You are in... Forums > Where to Ride > Track Days > The Nordschleife

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

The Nordschleife

Part track day, part TT-Mad Sunday, 'Grune Holle' (Green Hell!) is either a mixture of both or something else all together - I can't quite decide!

As a newbie I completed my first laps over the recent WSBK w/e and here are my thoughts to help anyone else that's thinking of giving it a go.

As you're on this forum I assume you're familiar with track days, so I'll start with a comparison...

Similarities:

• No oncomming traffic
  • No speed limit
  • No side junctions
  • No pedestrians
  • Open pit lane
  • marshalling flags

Differences:

• It's a public road
  • Overtaking ONLY on the left
  • About 13 miles long
  • You won't know which way the bends go!
  • Mixed vehicles - cars, vans, people carriers...
  • Only a narrow grass run-off to the Armco

95% of vehicles obey the overtake on the left rule and 'undertaking' is a common cause of accidents. People also signal right to indicate to a faster vehicle to overtake.

Having read a number of articles on the 'ring, what caught me out were the two bends where half the track is concrete rumble strip. I ran wide onto the outer tarmac everytime, although this is very bumpy.

Remember to allow plenty of time for your laps - my 4 took over an hour, partly due to the circuit being closed for a while due to a crash. Do make sure that you slow down for the yellow flags - one corner they were showing and as I came around it there was a large recovery truck blocking most of the road except for a narrow gap just wide enough for a single vechicle!

To use the barriers onto the circuit you need to use a ringcard and your laps are put onto this. The ringcard also combines the cashless system that they use in the short circuit for refreshments and merchandise, although laps and cash are not interchangeable.

Hope that helps - anyone else that's been, do please add any tips that helped you on your first time! :winkie:

:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 September 2010 13:56)

Post a message in Track Days

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Another thing...

It helps to keep in lower gears so that you can control speed on the throttle through corners rather than trying to use the brakes, so be prepared to rev the engine more than you might on the road, depending on the style of your engine.

Reply to this Topic
kursaal

May 10

kursaal says:

the ring

Been there a few times, my thoughts its an accident waiting to happen.Why if you ride normal open roads you have a tendency to keep within certain limits . But the ring even on public days as your confidence grows you will have a  tendency to push faster and faster and as you learn there are some monster fast blind bits , great when its clear but on day it wont be and that is where it can go so tragically wrong.If you really want to treat it like a race track do the closed road bike courses much safer.:winkie: 

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Been there crashed there. Done over 50 laps. Still love it!! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle