Skip to content

Discuss This How new Triumph Tiger 800 matches up to BMW F800GS New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > How new Triumph Tiger 800 matches up to BMW F800GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

How new Triumph Tiger 800 matches up to BMW F800GS

This week’s MCN (out now) exclusively reveals more details of Triumph’s new adventure bike, the Tiger 800. But how does it match up to its obvious rival, BMW’s F800GS? Armed with a brawnier version of the already muscular 675 motor means the new Tiger is off to a headstart, with Triumph testers remarking on ‘startling’ torque from the longer-stroke 800 motor. We also...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 September 2010 17:08)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simon0503

Jun 06

simon0503 says:

Finally!!!

Finally an adventure bike I have been waiting for...and the waiting is almost over :-)

Reply to this Topic
theMaskedAvenger

Jun 10

I've said it before

And I'll say it again... this will sell by the bucketload if the price is right.

Reply to this Topic
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

Nice

Dito if this is the right price the power is there the weight isnt then this could take on the 800 and 1200GS as will have more offroad capabilities.

Reply to this Topic
apriliorange

Aug 10

apriliorange says:

Perfect. Now we want the new 1100 engine, in a Daytona or a Speed.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Have to agree, if the price is right, they will be running out of them before they even touch the showrooms. If its around the price of a Speed Triple I'll place my order for sure. If they can just stop teasing us with empty teasers and show us the machine.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

@apriliorange

Can't wait to see the new (or I expect only updated if they do like with the Sprint) Speed Triple but I certainly don't see what 1100cc would really add to the bike. The front wheel is already lite as it is...don't know what even more power would add to the bike.

Reply to this Topic
Chaconi

Sep 10

Chaconi says:

Please tell me the price you can have?. I'm from Spain and this bike has taken me sleep. Best regards, thanks

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

2 Liters Does Not Mean a Winner

Whilst I'm sure that the new Triumph will be great - and being a Tiger owner I'm biased towards the Triumph brand generally, I take issue with the so called "weakness." Okay the Trumpet has got two litres more fuel capacity, but I have ridden a GS800 across nearly 5 thousand kms of South Africa and a large part of that being off-road. The fuel tank is not a problem because the GS sips fuel at about the same rate a nun would drink a pint of heavy. It's generally acknowledged that BMW have got the fuel mapping malarky so sewn up they are well ahead of anyone else. There are times when using a GS800 when you'd think BMW have invented the first engine to make fuel. Whilst we can't say until a head to head is done, I'd put money on a bet that had BMW going further on one tank than a Trumpet with more fuel. Now, you might also like to ponder that when riding off-road having weight up top is not a good idea - that's part of the reason why you stand on the pegs - it moves the weight and therefore center of gravity lower. The BMW has less fuel weight and what it does have is carried under the seat, i.e. fairly low down. Lets also not forget that BMW are pretty good at building adventure machines - they've been at it for quite a while. So rather that the extra two litres helping the bike, I'd say that this additional weight carried in a conventional tank will, in fact reduce the overall off-road capability, which along with the likely higher fuel consumption does not make the Trumpet an automatic winner.

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

"Now, you might also like to ponder that when riding off-road having weight up top is not a good idea - that's part of the reason why you stand on the pegs - it moves the weight and therefore center of gravity lower."

Er? Standing up could ONLY move the centre of gravity higher! The reason I stand up is because it's more comfortable when you hit the really rough stuff or to get a better view of the trail.

Reply to this Topic
angusfarquhar

Aug 02

Centre of gravity

@sj_edinburgh standing up will move the centre of gravity lower as all of your weight will be going through the pegs rather than through the seat. If you stand up the bike pivots around your feet whereas if you sit you become part of the bike and move with it, therefore raising the COG.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle