yet) but my battery checker states that the battery is excellent with all its lights flashing, the meter not the bike that is.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

If the battery is ok do you get a clicking noise or no sound at all when you press the starter button?

Reply to this Topic
Knightmoves

Mar 09

Knightmoves says:

hiya Andy p

i had the same problem with one of my bikes , quite some time ago ( 3 yrs ? , dont time fly ) turned out that it was the started solinoid .

now im not saying that this is YOUR problem , its best to run checks on all the other things mentioned on this thread before diving in with shed loads of reddies . that said , starter solinoids come reletivley cheap . heres an example of one for sale on E-bay at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR900-RRW-RRX-FIREBLADE-STARTER-SOLENOID-64-/360291046793 

good luck , and i hope things get sorted for you soon

judith x

Reply to this Topic
andyp918

Sep 08

andyp918 says:

non starter.

Hi Judith, Sorry for the delay ( i have been making my way to the outer hebrides over the last 3-4 weeks).

I have replaced the side stand switch which seemed to be ok for a couple of days but  then returned to not starting again. I think the starter solenoid is the next replacement item. Thanks again for your advice and the link. &E  x

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices