Skip to content

Discuss This £22 gets BMW S1000RR to 197mph! New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > £22 gets BMW S1000RR to 197mph!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

£22 gets BMW S1000RR to 197mph!

A standard BMW S1000RR with a new £22 rear sprocket and gaffer tape over slots in the screen has come close to cracking 200mph. The bike had a standard exhaust and no engine modifications whatsoever, and hit 197. 289mph during an experiment by MCN’s sister title Performance Bikes – out today – which explored the bike’s high speed potential. PB’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 September 2010 11:05)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aitchbusa202

Sep 10

aitchbusa202 says:

useable

just read back through the comments

yes 180bhp and top speeds of up to 200 or over on my busa :-) do make for a great road bike, as im sure the BMW is, of cours its all about personal preferances

its still usable on the road these bikes have all the down low grunt (torque) and rideability to make them very good road bikes, weekend after elvington i went 2 up with my girlfriend and 10 other hayabusa's touring around the north of england 600+ miles over 2 days of riding had a great time, have also tracked it a few times and is great fun. the power is there if you need it and no more of a handfull than my first 600cc bike with only 85bhp. admittadly you cant use it to full potential on the road, this though is true of most bikes now from 250cc upwards and of many lower cc bikes.

Reply to this Topic
antimagneto

Jun 09

antimagneto says:

That's nothing..

I got over 80mph out of an old FS1E the other day - my braces got caught on a Jag bumper....

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

MCN, HERE ARE THE REAL RESULTS

Elvington 21st 22nd August weather sunny 7 to 12 mph tailwind.
LD 19 Lloyd Davies Hayabusa 1600cc 219.1 mph
SM 29 Simon Mannell Hayabusa Turbo 217.7 mph
KD 10 Ken Dunn Kawasaki ZX12 turbo 214.3 mph
BM 05 Barry Miller Hayabusa 1441cc 213.9 mph
TF 15 Tony Foster Hayabusa Turbo208.6 mph
GH 46 Greg Haywood Hayabusa Nitrous 208.2 mph
AW 14 Andy Williams Kawasaki ZX12r 1395cc 205.1 mph
RW 11 Richard Warlow Kawasaki ZZR 1400cc 203.1 mph
HP 02 Hedley Pepper Hayabusa 1300cc 202.8 mph
PBZ 51 Kev Smith BMW S1000RR 202.0 mph <<< SLOWER
JH 61 Jeff Haines Kawasaki GPZ 810cc Turbo 201.3 mph
RB 38 Josh Walker Kawasaki Zx12r 1270cc 199.1 mph
SC 17 Steve Craynor Hayabusa Turbo 194.5 mph
BB 08 Andy Phillips Hayabusa gen 2 193.1 mph
EB 30 Eric Buckley Yamaha R1 999cc 192.1 mph
JD 13 John Warrington Hayabusa 188.1 mph
KM 28 Kevin Mattocks Hayabusa gen 1 187.8 mph
SV 33 Simon Venton Hayabusa Turbo 185.8 mph
AM 48 Andrew McKie Hayabusa 173.7 mph
AB 43 Alan Benn Suzuki Bandit 1254cc 165.5 mph
PB 50 Mark White Kawasaki z1000 153mph

AS YOU CAN SEE BOTH THE BUSA AND ZZR WERE FASTER IN STANDARD TRIM, NO MORE BULL PLEASE..

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

OH FORGOT TO SAY

I WAS THERE AND WITNESSED IT TOO.  AS WAS ADAM CHILD FROM MCN .   :-)

Reply to this Topic
MCNJohnWestlake

Dec 09

Elvington/Brunters cock-up

Thanks for the comments about wind speeds. I've double-checked with the Performance Bikes guys and I've made a mistake in the story above. Apparently the standard runs (just tape and smaller sprocket) were done on a windless day at Bruntingthorpe, while the non-standard (Power Commander, Akropovic etc) were done at Elvington when you guys saw it. Sorry for the confusion...

Reply to this Topic
bazzabusa

Jun 07

bazzabusa says:

Good to see

things now corrected ... after some confusion

thank you.

We could do with a re-match sometime soon .. and some pictures and such of it all happening ? what do you think ? bring the BMW back ?

Reply to this Topic
madmattt

Jul 05

madmattt says:

Re test

MCN how about admitting your mistake in next weeks press? Maybe you will get some respect for that. And then doing it properly with scrutineers to vet the bikes? lets see figures then for 0-60, 0-100, first to 186 and if you can find a runway long enough see what they do flat out. i think you have upset a lot of people today....put it right please!

Reply to this Topic
KrautBurner

Sep 10

KrautBurner says:

Not Fair? Seriously?

I can't beleive all this whining about fairness when the Busa and ZZR are both running from %30 - %50 more motor. Not fair? Whaaaaaaa... Whaaaaa somebody needs a diaper change. Its a freakin bike. Go out for a ride and enjoy your bike. Whatever it is.

Reply to this Topic
bazzabusa

Jun 07

bazzabusa says:

not fair ?

think back a bit ... lots of people and magazines are saying this BMW is a busa eater ... thats where it all comes from, if know one would have said any daft things as such then i doubt this would have all come about as it has,

the busa and zzr have more cc yes, but also carrying alot more weight, also the BMW has more bhp per litre than the both other bikes.

Reply to this Topic
aitchbusa202

Sep 10

aitchbusa202 says:

smaller capacity

30% smaller capacity and 30% higher RPM

sems a fair fight to me my busa similarly spec'd with full exhaust (no power commander) and bike and rider considerably heavier <<faster>>

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices