Skip to content

Discuss This £22 gets BMW S1000RR to 197mph! New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > £22 gets BMW S1000RR to 197mph!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

£22 gets BMW S1000RR to 197mph!

A standard BMW S1000RR with a new £22 rear sprocket and gaffer tape over slots in the screen has come close to cracking 200mph. The bike had a standard exhaust and no engine modifications whatsoever, and hit 197. 289mph during an experiment by MCN’s sister title Performance Bikes – out today – which explored the bike’s high speed potential. PB’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 September 2010 11:05)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RealMeanMachine

Jan 10

Full respect the bike is very fast in a straight line and loads of top end power but as a road bike whats the point we all agree we cant go fast any where on the road any more.

The R1 has less top speed but way more character and loads of bottom end fun!

Reply to this Topic
RavenOne

Jul 08

RavenOne says:

Great! 180+ Bhp, nearly 200 mph. Honestly, how _useable_ is that? Can us mere mortals ride that at a trackday?

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

so i'll be travelling the 11 miles to work in 3 minutes 20 seconds?

Reply to this Topic
flyingpanintothefire

Aug 02

A pointless exercise by people with nothing better to do

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

Clearly a rocket ship of some kind ;-)

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

MCN TRY A REAL TEST FOR A CHANGE

the hayabusa and zzr1400 are limited to 186mph.... take the limiters off adjust the sprockets, then lets see who is the fastest...... bmw will walk away with its head down in shame....... plus the bike is crap..

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

BUSA66

Take a reality check, the Huyabusa is 1300cc and the ZZR is 1400cc so no real comparison there to make. As for the bike being crap its more like what you are talking Im afraid.

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

busa66

i agree with whats been said below - though i understand that it must be a bitter pill to swallow knowing a 1000cc European bike has taken the crown from the Jap hyperbikes. Restrictors aside the BMW has a much better power to weight ratio than the 1300/1400 Asian lumps so in theory why should they be any faster top speed wise? i think an unrestriced Desmo with the full race exhaust system and the 200+bhp would be faster than the BM though

Reply to this Topic
bazzabusa

Jun 07

bazzabusa says:

tut tut

You seem to have forgot about the other stock bikes which were in front of you at that meeting that weekend, there was a stock engine suzuki hayabusa 1300 which did 202.8 mph, also stock engine kawasaki zzr1400 which did 203.1 mph and not the figures your quoting in that column of your paper this week * bikes with hands tied behind their backs / restricted *

Your bike did not do the 197.29 mph you quoted, it did 202.0 mph dead ! still very impressive but still slower than the busa and the zzr on the day ... either way * unrestricted bikes * a fair fight it needs to be.

P.S. there was also a tail wind on there day   

Reply to this Topic
aitchbusa202

Sep 10

aitchbusa202 says:

even more tutts

lets just get it straight

there was a tail wind steady 8-10 mph up till about 3 when the wind got steadily stronger up to 14-15mph by the end of the day, possibly the reason the speeds crept up rather than being down to a bt of duct tape and loss of mirrors which is only worth a couple of MPH

undoubtely a cracking bike, however, the light weigt probably means it will get up to the max speed sooner possibly even in the mile, whereas my STOCK engined Busa 202,8mph and the ZZR1400 203.1mph were probably still accelerating

would have been good if you had been less biassed and reported speeds of other bikes on the day, of course all good for BMW who i guess sponsered you in some way

Also a mension of the UKLSRA UK Land Speed Racing Association who i believe along with straightliners invited you and made the event possible

UKLSRA  = www.uklandspeedracingassociation.co.uk are hoping to hold another event 10th october for anyone out there that is interested in seeing just how fast their bike is

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices