Skip to content

Discuss This Misano MotoGP: Shoya Tomizawa dies after Moto2 accident MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Misano MotoGP: Shoya Tomizawa dies after Moto2 accident

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Misano MotoGP: Shoya Tomizawa dies after Moto2 accident

Shoya Tomizawa, winner of the first ever Moto2 race in Qatar back in April, has died from injuries he suffered in a crash during the Misano Grand Prix today. The Japanese rider was fighting in the lead group when he lost control in fourth place approaching the super-fast back straight section on lap 12. The 19-year-old was struck by Italian rider Alex...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 September 2010 14:03)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
curlyfisher

Oct 05

curlyfisher says:

total disgrace

Just watched the moto 2 race upto tragic accident in which Tomizawa was fatally injured. the way the incident was dealt with was disgracefull, a definate red flag. 1st rule of first aid assess before any movement, to see the marshall sling people onto stretchers and run off track dropping stretchers etc. and possibly leading to even more pain and suffering for riders.  I remember the way they moved Rainey after his accident and we know how he now is. Come on dorna this should never happen in this day and age, its sickening to see it still going on in some countries.

Reply to this Topic
Evs7

Mar 07

Evs7 says:

RIP Shoya

In light of the way that the incident was broadcast with the camera cutting back to see the marshals dropping the stretcher I guess there will be a full investigation and action will be taken. Having said all that, my thoughts go out to Shoya Tomizawa's friends and family at this sad time, he was a fantastic talent, fun and brought something special to the paddock, he will be sadly missed. My thoughts are also with Alex De Angelis and Scott Redding at this time, there was absolutely nothing either rider could have done to avoid the incident.

Reply to this Topic
gecko1001

Aug 02

gecko1001 says:

Orgainisers statement

Just read the response to the incidnet oby Paul Butler and co here http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/Press+Conference+Race+Direction+Shoya+Tomizawa

No mention by the way of the marshalls conduct and so I have sent  a complaint via here http://www.motogp.com/en/contact

Reply to this Topic
Billyquicksp2

Aug 10

We all know the risks of motor racing but when the worst does happen the least we can hope for is that the track staff will take care of us. Having spent time with the medics and marshals at a few UK and WSBK meetings I have seen first hand how race accidents are (and should be) dealt with. My girlfriend (who's a doctor and A&E registrar) and I were absolutely horrified at the manner in which this accident was handled for all the injured parties We could not understand why the race was not stopped immediately so that Shoya could be attended to where he lay. Perhaps we will never know if this may have helped this poor young man. He wasn't even wearing a neck brace a he was moved off the f-ing track! I hope that once the dust settles some serious questions will be asked and swift and decisive changes can be made so that better care can be taken of the riders in the future.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Gekko

I have used your link to vent my disgust about this situation.  I could type here until I am blue in the face. But I have said what I have needed to in the forum.

Absolutely diabolical marshalling. An enquiry needs to be opened about it immediately!

RIP Shoya. Another talent lost. Ride Free.

Reply to this Topic
LadiesLove

Mar 09

LadiesLove says:

re. organisers statement

That statement by race direction is a seriously poor attempt at an excuse.  The fact remains that even without the hindsight of knowing the outcome of this tragedy it was obvious the second the crash happened that Shoya was out cold and in a bad way and on the racing line of a 130+mph part of the track.  There reason for not showing the red flag was that  'he would have been removed by the time the riders got round for the next lap"...well not if proper medical proceedure was followed he wouldn't!   They should have red flagged immediately and seen to him as rider safety has to be priority number 1. Any true fan would rather sit there all night for the race to re-start than see a rider treated like that.   There was another similar incident that I've not seen mentioned, when the replacement rider in the Antonio Banderas team crashed on the straight and from the crash it was a  mirracle he didn't break his kneck yet he was just pulled over the barriers like a rag doll...

Something needs to fundementally change!!!!!

R.I.P Shoya 

Reply to this Topic
aj1066

Jul 07

aj1066 says:

I have sent a complaint via here http://www.motogp.com/en/contact

Me too, and I would urge everyone else to do the same. The way he was removed from the track was ridiculous. I would like to think that I would receive better initial care on a track day.

Rest In Peace Shoya

Reply to this Topic
robzrx1200r

Jun 06

robzrx1200r says:

rip tomi

really really shocked......tomi was a fantastic rider...he was definately a rising star...such a shame...but the organisers at the event should hang there heads in shame.....and sort out there ridiculous track marshalls who dropped scott redding when he was on the stretcher!!!!!!!  ..OMG what behaviour...RIP TOMIZAWA

Reply to this Topic
cgman

Feb 09

cgman says:

R.I.P. #48

R.I.P. shoya. condolences to the family. hope redding doesnt feel guilty over the incident. nothing he or de angelis could have done.

with reference to the way shoya was handled at/after the incident. anyone remember kato deijiro at suzuka 2003. the  marshalls were the same at that incident. it was the same with race direction (no red flag shown).

R.I.P. Shoya. you were one hell of a racer.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
9999steve

Jun 06

9999steve says:

STATEMENT.

This is the discraceful excuse for a statement from the the race directors. Failed to mention the handling of the riders and why when the riders were so obviously in a serious condition were moved. I havn't included the doctor statement because they were not in control ultimately... maybe they should have been?!!

Paul Butler: “I think the first thing we have to say is that our sympathies go out to the family and friends of Tomizawa and the team, clearly. Doctor Macchiagodena has explained the situation very clearly. My job is to decide whether to red flag or not based on the advice I receive. The medical intervention was very quick and very efficient because the point of the accident there were many medical services there: several ambulances and a lot of doctors. So the evaluation of the situation was swift. The next stage is to do with the safety of the other riders on the track and the intervention of the marshals was very swift so there was no risk to the other riders. The crashed motorcycles and the debris was removed very quickly and therefore there was no reason to red flag.”

Claude Danis: “I would just like to confirm what Paul said. We thought after consultation together that it was not necessary to stop the race because it seemed everything would be okay when the riders come round for the next lap, and that was the case. Of course today is a very sad day for all of us and on behalf of the FIM I would like to express my very deep condolences to the family of Tomizawa, to the team and to his friends. Things like that happen sometimes, hopefully not very often, and that is racing.”

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices