Skip to content

Discuss This Colin Edwards to partner Cal Crutchlow in 2011 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Colin Edwards to partner Cal Crutchlow in 2011

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Colin Edwards to partner Cal Crutchlow in 2011

Colin Edwards has signed a new Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha deal at the Motorland Aragon track in Spain today. The Texan’s new contract means he will partner British rider and former World Supersport champion Cal Crutchlow in the 2011 MotoGP world championship. The 36-year-old has raced for Herve Poncharal’s Tech 3 squad since 2008 and during that period the popular American...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (19 September 2010 18:22)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

Sniphotographer

I too remember Edwards rubbishing his bike and his reward is to keep his ride. JT who has shown complete loyalty to Yamaha in MGP & WSB gets the bullet for a performance similar to Edwards'...

Its all about the money, but not the paying viewers' who want to watch close racing but are increasingly getting a GP like procession.

Reply to this Topic
Shepshep

Aug 09

Shepshep says:

If Colin was British

I like Colin Edwards, but if he was a British rider, he would have been sacked and back in WSB midway through the 2005 season.  Does anybody believe that if Haydon was British he would still be on a works bike. Barros had 18 full seasons in the top class and never finished the season in the top three in all that time.  His first three seasons not higher than 12th.

Sod Moto GP, i am sticking with WSB, I bet Crutchlow gets the sack next year when he does not win a race in the first half season!

Reply to this Topic
jonnyrocket

Mar 09

jonnyrocket says:

CE

He's an American nuff said...the bias over here in the States towards their riders is so strong it stinks...why do you think the Indy race was red-flagged...yep you guessed it a yank went down!  Colin is still in the team for popularity and money only, not because of his form, also to keep the good old biased US public interested.  I like him as a rider, but if Cal and Col don't hit-it-off I fear for Crutchlow's future in Moto Gp solely cos he's a Brit in a frog team with little patience for UK riders.

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Good

Well Deserved and a real gentleman.

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Waste

Nice bloke Colin

I take my hat off to him as he is happy to just ride around at the back of the field week after week with no chance of ever winning.

waste of a ride though ! but that's what makes moto gp so crap and boring

Do they actualy race outside the top 5 ?

Reply to this Topic
johnnyboysblade

Jul 08

mark my words!!

Colin will be in the top seven riders again next year i gaurantee it, he's a rider who doesnt do well when he has a superior team mate, just look at how he did with Rossi and now with Spies, he's beaten before he cocks his leg over the bike, whereas '08 and '09 he was a top six rider consistently cos by having Toseland as a team mate Colin knew he had the edge and he'll do the same with Cal, im not saying Cal wont beat him now and again cos he probably will but Colin will end up higher in the standings at the end of the year mark my words!!

Ive admired Colin over the years cos when he's on form he's a pleasure to watch, but ive seen enough below par races this year to know he's taking a valuable ride at Tech 3, i'd like to have seen De Puniet or one of the ex 250 riders on there who would give it everything or fall trying, hayho, money talks as they say!!

Reply to this Topic
donaldo1

Aug 10

donaldo1 says:

cal

oh dear. another brit sent to the wolves. i do hope he proves me wrong? 

Reply to this Topic
kaiser954rr

Apr 10

kaiser954rr says:

past glory

Total gp races-132. Total wins-a big fat zero. Only been on the steps 11 times. Only 1 top 3 finish last year. Nothing this year and now another chance to do naff all for another year. That Assen 06 race was great right up until he 'got off' and let the other nice but not that good yank win. Between them, Nicky and Collin, 261 starts and 3 wins. Not very good chaps. Must do better and i think Nicky could but Collin, no. Its time to call it a day and let a young, fresh and skilled rider take over.

Reply to this Topic
Vee4pilot

Feb 10

Vee4pilot says:

Yamaha USA

Did not bring Spies over to the satellite GP team, nor did they pay for Colin Edwards "time" in the GP's.  For not one moment at any time was Yamaha USA was involved in any such RIDICULOUS notion.  Where do you guys come up with such nonsense.  Show me the facts to anyone that has voiced it in this blog or in the past as I doubt anyone could prove such a thing 

There is no reason to make up stories just because Edwards is there and someone doesn't like it!  And to answer your question......NO I don't think he should be here.....but he is.

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Vee4pilot

No, Yamaha US didn't bring Spies to Tech 3 - that was solely at the behest of Yamaha Japan. 

However, they ARE bankrolling Colin's wages so that he can keep his ride in the team next year. That's the only way Tech 3 can afford to pay him. There's no official Yamaha seat in Tech 3 next year, with Crutchlow salaried by Tech3/Dorna and Edwards salaried by Tech 3/Yamaha US (Tech 3's contribution to the wages being underwritten by Monster). 

How you could not know that Yamaha US is funding Edwards is pretty odd to me as it's been reported everywhere and confirmed by Poncharal himself. There are reports in many publications but here's a quote from an article on motogp.com, where Poncharal clarifies the situation:

----- 
“Yamaha USA would really love to keep him as a rider next year and for the future as an ambassador, so this weekend is very important in this respect. Hopefully by the end of it we can have a position from Yamaha USA that we will explain to Colin and by Misano we should be a bit clearer," he added, hinting that Yamaha USA will be contributing to Edwards' wages.
------ 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle