Skip to content

General Am I gonna get in trouble with my insurace company? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Am I gonna get in trouble with my insurace company?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

djpert1

Feb 10

djpert1 says:

Am I gonna get in trouble with my insurace company?

When I started my policy, as I had no idea how much I was gonna use the bike, I said I would do around 5000miles this year. Had the bike now for 5 months now and have already done 10,000 miles!!!! How could they tell I exceeded and is it illegal? Also, when I renew next year, if I have to tell em the mileage and I have exceeded it, will the shove a pole up my arse?:shock::lol:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 September 2010 17:52)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

I'd have thought

just off the top of my head, that you should talk to them so they can revise the estimate of your mileage. Otherwise if you have an accident they may decide not to cover you. the ways they can check mileage are by looking at the bike, or if older, looking at your MOTs.

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

If u have a crash.........

They may want to look at the mot.!:shock: If that has the mileage on it they'll know how many u've done and not pay out!:upset:
Any excuse to not pay and they'll use it.
I would say, if ur only 5 months in and that far over, it'd be a good idea to call them.
U might be surprised, when i've been gettin quotes and they've been high i've tried lowering the allowed mileage to reduce it but it didn't make much difference.

Of course, the alternative is to not crash or have ur bike stolen, that way they'll never know. But.........................................

U can't guarantee that so its up to u!!:blink:

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Be assured

thats one of the things they will check so they can wriggle out. Stay safe and phone em tomoz.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

general rule

with estimated mileage is "please notify us if you are likely to exceed this estimate".

For me, I use the bike almost exclusively for commuting (I only have a short run to work) - therefore the mileage is pretty straightforward to calculate - unless I change jobs (having a longer run to work).

Its when you throw in some pleasure runs / touring that will bang miles up.

Your MOT certificate will have the mileage on it - and they could ask for records in the event of a claim - and could be enough to refuse the claim (voiding the insurance). It could also, because of the void insurance, lead to a "driving without insurance" charge / conviction which carries 6 - 8 penalty points.

BUT: telling them you are doing a higher mileage may, or may not put your premium up (you'd have to ask your insurer); on one hand higher mileage means higher risk, but if you go out year-round (some do, inc me) there is a train of thought that year-round riders have a generally lower accident risk than summer-only riders, because a) they are more aware of grip levels on a poor surface and b) they aren't rusty skills-wise after a six month lay up.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

If the bikes coming off he road...

then the mileage will sort itself out in time:wacko:

(or buy another speedo:lol:)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy