You are in... Forums > General > General > Long term storage tips

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

djpert1

Feb 10

djpert1 says:

Long term storage tips

Going up to uni in London on Saturday and taking the Bandit down to a mates garage in Devon to store. A bit sad as the longest I have gone without riding the bike since I had it was 2 days! Going for a nice long ride on my fav. roads tomorow before it is put away. Not sure how long it is gonna be hidden away for as not sure what the parking deal in London will be so gonna get the bike ready for long term storage.

What do I need to do to stop it rusting and falling apart?

Will give it a damn good clean and polish before she is put away. Should I disconnect the battery? Also, as I changed the oil on sunday, will it need it again? Also, WD40 everything? Drain the carbs and tank?

Anything I missed?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (16 September 2010 00:19)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Does..

your Mate ride?...if he does he could keep it going for you. If not, good ( indoor cover ) lots of 365 and get yourself down to Devon at least every Month.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

How long are you leaving it idle?

if it's just until the new year, you don't have to worry _that_ much.  If it's for a whole year, I'd try to arrange to have someone come along and start it once every now and then, and move it, so the brakes are not binding.   Best of all, if you can get it run around by someone _reliable_ once every month or so.

Trouble with that, you might find the person takes it as an invitation to have a free bike for their use indefinitely - some bastard did that to me years ago.  They asked if they could use it for some specific need, sure I said, next thing I heard, they were using it every day and calling it their own.

Anyway - grease every joint, drip oil down every cable.  Vaseline all the hoses and anything rubber, it'll stop it cracking and drying.  Make sure you get all the crap off it first, and apply decent polish (auto-glym or whatever), and I might be inclined to get it supported on the frame, not the tyres, or you'll get the tyres squared off in places.  And maybe flat-spots on the wheel bearings.

Definitely disconnect the battery, remove it from the bike, in fact.  The old oil won't expire if you changed it on Sunday.  Don't drain the tank, but don't leave much in it.  Metal covered in polish/oil etc. won't rust.   That's all I can think of for now, the others will have better ideas, I'm sure.

Good luck at Uni.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

slowlearner

undelieveble....who would do such a thing?:shock:

Reply to this Topic
adrenalinrush

Aug 05

paddock stand

Put it on paddock stands to keep the pressure and weight of the tyres and all the above

Reply to this Topic
djpert1

Feb 10

djpert1 says:

cheers guys

Reliable advice as usuall. Took her out for a long ride today for the last time.:upset: Awesome ride going from bath onto the A368 until the A38 to Bridgwater. Then took it along the A39 coastal road to Dunster and up onto Exmoor to see my mate at Wheddon Cross. After that along the A361 'valley road' down tiverton way and took the A39 back home. Loved every second. Got the tyres nice and sticky!:wink:

A bit pissed off though cos have only managed to enjoy a week with the 35mm jack up bone (done wonders with the handling) and the new chain and sprockets. :mad: Oh well!

Think if I get a free weekend, it is valve clearance time. Yaaaayyy!!:lol: That will be fun.............. not!

Might take it up to the big smoke if I can find some good safe parking where no student d*ck heads will mess with it! Had enough of that living in the centre of Bath and working in Bristol (car crime capital of the country - lost my tax disc and holder after fitting them 2 hours before on my birthday!!!).

Should be good but a bit nervous about the big move. Sure it will be fine but I am really gonna miss my beautiful, imperfect, ageing but glorious bike.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
jabman

Jun 10

jabman says:

more tips

stuff a cloth in the end of the exhaust to stop moist air travelling down it and rusting any open valves.

add some fuel stabiliser to the petrol to stop it going off and leaving nasty deposits 

just google winterizing motorcycle for more tips!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

The Bandit manual

recommends a spoonfull of oil down each plughole then crank it over a few times. Also cover the air intake with a rag. It says also to fill the tank before putting a petrol stabilizer in the fuel. Then run the engine for a few minutes to allow the stabilized fuel to enter the injectors. It also says to fill it with oil all the way up to the filler cap.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

It depends on how long

stick on a paddock stand or on the centre stand if it has one.

Buy an optimate charger, dogs bollocks!

Give a good spray round with WD40 on the chrome, bear metal etc.

Not sure about draining tank and all that, never had one off the road long enough to need to do it. I know unleaded can leave a sticky residue in the carbs.

Valve clearances used to be a piece of piss on the ole gsxr's/bandits. (unless they have changed the design recently) Was an easy diy with a haynes manual

Hope this helps

Reply to this Topic
SheffieldSteel

Feb 09

Take a leaf from P49

His Ariel is his Dining room show piece, sat in front of the radiator to keep it nice and warm.

Before I settled with the missus, my bikes used to sit in me living room, if tele were crap, I'd just sit and admire me bike, or get the pollishing kit out.

You'll probably find somewhere to keep it when ya settled down in London village.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices