Skip to content

Riding & events MCN's guide to urban riding: Filtering Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > MCN's guide to urban riding: Filtering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN's guide to urban riding: Filtering

To make sure you get the most out of your bike in the city MCN has produced a guide to urban riding in association with Spada. Riding in cities requires a completely different set of skills compared to the open road. There are more distractions, more hazards and more corners. This makes it more entertaining than a track day but without...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 October 2010 16:14)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hondajon

Oct 10

hondajon says:

Covering front brake - don't!

Disagree strongly with point 9. Perhaps not the best idea to cover the front brake permanently - better to cover the rear. If you cover the front, you're more likely to grab a handful in a panic, skid and tuck the front end. (And sue MCN for giving bad advice.) Four fingers are better than two for full braking power and finesse. It also prevents the two fingers becoming trapped between the bar and the lever, which reduces the amount of braking power available (unless you have a factory racing team to prep your bike before each ride, your brakes will never be at their best - you might need that extra bit of travel on the lever).

Reply to this Topic
hondajon

Oct 10

hondajon says:

Covering front brake - don't!

Disagree strongly with point 9. Perhaps not the best idea to cover the front brake permanently - better to cover the rear. If you cover the front, you're more likely to grab a handful in a panic, skid and tuck the front end. (And sue MCN for giving bad advice.) Four fingers are better than two for full braking power and finesse. It also prevents the two fingers becoming trapped between the bar and the lever, which reduces the amount of braking power available (unless you have a factory racing team to prep your bike before each ride, your brakes will never be at their best - you might need that extra bit of travel on the lever).

Reply to this Topic
flyingpanintothefire

Aug 02

Wear a flourescent bib

I just had two cops came to my house saying that someone had accused me of impersonating a police officer.......I  do wear an old police hi vis jacket and white helmet as I filter back and fore to work every day. There is no police markings on the jacket and the police were fine with this, in fact they encouraged it.. I can only put it down to some jelous arsehole sitting in a queue whilst I filter past . I must admit that I do also get a few cars move over for me, but that can't be a bad thing, coz I then know they have seen me :-)..

Reply to this Topic
infofreak

Oct 10

infofreak says:

Filtering and the Law

Hi.

I'm new to biking so wanted to check legalities before doing anything like filtering.  I found this which I think you all should be aware of.

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_law.htm

Hope it helps.

Reply to this Topic
gavinfdavies

Aug 09

gavinfdavies says:

filtering

braking - i prefer two fingers as opposed to four (oh er missus! ahem...)  simply because I feel that i have better control of the bars and throttle even when braking (but i do always blip on the down shift - i need my engine braking!).

don't know how you guys in london do it all day, filtering for me is like riding in the snow. at night. in fog. I can do it, but i might not blink for 30 minutes, and by the time i get home my bum has eaten a hole in my boxers! and my leathers infact.

the sad thing is that with even just 10% of car drivers being away with the fairies, even one quick blast of filtering means you're gonna pass at least one car that's an accident waiting to happen.

I can't help thinking that the nice two foot wide strip at the edge of a motorway/dual carridge way by the barrier should be widened to 3 or 4 foot at the expense of the outside lane (after all, lorries don't use it), giving all bikers a special lane. Never happen though.

But then again I believe that all car drivers should have to pass a full bike test before getting a car. Afterall, you have to have a car test to learn to drive a bus or hgv don't you?

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Great advise from this article and the comments. I've filtered a few times, mainly in jams on the M25 Junc 20 to Junc 10 (before the road works)  during bank holidays. I was keeping it slow (15mph ish), pulling in to let "mad" bikers  shoot passed. By the end of it, my jaw felt like the size of David Coulthard's jaw. Took me a few miles to relax in the open road again, but saved a heap off my time. One thing I did read recently (ride I think) is be aware of traffic islands and the little blue "kkep left" arrow. Don't go the wrong side of it, they got done via cctv.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

Tube Strike Chaos

For you guys that don't commute in London, you can only imagin the free for all filtering chaos that assumed Monday morning.........  the guide is good and I do have my hands over the clutch/brake at all times.  Thankfully I have ABS which I totally recommend for this type of riding and has saved me on a couple of occasions.

Cycles, motorbikes, busses, cars, lorries, pedestrians........  who couldn't love filtering :)

As to worrying if you have filtered to the front of the line or not, I don't think this crossed my mind once in the filtering session from Wimbledon to Paddington (8 bloody miles).   I took near on an hour by the time I had parked up grrrrr

The damn scooters are hilarious; see some 60 year old granny going guns off the lights with a point and squirt, 3 inches in front of a 8 ton lorry just so she can gain a whole car length is mental.

Reply to this Topic
Godspeed

Jul 10

Godspeed says:

Horn

I was once told by an experienced biker to try to keep a finger over the horn, cause if someone doesn't see you and starts reversing into you (thanks for that - Mercedes driver!!) you can quickly notify them politely that you are there!

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
PENWELL

Jul 08

PENWELL says:

filtering?

If you would like to watch the 'mother of all filtering' please look on 'YouTube' 'Black Devil-Moscow Ride on R1' Its better seen on a full screen. It certainly made me blink!

Reply to this Topic
mash100

Mar 10

mash100 says:

Mobile phone menace...

Be REALLY careful when you spot that moron a couple of cars ahead with a phone in one hand & a fag in the other! If you are going to gesticulate to him, just make sure its AFTER you've passed him, & not behind hime. The moron I enocuntered recently decided to open his door as I was trying to pass him, & then threaten me with violence, despite the fact I was wearing proper armour & a lid! Still, completely avoidable if I'd politely sounded my horn & then 'waved' at him afterwards.... The other scourge is the school run mum: be VERY afraid early morning & mid-afternoon, especially when you spot a yummy mummy. They tend to turn right without indicating on a whim. You have been warned...... Good article!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices