Skip to content

Ask an Expert Honda CBF 250 or Yamaha YBR 250 Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Honda CBF 250 or Yamaha YBR 250

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Newoldbiker

Sep 10

Newoldbiker says:

Honda CBF 250 or Yamaha YBR 250

Any owners out there?  Thinking of upgrading from a CBF 125.  What are they like on the motorway?  How many mpg do you get.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (07 September 2010 19:04)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Interesting Idea...

I waited and waited for an owner to write in but I think they are busy riding (maybe haven't run out of fuel yet)...
I thought of buying a CBF250 last year and when I first came back to biking but never did. The attraction of trivially simple maintenance, light weight and economy was quite strong but what put me off was concern over very frequent servicing and poor lights (not halogen).
In the end I bought a ZXR 250 which has larger service intervals and is quite a bit faster. It could hold 70mph pretty much every where (in fact it could probably do 80mph most places when wound up) but I wouldn't expect a 250 single with 20BHP to equal this. Your cruising speed is likely to be circa 65mph and acceleration to this will be limited making Motorways and fast A roads a bit of a struggle (In the last twenty years since 250 four strokes were popular most cars have become substantially faster - even the Ninja 250 had to be really boiled to stay with traffic travelling on dual carriageways with roundabouts etc and a genuinely quick car used to leave me...).
The quoted economy by MCN is nothing special and I would expect much more. How much more is difficult but I would be very disappointed with less than 80mpg+ on a longer trip since the Kawasaki Z200 (circa 1978) used to return this most of the time and EFI is supposed to improve things - It probably does my ZXR250 twin returned 74mpg on longer trips (compared to about 65 from a GSX250 of the same era to the Z200)
In the end though I would recommend something bigger if you can. Something like a CB500/ER5 or even a Deauville is much more pleasant to ride and doesn't really cost that much more to run. (Almost all 600s will do about 60mpg+ on a longer trip and a CB500/ER5 should be even better)

Reply to this Topic
Newoldbiker

Sep 10

Newoldbiker says:

250's

Thanks very much - very interesting

Reply to this Topic
clarker63

Jan 08

clarker63 says:

cbf250

I've got a 2006 CBF250 and it does 70mpg - mostly at top speed of around 65-70 mph (depending upon wind direction!). I moved up from a YBR125 which did about 100mpg but it was considerably slower for my dual carriage way commute of 50 miles per day - with big hills. The CBF is much more agricultural than I expected from a honda (I have a fireblade for weekends), sounding more like a lawn mower with a few loose nuts chucked in for good measure. However, its a good compromise on economy and speed. I would be surprised if you can get 70mpg out of an older 500. If I thought I could get similar fuel economy I would swap, but none of the sites seem to suggest I would get this.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Thanks for replying...

Thanks for replying.
Its nice to hear about the CBF250 and the YBR125. Both handsome bikes and classic commuter choices (as is the CBF125 too).
I would be devastated if I ever saw mpg figures as bad as those that MCN get on my commute since the only time my mpg dips anywhere close to the MCN figures is when I am doing regular short thrashes into town - not what I do and very misleading compared to car figures. My commute is between 55 and 60 miles each way of A roads with a little filtering at the end. The bike gets plenty of chance to warm up and I typically travel with the traffic opening up the deau only once or so to clear a slow "obstacle".
I stand by my figures - I had my ER6 for 34K and the ZXR for 12K and monitored the actual fuel used and the mileage most fill ups (I used fill up every day on the ER and every other day on the ZXR). Since getting the Deau I have discovered fuelly.com which states I am getting between 56-58 (andy949494) over the nearly 9K I have had it (Its got better since the recent service must of been the clean).
My friend who had an ER5 did claim that on a trip from Eastbourne to London he was getting 70mpg and the CB500 I used to ride (regularly) as a courtesy bike did drink less fuel than my ER6 so I am reasonably confident that very high 60s would be possible. Just not around town or when challenging sports cars...
Andy.

Reply to this Topic
clarker63

Jan 08

clarker63 says:

cb250 vs 500s

Interesting! Just purchased a BMW 650 CS which is supposed to do 70 mpg. Will find out when I manage to get out on it.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

BMW F800 Economy...

I've replaced the Deau with a F800S and have done about 1000 miles so far. It is much better than anything else I have owned for mpg (including the 250 but also better than the ER6, Deau, Hornet). When you thrash it repeatedly or travel at silly speeds (significantly higher than 70 when its returning more than 66) the economy doesn't look that different but if you  travel on a mostly closed throttle it is substantially better than other bikes.  I notice this most when in an urban environment travelling at 40, 50 or 60 mph but in the same mix of traffic conditions that I was getting 56 out of the Deau I am getting a regular 72-76 average (and had a high for one fill-up of 80mpg (all mpg as measured by fuelly). I'm genuinely surprised. I was expecting 5-10mpg better (Deaus are quite thirsty being heavy, with shaft drive (increased losses) and having a large fairing) but I am getting 15!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices