Skip to content

General Newbie on motorway with neck ache Help!! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Newbie on motorway with neck ache Help!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Newbie on motorway with neck ache Help!!

Hi,

I've been riding for 4 years passed test last year but have only just got a big enough bike to go on motorways.  I have a Kawasaki er6n but i'm getting battered at speeds above 60mph.  I can't afford a screen and the suitable ones for my bike dont look that affective so how can i stop my neck ache.  It feels like my head is being blown off :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 October 2010 10:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

Neck ache

If you can't buy a new screen, then the best advice I could give would be endure it, you'll get used to it :)

I don't have any fairing at all and typically cruise at 80-90 on the motorway when conditions allow... I remember it was fairly intense on the neck at the beginning, but it doesn't bother me much any more.  My neck must have strengthened up :D

Also, try tilting your head up and down a bit... I find a few degrees can make a big difference to how your helmet works in the aerodynamics department - then from there you can try putting your helmet on at a slightly different angle, with the chinbar maybe a fraction higher and lower.  Not too dramatic though, as you obviously must wear your helmet in a fashion that it's gonna do it's job if it needs to :)

Aside from buying a big screen, this is the best advice I can give you I'm afraid!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

neck

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,go slower,ride close up to a big wagon,(only kidding)wear a neck brace,buy a tourer with full screen,buy a car or paint/paper a few ceilings every week to strenghthen your neck muscles like Mike Tyson.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Had on of these

as a courtesy bike the other week  -   found that tipping my head forward to stop too much air pressure getting under my chin helped matters.

In time you'll get used to it.....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

neck ache

i had this problem a few years ago on a sv650,my remedy was to put on higher bars to allow me to be in a more upright sitting position,this may not be a solution for you but think about bar risers,easy to fit and lifts the upper body a bit,less angle on the neck.:smile

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Can't afford a screen?

You can't afford £100 (or less)?

Ask Oldish, he has one he ain't usin':wink:

Reply to this Topic
nev & leanne

Jun 07

nev & leanne says:

Do your

little handies get cold as well :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

get a better helmet...

try my centrurion circa 1974.

its a classic. its made of asbestos and fibreglass.

Reply to this Topic
kinderlingers

May 06

lmao.........

......@ Nev and Leann :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Neck ache

Hey GingerB -

It's posture and tensing as much as anything most of the time.  If you're gripping the bars like grim death, on account of going at faster speeds and all that, it's quite possible it's going to have an effect in the neck after a while.

Look out for tensing the shoulders too - do that for an hour or so, and you'll definitely have neck-ache.

Try rocking your head from side to side, rotate it around to get cricks out of it, and make sure you flex it and your shoulders plenty when you stop, and before you get on in the first place.

You'll get used to it after a while, relax more, and have fewer problems.  If you're worried about neck-ache, you'll tense up more and make it worse!

Reply to this Topic
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Thanks All

Thanks for all useful and none useful advise - much appreciated - I just gonna keep going on short stretches of motorway before i try a long journey - it all a learning curve :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle