Skip to content

General France? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > France?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

France?

doing a long weekend with some mates going round some of the war memorials in france, apart from ypres and somme anyone else know interesting places to go, also need some biker friendly B & B's if anyone knows of any. Just an excuse for the wife to let me out and get drunk for a weekend to be honest........

Paul

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 September 2010 21:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Here..

looks nice doesn't it?...it's where my Great Uncle and 20,000 others disappeared without trace....He was 38 years old tho',which was probably twice as old as most of them that were there.:mellow:

Paschaendale.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
foxman

Aug 02

foxman says:

There are plenty of WWII

all through Normandy and if you can make it as far as the Cherbourg peninsula, or even just beyond Le Havre, then you are in D-Day territory. Nearer is the memorial in Dieppe to the "test" for d-day.

I think Oradour-sur-Glane will be toofar as it is down near Limoges, but a scarier place you could not go to - it is where French villagers were slaughtered by Germans on there way to try and repel the Allies and they have left the village as the German soldiers left it - burnt out, pock marked by bullets and the feeling I got I have yet to find any words to describe :huh:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

thanks

foxman, we do have time to get there, and i will now. Oldish thats one of the places we're going. Theres some trenches to walk through in the somme that we're going to, its something i have wanted to do and visit for a long time, your place is def. on the agenda. Next trip is to auswitch (sorry for spellng).

Very moving places these........

Reply to this Topic
MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

well

funny you should ask this ! pmsl just got back yesterday for La Belle France!

Try Oradour Sur Glaines ,( Limoges )for a moving place to visit ,was hard not to tear up a little ( will do French thread soon with more info )

We stayed at a friends house in the Haute Vienne ,which was a nice area with plenty to see and do and only 300 miles from the Caen ferry ( We passed some War Memorials on teh way down ) .So that area includes Limoges and Angleme ,but we stayed inbetween St.Junien and Rochechouart .TBH there's enough camping and b & b to suit every pocket and whim .And the French don't seem to mind us bikers !

Maxie x

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Follow the old

front line from Ypres (wipers!)

Down to Arras. See some war memorials en route.

Found the names of Gills great grandad and his brother in the list of "no known grave"

Good scenery and good roads (the roads in Belgium are shite!)

Then head for Rouen, bit of lunch and off to the Normandy coast, for a WW11 fix.

Have good time 

Reply to this Topic
Dazthenewbie

Jul 07

Dazthenewbie says:

Got to go Oradour mate

What a lovely place it was back in its day, really interesting but sad too, if you visit one place get there.

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

thanks all

of you, i,m planning  to visit all the places you have recommended, or as many as i can fit in!

Paul

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Auschwitz

Went to Auschwitz this summer by car (actually did 10 countries in 14 days, 2880 miles). Its 18hrs from Corby to Krakow, but its a very boring journey, and not one i'd want to do on a bike. The first piece of motorway we came to in Poland(Berlin to Krakow) had a 30mph limit for no other reason than the poor state of the road surface. Southern Poland is beautiful, the people are very friendly, but next time i'd probably go Germany/Austria/Slovakia to get there.

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

Or pm me an email

As I have a number of routes which visit many of the WW1 sites of varying duration.  DB

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle