Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati quit WSB World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Ducati quit WSB

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

Ducati quit WSB

Ducati will quit WSB at the end of the season it has announced in a press release issued today. The Italian company says it will focus its technical resources on product development and will therefore not compete in the 2011 WSB series with a factory team. The press release stated: Ducati, having participated with a factory team in every edition of the World...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 August 2010 14:36)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dc4go

May 10

Dc4go says:

Sad to see but it makes sense to me...... Running a restricted twin against a Prototype V4 of the Aprillia just doesn't make sense... Having probably the best streetbike doesn't matter if u race against a prototype bike... The new 848 has 60mm throttle bodies and Ducati is forced to race with 50mm throttle bodies on there 1198... Doesnt make sense if u can get air to the motor can't produce the hp. needed to be competitve... :/

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

This is clearly a business move made by Ducati, and one which has my support. I think its a good idea. They will now focus on the Motogp prototype 1000cc bike and with Rossi on board what a great chance they have of winning that title. I dont think the move is due to covering the costs for his wages, I really dont. I also dont think it will have an impact on sales, especially if they win next year !

Now, boring as you may say but Motogp is where riders want to be, it is THE biggest stage a rider can participate in and prove themselves as the best out there. More riders are planned to take grid slots to add further competition.

I love Haga and he is one of the best riders iv seen, and having watched all races last year, in my opinion despite losing out to Spies, he was the best rider for 2009 and but for a couple of moments of bad luck, it could very easily have gone his way.

However he probably wont compete at the front anymore and Fabrizio just hasnt made it, so why dilute resources and funds in what is thought to be a second rate competition to motogp, when you could throw everything behind the 2011 cause. 

Smart move, both financially and from a race perspective. Ducati wont miss WSBK, and they are going for the throat of motogp.

Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
chmer20

Oct 09

chmer20 says:

good argument

Mr.Number. If they are going to use motogp as their delevopment/proving stage, maybe the upcoming streetbikes will be closer to those, then they might come back to WSBK. Hope they bring in the V4 and ditch the belts for a chain or gears. one can only hope......

Reply to this Topic
nickyb65

Jan 10

nickyb65 says:

A good move by Ducati

Although I follow MotoGP more, I think its a good move for the company. Ducati are not as big as some of the other big names such as Honda and as such this will no doubt mean more money going into R&D for the 2011 season as a whole. They will still play a role by the privateers at WSB, but with an increasing (I hope!) MotoGP grid in the future, its still the premier race class as others have commented already. I don't think its about paying Mor Rossi's wages either - but from this you can tell they are more focused than ever in winning future MotoGP titles! Good Luck Ducati !!!

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

The Rossi factor

It has nothing to do with his salary as the sponsors are picking the bulk of the tab. It is simply a marketing decision. When Rossi went from Honda to Yamaha the sales of the R1 increased significantly in Europe, whilst the fire blades lost ground. Ducati already know that with Rossi and a winning bike, their commercial sales will increase significantly. They are sticking all their eggs in one basket and do not want to spread their resources too thin especially with the development of the 1000cc for 2012 season. As Shamitz said, it does not spell the end of Ducati in wsbk, it means that they will move ahead in a similar fashion to the factory sponsored team approaches of Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki and concentrate the bulk of their efforts on the MotoGp project … if Ducati remains comppetitive under a factory sponsored team in wsbk it will not dilute their brand and at the same time they will not have the same sort of financial and technical investment in having a full blown factory team.

What Rossi was going to move to Ducati out of sentimental reasons and a pay check? The guy could retire three times over. Call me cynical but he is going because he knew what the level of support and commitment was going to be beforehand - exactly the same commitment he had from Yamaha when he made the move from Honda... could mean less space for Burgess and the rest of VR's guys though

Reply to this Topic
goldenboyfz1

Dec 07

goldenboyfz1 says:

?

Am I the only onewho didnt see this coming ?. Agreed, Haga isnt the force he used to be....and I guess now with Rossi on a Ducati, sales will increase ( if the results come in ).

Its a complete shame that Ducati are pulling the plug. They rely so heavily on results in racing to sell bikes. First theyre out of BSB, now WSB....

I just pray for their sake that they have a better year in 2011 with Rossi at the helm ?

Reply to this Topic
RogerRSV

Jul 09

RogerRSV says:

Couldn't have put it better myself Goldenboy!

After Carl,Neil, Troy, Ruben, James etc etc..................predictable but very sad. Years ago my Dad used to get tears in his eyes at airshows when he heard the evocative merlin engine of the Spitfire roar by - I know how he felt - the very noise in BSB ans WSB was enough to pay the entrance money alone. Hope to hear those raging Termingnonis back again soon.

Reply to this Topic
screamer69

Oct 05

screamer69 says:

Duc quit WSB

Its only likely to be a year, as MCN had already reported thay are working on a new short stroke Twin for 2012.

Reply to this Topic
Ben52

Sep 09

Ben52 says:

2012/13

they,ll be back  in 12/13 after developing a V4 in MotoGp

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

WSB wont feel their loss as much as they would have done, say two years ago before Aprillia and BMW entered the series, they can spit their dummy out as much as they want but they cant hold the series to ransom anymore, ie: preferential rule changes.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices