Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

southy1981

Sep 10

southy1981 says:

Oil level check

Hi everyone, pretty easy question!

I have a Yamaha Majesty 250 S reg (1998).

I read in the manual that you warm the bike up first for a few minutes, then check the level on the dipstick, i did this and there did not seem to be much. However, after about 5 mins of leaving it, there then become a slight increase on the dipstick.
I rode home, so engine was fully warm, checked the dipstick again and it was on the maximum mark.

Please someone tell me the way to do it, as when i had my R6 i did it from cold, and my R1 had a level glass!!!

Thanks
Andy

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 September 2010 17:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Oil Level

I have an Aprilia Leonardo 250 Scooter with that engine . I would check the level when cold before going out . On the other hand when you change the oil it is done when the engine is warm .To do the check rest the dipstick in the hole without screwing it .The difference between max. and min. on mine is 500cc . Book says do the check when the engine is cool .

Reply to this Topic
southy1981

Sep 10

southy1981 says:

Oil Check

Thank you, will give it a try. Would rather it be bang on than ride around with low oil.
So just to clarify, do the check with engine cold, and do it when it is warn after doing an oil change?!

Reply to this Topic
bossmanjay

Jun 10

bossmanjay says:

Oil level

Always check your oil when cold. Once the engine has warmed up there will be oil all over the engine and you need to wait until it has settled back into the sump before you can get an accurate reading. Usually the oil level should be between the max & min mark on you dipstick or window.

Reply to this Topic
southy1981

Sep 10

southy1981 says:

Oil Level after shock absorber change

Sorry to bring this question alive again, i have posted on a couple more forums but to no avail!!

i have just had to replace the two rear shock absorbers on my 1998 Yamaha Majesty 250, after one broke and started leaking oil.
The ones i took off were definatly not the originals because with the scooter on the centre stand you could hardly turn the back wheel.
The two i ordered, recieved and fitted just now lift the rear wheel off the floor by a couple of cm's.
Took it for a ride and it feels fine, when i got home i checked my oil, now it is just below the half way line, i know i checked it yesterday and it was near the top mark.
So, by raising the engine from the rear so the oil tips forward making it go down on the dipstick, will it be ok to add more oil to bring the level up??
Because, when the engine was in the lower position and the oil is tipped back would that mean i have been underfilling the engine??
Hope this doesnt sound like complete rubbish!!!!

Anyones thoughts or comments or even solution would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Andy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices