Skip to content

Discuss This Final two rounds key to Shakey’s future World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Final two rounds key to Shakey’s future

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Final two rounds key to Shakey’s future

Shane Byrne has admitted that his hopes of becoming a regular podium man in 2010 have failed to materialise after struggling to replicate his practice and testing pace in the races. With just two rounds of the championship remaining, Byrne sits 12th in the standings and knows that he has to secure good results in an effort to impress any...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 September 2010 16:57)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
leecho

May 09

leecho says:

windy12

you are spot on, shakey is a lot better than his results show, if he was on the works ducati i think he would of won the championship.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

not so sure

Shakey is a bigger talent than people have given him credit for as i stated earlier, But i dont think a works a Ducati ride would have made a big enough difference to win him the championship . The advancements in traction control and all aspects of electronic management have removed the advantage the twins had over the inline fours. The added power the four produce has put an end to the v twin dominance.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Drivel and shite the last load of posts

CCB excepted this time. Talking sense with the twin vs four argument and the role of electronics.

Here we go again with the jingoistic nonsense. 'The poor little Brit boy shunned because of those flashy Europeans'.

Please tell me why would a team manager employ a world class rider - as Shakey surely is - pay him a very good salary, just to give him inferior equipment to run around mid pack? This is not what sponsors put up the big wedge for. Kindergarten conspirators to the fore once more.

Shakey and Checa started the season on the same equipment; a hair's breadth away from the Xerox boys. The way teams work a pecking order establishes itself , the superior performing rider generally (but not always) gets first dibs on any performance improvements that become available. Checa very quickly asserted himself as this man in the Althea team. The improvement came in the form (as they generally do nowadays) in the form of a new chip. The 1198 is almost at the end of its lifecycle. It's a mature design, so there's not going to be a lot of difference between machines.

Shakey's problem this year as I understand it was the ride by wire throttle not giving him the oh so important feeling he desired. Perhaps this is an area some adapt to better than others. Having the balls to trust the electronics and over ride years of conditioning from their seat of the pants sensor. If you'll recall Shakey experimented with good old fashioned throttle cables mid season.

As for the AMA, I just threw that in there because it fitted. Highly unlikely Shakey would be offered a ride over that way. The AMA has enough domestic talent in what sounds like a very competitive and exciting season this year.

Windy, sorry I just have to have another crack at you. Both Spies and the CE11 got the same scheduled engine upgrades at Laguna. Nothing else to do with it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jonnyrocket

Mar 09

jonnyrocket says:

Wendy and the boys

Garbage...shakey has the same package and so does ben and colin, there is no favouritism here...what are the sponsors going to think eh!  You do your best with what you're got and shakey needs to pull the pin and get some podiums...or it's BSB if he's lucky.  Best of luck to him.

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Missed Opportunity

Shane should have gone with the factory Ducati to WSB in 2004 following his BSB title and WSBK victories as a wild card at Brands. However he chose for whatever reasons to go into MOTO GP. I believe that if 04 was a learning year then in 2005 hecould have mounted a serious challenge. He is still a massive talent and could win the BSB title again no problem. Come home Shane.

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

Re Nostro

What rubbish.

Spies was given better equipment to race on his home track or that was the official line, in truth they knew Rossi was going and made sure he was happy and progressing.  Spies will beat Rossi of that I am sure.  When riders are both superb the bike will be the difference.

If you all think that large firms behave fairly and honourably you are well mistaken.  Ducati was leaving WSBK they could really upset their customers if they were not careful, a few well chosen extra parts to Checa and much of the heat is off them.  Ducati fully understand their image. 

Riders do not in any of the World series have huge differences on the table without good reason, equipment or injuries, it just does not happen.

Maybe in your dreams if you had been a rider, but in reality no.

This is top level racing not a 125 home series.

This looks like it could cost a rider his career, I agree with some others too about sponsorship, he may not bring enough sponsorship compared to the many other riders knocking on the door of WSBK.

This is not feeling sorry for ourselves or a poor Brit rider, this is the harsh reality of bike racing, that happens in BSB never mind at this level.

I do not agree Nostro about Shakey not getting in to AMA, he had a BSB title and it adds a story to AMA someone for their home talent to beat of standing, it would be up to Shakey to make sure he got a better seat than Hodgson did if he took it, it could be one decent years pay then nothing of he got it wrong.

Shakey was good on a four, did well on a poor Suzuki which claimed many top riders and brilliant on the Hydrex Honda, really put the cat amongst the pigeons when there were well funded top teams not like now.

I would like to see him battling top 3 in AMA, even better if he won that title too, but difficult to get a ride on a bike capable of doing that.

Most other riders after winning a championship for a manufacturer would have been well looked after, Shane stuck loyally with the manufacturer and this time was let down.  If he had won BSB on a Yamaha it may well have been a different story.

Reply to this Topic
leecho

May 09

leecho says:

nostro w.t.f

nostro, do you think bradley is getting the same kit as terol lol, windy12 is right again, seen it to many times with british riders, just hope it does not finish cal of like it did jt.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

right and wrong leecho

I tend to agree with Nostro on the superbike motogp thing, it works in levels, in factory teams there will always be a number one rider, they both get the same bike at the start of the season, but if one is beating the other convincingly they will get the updated parts first. Checas kicked Shakeys arse this year and was a bloody good moto gp rider not so long ago, a better pedigree than Shakey i might add.

The Bradley smith point does carry some weight but thats the sponsors supporting their man, there not true works team anyway are they? so in sense can be run by any biggoted twat who got the money to indulge themselves. At Moto GP level it cost s too much for that.

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

think a bit first...

top rider straight with everyone??  hardly.

Ducati are leaving the championship they knew this a long time ago.

Haga had a battle with one of the best riders of our time and nearly won, Fabrizio improved, neither of those riders have been told the truth during this season, Haga seemed very unsettled.

Now in hindsight this could be because as a very experienced racer things werent going as they normally would, maybe no talks of the future, not much development especially long term, Haga may either have wondered what was going on or what sort of cowboy outfit he had joined.

There could have been leaks hence Tardozzi's exit and so on.

You reckon that a manufacturer which sells its goods on the back of its racing background which is quitting the sport and passing its flag to privateer firms would do nothing to prepare the ground?

Just be straight with Haga and Fabrizio, deal with the private teams the same and just see what happens to their image and sales after they quit??

Very unlikely, I would go as far as to say that a top ex rider such as Checa could have been brought in and given slightly better equipment all subsidised by Ducati to prepare the ground for their exit, few people are saying much because Checa has done so well, ask yourself would it be the same if they finished where the privateer Ducatis usually finish in years excluding the Biaggi extra help years?

I bet Haga and Fabrizio are sat there thinking they have been decent and staright with them too!!

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

ducati Riders

Windy just look at the pedigree of the riders youve named and it should answer itself as to why checa has faired better than the rest. Checa has been a bloody good rider in his time winning in the top class afew times and has still got the speed and knowledge in his locker even in his advancing years.

Haga has been a great rider in WSB over the years but never quite got the title, it was his to lose last year and he managed to throw it away. By his own addmition hes lost his bottle a little this year are a couple of really bad crashes and its time to retire.

Fabrizio aint that good, a couple of wins to catch the eye when the due was the dominant bike but nowt since.

Shakey isnt happy according to the info about the electronics on the latest bike according to nostro and after some thought it makes perfect sense.

The Ducati itself is at the end of its development run as are the twins in racing, i bet there not much differnce between the factory stuff and the bike shakey and checa ride.

Times have changed, the inline four with its electronics and higher power output have surpassed the v twins and Ducati know it, which is the real reason they are withdrawing in my mind

Thev Aprilla V four is the beast for the future and it wont surprise me if Ducati dont come back in the future with one themselves

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices