Skip to content

Ask an Expert buying my first big bike after learner restrictions New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > buying my first big bike after learner restrictions

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

fitton20

Sep 10

fitton20 says:

buying my first big bike after learner restrictions

hi im stuart and i live in melbourne australia and am about to come of my learner resrtictions in 2 months and am looking to buy my first big bike and was wondering what would be good for me.

im 6"1 and weigh around 70kgs. i want a bike that i can live with to commute to and from uni twice a week which is about a 20 kilometer journey both ways but is also fun to ride when the mood takes me and wont be left for dead on a track as i do occasional track days. price is not really a problem but i want something that is going to last and that im not going to outgrow in a year or two can you help i was leaning towards a zx-6r or a cbr600rr.
cheers in advance stuart

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 September 2010 03:53)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

not sure how

your restrictions work over there, and not sure what experience you have thus far.

Obviously, check what your insurance will be like on the bikes you like - there is no point having a bike thats difficult or impossible to insure.

ZX6R / CBR600RR - it's probably a good idea to go to your dealers and sit on a few different bikes - "sporty" machines aren't for everyone; high pegs and low bars can be uncomfortable. Be aware also that the fairings and plastic bodywork on these can be expensive to fix if dropped or damaged.

As for on track performance, plenty of "lesser" bikes can still put in a decent performance on track in the right hands - a riders skills are probably as important, if not more so, than the machine he has.

Hope that helps a bit, some more info would be useful.

Reply to this Topic
fitton20

Sep 10

fitton20 says:

the

restrictions over here are you are restricted by a power to weight ratio with a maximum of 650cc but most bikes over 400 are heavily restricted in terms of top end power. i have had a bit over a one and a half years of experience on road riding on my 2003 cb250 which i use to commute and have only recently gotten into track racing ive done 4 track days using hire bikes and have done two courses through honda australia on track riding. ive been to the dealers and have sat on them and a few of my friends have sports bikes and i prefer the feel of them compared to a more upright position. and the insurance isnt a problem either as it either as the bike will be under my dads name and so will the insurance and i will just be named as a rider. also i was considering getting some sliders to protect the fairings

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle