Skip to content

Discuss This Near-standard S1000RR hits 202mph First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Near-standard S1000RR hits 202mph

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Near-standard S1000RR hits 202mph

A standard BMW S1000RR with an off-the-shelf Akrapovic exhaust, a smaller rear sprocket and some gaffer tape over slots in the screen cracked 202mph from a standing start in one mile. The speed run was part of an experiment by Performance Bikes magazine to discover the new BMW’s ultimate speed potential, and is featured in this month’s issue, out October 6. The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 September 2010 17:13)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zepper252

Sep 10

zepper252 says:

Confirmed at Bonnie

Here you go fellas, backed up by a bog stock S1000rr--actually San Diego BMW's dealership demo bike. 

Its official now.    http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/bmw-s1000rr-sets-production-1000cc-land-speed-record/

When your at hellforleathermagazine.com you may also want to check out the official street photos of the ZX10R!

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

Jesus....

At that speed, the tingling problem through the bars on that bike must be awful

Reply to this Topic
fireflud

Sep 09

fireflud says:

check your math

Gavinfdavis. nice try with the logic. But i'm afraid you're assuming drag has a linear correlation with speed - it doesn't. Jap bike owners please calm down. They can't accept their pride and joy is being obliterated by this machine. BMW vs Jap Bike fanbois is almost becoming analogus to Apple fanbois vs haters. I sense one reason why it gets stick is because the 2nd hand market for it is non-existent and so owning one would be pricey - thereby opening it to be made to look normal by attacking it on such forums by those who can't affort it. Twobike/meak9 - BWM is obliterating the competition in the stock race outfits (also in WSBK). The fact that so many people have commented (included yourself) shows there is interest let alone click on it to read it - no matter how pointless it may be (that applies to many here). busa666 - busa's aren't anywhere as nimble. Going by your logic anything going slower on two wheels in a straight line would be classified as "whats the fuss about". Agreed - BMW are getting a lot of coverage, but MCN aren't the only guilty ones. This bike has so much top end it's silly - so for me it's not suprising it can do this. But I agree "near-stock" is a very subjective term.

Reply to this Topic
gavinfdavies

Aug 09

gavinfdavies says:

my maths...

"...and assuming the square rule for drag vs speed..."

This means I am assuming that when speed doubles, the drag, and hence the power required to overcome it also doubles. The friction from rolling resistance i expect would increase linearly with speed, but would become dominated by the drag rapidly.

Hence me sqaring the fractional speed increase needed for my bike to reach 200mph, which gives the fractional increase required in power, in this case speed needs to increase 5/3rds, so drag will increase 25/9ths, as will the power required.

And I'd love a s1000rr, though I'd prefere a neater side panels, less holes etc. But thats just me. If anyone here bought me one as a pressie, you'd not hear a word of complaint.

Reply to this Topic
munkiblingbling

Sep 10

Don't knock it, try it!

At the start of the year I had both a full power Hayabusa and an S1000rr sport in my garage.

Although id have to say the hayabusa is a faster bike, the s1000 is definately quicker.  Plus, the way the beemer makes the power is a lot more useable and the bike itself is so much smaller and easier to ride.

I have since sold the busa.....  I took the bmw on this years cannonball run (which at the time was in standard trim) and got upto an indicated 188 mph and it was still pulling!

In short, doesnt surprise me at all that the bmw is that fast, FACT!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices