Skip to content

Riding & events MCN's guide to urban riding: Traffic lights Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > MCN's guide to urban riding: Traffic lights

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN's guide to urban riding: Traffic lights

Bikes are great in cities; they are small, nimble and have power-to-weight ratios that would make even top sports cars wince. This means they are almost perfect for standing starts, or traffic lights. To make sure you get away from traffic lights safely and quickly MCN has produced a handy guide in association with Spada. 1. It may be tempting to focus...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (12 October 2010 11:47)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

Good habits

Some good tips here for urban riding, i don't agree that you should try and squeeze a shoulder check in before moving off, unless your changing position to turn (but you should already be there) Our main hazards are in front and cross roads ether side. be ready to give way to emergency vehicles. Boring i know but it is beneficial to hold the bike on the front break and popping it in neutral, keep the left foot on the peg, amber, gear, GO Histy www.motorcycle-training.info

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

Not to happy with number 8.  On some bikes that could mean one hell of a lot of revs and a loud noise. and if u get the clutch wrong a wheely.

Reply to this Topic
rjdjones

Feb 05

rjdjones says:

Mirror, mirror, mirror

Can't emphasise number 1 enough.

At lights all I was really concerned about was waiting for the lights to change to I could set off.  Recently though one of the guys at work I know was at lights and while he was just about to set off with the lights changing an idiot in a cage went straight into the back of his bike.  Luckily he was only injured a little, but his bike was totalled ... and it's really knocked his confidence.

Since then I heard about someone who was killed at the lights because some cretin drove into the back of them at the lights.

Keep an eye on your mirror and be ready for anyone who "didn't see you".  

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Taxis

Tired, after a near 350 mile trip with the misses oop back, I took off at the green having nosed our way to the front of the queue, just a few weeks back.

The misses shouted a warning before I'd seen the bastard, a taxi van coming through on an exceedingly late red, taking a right at better than 40 mph.   Hit the brakes hard, and the taxi van sliced just in front of us.  SOAB.  But it was a salutary reminder - always treat traffic lights as if it were an open junction, and never trust drivers coming the other way until you see the whites of their eyes.  And don't trust them then either.

Reply to this Topic
Greyinoz

Sep 09

Greyinoz says:

Best to treat green lights in Thailand if there no trafic going through ahead and one can't see the intersection clearly as a four way stop, but do mind the Hilux coming up behind at 100 mph.

Reply to this Topic
smartroad

Aug 07

smartroad says:

There is a traffic lighted roundabout on my way to work that feeds traffic from the M3. As I come on from the local traffic it is amazing to watch the number of people who have jumped the red light. The nubmer of near misses that I have seen as cars sometime have to swerve around others is macarbly fascinating.

I have taken to delaying my start to ensure that there is no car comming through, but even with that precaution I have almost been sideswiped more then once. One occasion the cager had the cheek to have a go at me! Yes because me going on green is obviously the wrong thing to do LOL.

Reply to this Topic
mcned

Jun 10

mcned says:

CBR & AFKAN are right

Spot on AFKAN. As for the shoulder check - do it, there will always be a cyclist trying to keep momentum up by going through the traffic at the same pace regardless of whether it is stationary, moving or about to move. Love the way they swing in front of you too...numpties indeed.

As for 3/4 revs.....try that on a supermoto or trailie and you will very quickly know what it feels like to flip a bike and have a bus up your jaxie at the same time...

Also, if you learnt something in the advice above by MCN, then you shouldn't really be riding in a small hamlet let alone a city like London.

Reply to this Topic
Meaty79

Nov 09

Meaty79 says:

Smartroad

If your talking about the roundabout in Basingstoke the best thing to do is treat every one around there like idiots because unfortunately alot of them are and if someone cuts you up in Basingstoke it's always your fault because you are in there way as far as they are concerned. Take it easy everyone and ride safe.

Reply to this Topic
nss5pjs

May 10

nss5pjs says:

Staying Alive

When I'm sitting at a light, I keep my eyes open and as a rule, don't select neutral unless there are at least four cars behind me on a busy street. I sometimes stretch my arms out to create more visibility if it appears that someone is closing in on me at an insufficient stopping distance.

I have blown through a couple of lights to save my arse when i see that I'm getting rear ended in a second or two!  Obviously very bloody dangerous, but then, so is getting ran down by a ten ton truck. 

On a good size bike, pulling away from the light, could land you in trouble by leterally rear ending someone way in front of you. I have woken up in a hurry a few times as the acceleration of my CBR1100XX takes my sleepy head by suprize as I close in fast on a slow vehicle ahead.

If you move just an inch or two at the light, it can be just enough to create enough visibility to be seen.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices