Skip to content

Discuss This Learners pass test to be told they can still only ride 125s General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Learners pass test to be told they can still only ride 125s

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Learners pass test to be told they can still only ride 125s

Newly qualified riders are being told they can still only ride 125s because the bike they passed their test on is not on a Driving Standards Agency list.  The list sets out which bikes learners can use in the test in order to qualify to ride bigger machines.   But many motorcycles said to meet the requirements are not included.  As...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 September 2010 16:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

That is fucking DISGUSTING...

A 125 is a 125 is a 125.... they have engine, brakes and lights same as the rest of them.

If you're competant riding that on the test, its OBVIOUS you'll be able to ride any bike you want to! Just another piece of British beauracratic bollocks to rake more money in for the hole in the state coffers that the government has left us all saddled with.

Thank FUCK I did my DAS on a Kwak ER-5

Reply to this Topic
nwlondoner

Jan 08

nwlondoner says:

Motorcycle Minimum Test Vehicles

List of motorcycles approved for the practical bike test (PDF, 18K)

Minimum test vehicle requirements for mopeds and motorcycles

Why are the rules not made clear to riders at the time of booking the motorcycle practical test? It's shocking that the riders only found out AFTER they had already passed the test!

Surely any 125cc motorcycle (or scooter) should be acceptable if can reach the minimum speed requirement of 100 kph (62.5 mph). Why do regulations always have to be so complicated?

Reply to this Topic
Biketester

Apr 10

Biketester says:

A1 or A2 ?

The difference between the A1 and A2 (light and standard motorcycle) test has been in place for years!

In a nutshell after passing an A1 test you are limited to 125 cc machines. Passing on an A2 machine allows you to ride bikes upto 25 Kw for two years and then no restriction after that.

The main difference for 125 cc machines is whether or not the manufacturers maximum design speed is at least 100 km/h (about 63 mph)

More info at DirectGov

The list of machines that DSA know about  is here.

Reply to this Topic
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

I see your point biketester... but to be fair, most of those chinese 125s are BLATANT ripoffs of the Honda CG125..... They just put a different name on the crankcase covers and embellish the rocker cover a little.

Reply to this Topic
ragnar1

Oct 03

ragnar1 says:

A1 or A2

At the School that i work for we got a copy of the list (already out of date). Whan a student was about to do his test I ask a examiner if the scooter was a1 or a2 and  got a reply that he thought it was a2.

So he used his bike (I had taken a Honda Dylan over to the centre just in case) the Mod 1 was carried out by a different  examiner who check the list after the test, telling the student his bike was a1, so he had to retake the test again (free of charge) after a fuss was make to the dsa.

Why an updated list is not on their website god only knows

Reply to this Topic
supaste

Aug 10

supaste says:

I got worried then..

I passed my full test last week on my Sym XS125k and I feel relived and lucky that my bike was even exepted as a A2 bike - even though it clearly is and should be. I'm 18 and just left for uni so it would have been a right pain in the arse to redo my test because of a load of bureaucratic bollocks.

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

why

All 125s create about at least 10 hp, why is the speed relevant seeing as the test is rarely done at speed? Stupid stupid EU rule that britain blindly follows that is just plain irrelevant and stupid. *sigh* I'm so jumping ship at the first opportunity....

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

license cock ups

Is there a list for CARS that can be used for the car test???

Fecking EU. Time to vote UKIP methinks.

I had 2 TZR125s, and they would BOTH do an indicated 100mph, so taking into account speedo innacuracy, they would do 85-90mph. Obviously, they were derestricted

Worryingly, the list shows that the Aprillia RS125 needs "evidence of restriction". Now these bikes can only be sold to a learner if they are restricted.

Reply to this Topic
cypekZX6R

Sep 10

cypekZX6R says:

I have tried to pass my MOD1 on Kaisar 125-23 (CBR125 copy) and I've been told it will be A1 license BUT I can go and do a dyno run and when I come back with printout that bike can do 62.5mph+ (which it can) my license would be automatically upgraded to A2. So that is not a really big deal... But I agree it is freaking annoying... Fortunatelly I've failed my test and decided I'll go for DAS :)

Reply to this Topic
coxyjm

May 10

coxyjm says:

man up

if you want to ride a "big" bike, you should your test on a big bike, you are probably going to kill yourself if you pass your test on a 125, then go out and buy an R6.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices