Skip to content

Discuss This Laverty stuns WSB paddock at Magny Cours test World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Laverty stuns WSB paddock at Magny Cours test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Laverty stuns WSB paddock at Magny Cours test

Eugene Laverty has admitted he is as surprised as anybody after topping the time sheets at the end of his first ever WSB test at Magny Cours. Riding the Sterilgarda Yamaha R1, Laverty posted an impressive 1.38.8s best using a qualifying tyre but was also one of the pace setters on race rubber. Speaking to MCN from Magny Cours, he said:...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 October 2010 20:40)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

last ni post

"fuck me

looks like this page is now a political tool to express ones greviences over british rule in NI"

Er, no. It had fuck all to do with even imaginary "grievances" about British rule in NI. It was vomited out, perhaps rather clumisily, as a visceral reaction to the memories of the WSBK races when I was treated to the sight of the Ulster flag waving supporters of one of the NI riders.

Given that in NI, complaints are made even about GAA flags, or stickers, being displayed on worker's cars by their colleagues, as being sectarian, the waving of that flag brings back very bad memories for a lot of NI residents.

Perhaps you don't have such memories, but a lot of people have, and as that symbol was used as a backdrop to uvf and uda press conferences, fronted by mac 10 bearing balaclava wearing murderers, you may have an understanding of why it may be offensive to see it flaunted at a bike racing meeting.

If my post was political, then the waving of a flag associated with those who murdered family members, will inevitably be seen to be, also, political. We are now treated to it being waved with the addition of the victory F1 chequered flag at Glasto.

When I lived in NI, I took comfort in Road Racing as being possibly the ONLY sporting arena and area of life that was not riven by sectarianism. I still do, as on the surface of regular life things may seem to have changed, but the reality for my family and friends who remained behind, is quite different.

Hence, my bike racing friends, pointed out that the waving of a myriad of Ulster flags, brought back the reminder that sectarianism is still very much alive in NI, and they were sad to see it alluded to in the world of bike sport.

I certainly don't wish to speak for those who want unification, as I personally, do not. I don't believe I referred to it, or to the brits, at all, being both irish and british myself.

I use the brit passport for countries that are pro british, mainly the US, and the Irish one for countries that are anti british, of which there are sadly too many, given the foreign policy debacles of the last 8 years.

In fact, the british, or more correctly, the English, were the only example/arbiter of fair play in that bitter wee province. I have no affinity whatsoever, with the southern irish, and feel a world apart from their experience, as they have no understanding of the experience of NI residents. Or what it feels like to be kicked unconscious by people draped in that flag, as a young child.

In fact, my friends in London, which I fled to in 1988, are exclusively English.

My apologies for rambling, and mentioning politics. First and last time I will, but Laverty's Irish nationality was mentioned quite a few times in the WSBK commentary, and I have it on good authority that a fair few of the ulster flag waving fan contingent, noticeably squirmed when the Irish nationa anthem was played when Laverty won in WSS.

Now that was nothing, if not political.

Right, I've wasted enough time on this. Really wanted to just say that the sight of the ulster flag, at my beloved bike racing broadcasts, was for me a very unwelcome catalyst for the reactivation of neural pathways I'd rather stay dormant.

mick

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

"the church exists for gaymen (who like little boys)to hide in and give them easy access (and protect them)to children so they can abuse them from a position of trust....."

I'm not religious. Far from it. My own experience was being abused by a teenage altar boy, when I was an 8 year old, and didn't know anything about sex in any form, prior to the unwelcome two year experiences,

Which didn't take until I was eleven, to kick in and ruin my life from that point onwards. It stays with you every day.

I didn't make it as far as the priest.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices