Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati quit WSB World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Ducati quit WSB

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

Ducati quit WSB

Ducati will quit WSB at the end of the season it has announced in a press release issued today. The Italian company says it will focus its technical resources on product development and will therefore not compete in the 2011 WSB series with a factory team. The press release stated: Ducati, having participated with a factory team in every edition of the World...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 August 2010 14:36)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

Sterilgarda got more out of one wildcard weekend in moto gp with ben spies than his entire sbk championship season. Im sure there will be plenty of people lining up to buy "that red one" you've just turned your nose up at just because they have reduced their level of involvement in one series. Call youself a bike racing fan...go and mow your lawn.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

MotoGP not prototypes?  can someone show me their RC212V frame on their Blade or Moriwaki frame on their CBR600RR road bike?  and whilst road-based engines will be allowed (probably) from 2012, close inspection of the regulations is needed.  engines will be limited to a maximum bore of 81mm - this renders the old 990cc GP bikes illegal as most of the four cylinder engines were massively oversquare (around 86mm bore) and a very short stroke to get maximum revs.  the current R1 engine has a bore of 78mm (Blade has an even longer stroke with a bore at 76mm) so both would probably get blown away by a 'grand prix' prototype engine of the same capacity.  to suggest that MotoGP is going to be some kind of psudo-WSB racing is well wide of the mark.

and which are the four bikes worth having?  are you suggesting the Tech 3 M1s are better than the Repsol Hondas or factory Ducatis?  you must have the best mown lawns in town my friend.

Reply to this Topic
slimshany

Jul 09

slimshany says:

ducati quit wsb.

come on guy's we all know that if bayliss come back too ducati next year,he would with out dout be 2011 wsb champion!!!!!!!!!!!! they must of thought that without bayliss who could they sign that could win next year??every top rider is linked with other teams...if you are looking too slag a manufacturer off,then take a look at kawasaki= there not even in moto gp,and there shite in wsb and bsb!!!

Reply to this Topic
MsHizzy

Feb 06

MsHizzy says:

This was inevitable, Ducati sign Rossi on £12m plus a year they know they will have to pull out all the stops to make sure that the Legendary Rossi can win on their machine, they will be pumping more than just £12m in wages into Rossi, MILLIONS will go onto development etc before they recoup much of it back from merchandising and the inevitable Rossi Rep Ducati Sports Bikes as Honda and Yamaha did. They simply cannot afford to keep 2 series running on a factory team so don't act all surprised and bewildered boys.

Factory Honda left World Superbikes when the rules on V Twins changed and their flagship SP1 and SP2 bikes ridden by Colin Edwards at the time left never to return again... In steps Ronald Ten Kate who has been doing outstandingly developing inline 4 engines in the supersport series and sees an oppertunity with the Fireblade or CBR1000rr , take your pick whereever you come from. The bike is an instant hit and there was no need for Factory Honda in the WSB paddock. Granted Ten Kate will get some Factory Honda backing and their team has the results to prove that a privateer team can go out there and kick factory backside.

So guys what is to stop an engine developer and tuner doing exactly the same with Ducati and bringing back the V twins to success?? The right developtment , right parts and the right rider coming in exciting with nothing to lose can change it all.

Ten Kate Honda first season a solid 2nd with Chris Vermuelen , 2nd new rider James Toseland brings them the title and their success may not be championship after championship but their results make them the most successful privateer team in the series....

So the gauntlet is laid come on Ducati teams pull your finger out and bring us a privateers title!

Reply to this Topic
panmanPete

Aug 10

panmanPete says:

Fond memories, and look to the future....

Ducati in WSB have been like Ferrari in Formula1....very successful, with beautiful machinery, though at times controversial with the rules, and very red!!

Thank you for some of the best races ever seen on 2 wheels; I'll never forget the Bayliss/Edwards battle in Monza 2002. I've followed WSB since 1990 and Ducati have showcased some awesome talent. My personal favoututes?

1. Fogarty: yes a big ego, but no one ever battled as hard or generated such passion amongst fans and drew the crowds like him for so long. Superb grit and determination, and gave us brits something to cheer about for so many years. 

2. Chilli; a racing gentleman who never seemed to have a good run of luck. He added to the WSB fan base by adding allure and charm to attract our wives and girlfriends (not to be overlooked).

3. Bayliss;  awesome talent, tireless fitness and bravery. We will never know if his 'alleged' comeback was fact or fiction -or if it would have delivered another dream title.

Thanks for the wonderfu memories Ducati - we know that you will return when the conditions are right for you. meanwhile, I look forward to mouthwatering road bike development.  

Reply to this Topic
Evogt

Apr 05

Evogt says:

All of them.

All the factories should pull out and it should get back to what it should be. The series was always about private teams and importers running modified road bikes. I think its a sad loss when any team be it factory or private have to pull out of a championship like WSB, but I think they will be back.

Reply to this Topic
OxonJohn

Jun 09

OxonJohn says:

Shame

I think its a bit rich that some here have branded Ducati as "cheats" bearing in mind the astonishing stroke that Aprilia have been allowed to pull in 2010. WSB was shaping up to be quite interesting with half a dozen riders all showing race-winning form. Then the RSV4 was modified and Biaggi cleared off. The bike might conform to the letter of the regulations, but not the spirit. Interesting though that the modification will not be permitted in 2011.

Also, its predictable that so many wrongly view Rossi's arrival in the MotoGP team as a contributor to Ducati's decision. Lets not forget that they've been paying Stoner for the last 4 years, and you can bet he wasn't cheap. Fiat will make up the difference. 

Like some, I really hope that Ducati give huge support to a team like Altea for 2011 and that they get some good results, and that the red bikes re-appear for 2012.

Reply to this Topic
allsorts09

Aug 10

allsorts09 says:

ducati

at least this gives Nori a way out of racing without loosing face or having a big accident on a slower bike next year!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Kawasakifreak

Nov 07

I'm pleased

Clearly one of the reasons Ducati are leaving the WSB Championship is cost which has jumped significantly in real terms for all participating teams since 1988 - I think that's always been a mistake.

Maybe I'm out-of-touch but I would like National SBK & WSB championships return to their roots - importers & private race teams competing on production-class bikes with all rider aids switched OFF.

Reply to this Topic
cmc1

May 08

cmc1 says:

Sing When your winning

The Ducati V-twin can be developed no more!! Due to the rules on modifying restrictions the engine is at it's peak  Ducati know this and they also know that the 4Cylinders still have more to give. They cant afford another season of loosing because it would be hard to justify 15 to 20K for a superbike in the showrooms thats a proven loser. They are lovely bikes and the factory team will be a great loss to SBK but I get the feeling they only sing when they are winning. All in my opinion anyway.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle