You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Occupational Category

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

apehanger

Feb 04

apehanger says:

Occupational Category

I have a PhD in Computer Integrated Manufacturing and make a living as an (industrial) robot programmer.

I am employed in robotics and automation line building.

Whenever I try to describe my work insurance clerks are dumbfounded and unable to classify my occupation as they have a proscribed list of vocations. The nearest that they can find is "Systems Engineer / Manufacturing".

What’s more is that my position in the company is in a white collar role as a General Manager.

I have a feeling that I could lay claim to a much cheaper occupational category. I have a doctorate. My profession is Computer Integrated Manufacturing. In a sense, I am a "computer programmer". I am also a manager etc.

What do you recommend as the cheapest insurance classification that would befit my work?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (27 August 2010 22:39)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

How about...

Brag-head?  :lol:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Occupational Category.

Puppeteer?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't have a definitive list to hand

but probably something like Occupation: Site Manager / Factory Manager / Senior Manager, Sector: Engineering.

I don't think it would make a huge difference to your premium to be honest, it may be a way for insurance to weasel out of paying out in the event of a claim if they consider it "material facts".

Hope that helps a bit.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Seriously, though...

apehanger... I daresay you manage to get kudos aplenty in your personal life for happening to mention your PhD several times in a short conversation, but why should an insurance company consider it a factor in reducing your premium?

Do people with a mere 5 CSEs or GCSEs, or whatever they are now, find themselves better or worse bikers than graduates?  It's got a lot more to do with skill, experience and attitude.  Don't tell me that people with a PhD are above silliness, aggression or poor hand-eye coordination.    Surely you know that various manifestations of intelligence tend to flatten out, on aggregate, so having a PhD in anything except practical motorcycle riding safety would tend to suggest a worse riding ability than average!

Not trying to be unkind, a PhD in your rarified field is something to be proud of, but of absolutely no bearing whatsoever when it comes to biking.  That's why insurance companies don't give a tinkers' proverbial about it.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

I know what you mean...

I normally just say that I am a "Software engineer" working in the "telecoms area" and insist on them getting my title right. None of the categories really suit and I have got fed up trying to find a perfect fit. With foreign call centres it usually takes several goes even to get that. When I used to work in the city as a "Consultant" for a software house it got very confusing...
I don't think qualifications are used by companies in the UK to assess risk but in other countries they do. In the case of PhDs perhaps they should - someone who spent years working 12 hour days in academia for little or no money so that their supervisor could get all the credit is clearly a nut :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ChiefNutter

Oct 10

ChiefNutter says:

Occupational Category

You need to get it sorted really mate & find out your proper work title, it WILL make a difference to your insurance, sometimes it can make a very big difference too...I dunno about the PhD but i know scientists get cheaper insurance...usually anyone who isnt likley to be out driving much (like scientists stuck in labs!) & low stress jobs will get cheaper quotes...also safety related jobs get cheaper quotes too.

Reply to this Topic
ChiefNutter

Oct 10

ChiefNutter says:

could be worse though

Good job your not a bookmaker or stock broker....or professional footballer...they pay alot more for insurance :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices