Skip to content

Discuss This 2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable'

MCN’s Chief Road Tester, Trevor Franklin has just had his first ride of Triumph’s new 2011 Speed Triple at it’s world launch at Ascari in Southern Spain, here’s what he has to say: “Triumph states its new Speed Triple was not built as a track bike but to continue the famed road riding of last year’s version – but the fact...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 October 2010 11:34)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Trpldog

Apr 10

Trpldog says:

I just think it moved way away from the Iconic simplistic tough uncluttered look  that really attracted me to the Speed in the first place. Granted, it could grow on you, but for me that the moment. No. Look on the bright side - the value of my bike just might go up.

Reply to this Topic
Trpldog

Apr 10

Trpldog says:

2012 Daytona 1050 in the making?  Very interesting. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Yes yes yes

It's sheer genius on Triumphs part. They will have already developed a bike in the 2011 Speed Triple from the ground up and can then add a new top of the range sports bike to the range by sticking on a full fairing, clip ons and and a different exhaust. When the 1200 motor gets put into the Speed Triple, there's the 1200 Daytona too. Absolute genius engineering. I applaud you Triumph. There's me thinking this is an ugly Speed Triple when it's the gene pool for the new big Daytona.

I'm a lot brighter than I look :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
occam

Oct 10

occam says:

Conspiracy theories

@kl595: Hm... interesting theory, although the pillion footpegs part of the frame, in that convoluted mesh of pipes, would argue against that. My own theory as two why Triumph is doing this is following. The new styling is designed to attract young impressionable people who equate japanese with futuristic and are upgrading from a Suzuki Gladius. This in turn temporarily alienates customers with taste who will hold on to their old Speedies or who will rush to buy a 2010 model before they run out in the stampede to the dealers, depending on the case. This consummates the myth of the 2005-2010 Speed Triple and raises its cult status to unprecedented levels. After a couple of years, Triumph releases a revival of the classic Speedie but with modern technology and every person in the world buys one. Triumph becomes the biggest motorcycle manufacturer on the planet. Now that's genius!

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

That's too complicated occam. I prefer my theory :)

Reply to this Topic
1050cc

May 09

1050cc says:

Absolutely hideous! That last red Speed Triple (the red one with the white stripe down the middle) looked class, almost like one of the "Italian Job" Minis. Pure cool. Without doubt, the 2005 Triple, the 675 Daytona and the 2005 Sprint ST looked great at the time, but this is just horrible IMO. Those side panels? No doubt it will get glowing reviews in the press but I bet it doesn't sell as well as the 1050 original Speed Triple. Owners of the 2005-2010 Triple must love their bikes more than ever now!

Reply to this Topic
Trpldog

Apr 10

Trpldog says:

Hey, I went from owning two Buells to my current 07 Speed Triple - Feelin fine!

Reply to this Topic
mintee

Oct 10

mintee says:

Marmite

That's what I think. you either love it, or you hate it. One thing's for sure. Triumph are getting a lot of free publicity because everyone will be talking about it. Personally, I think it looks great. I don't think its better or worse than its predessor, just different.

Reply to this Topic
rod955i

Oct 10

rod955i says:

Second hand prices to rise?

It wont do the second hand market any damage will it? Whats really sad is we should be on here celebrating the latest and greatest release of a truly brilliant bike........

Reply to this Topic
rod955i

Oct 10

rod955i says:

Theres a story in here somewhere...

MCN pride themselves on being Motorcycle Journalists, so once all the hoo hah upset and hype has died down, can we have a piece on how and why it was decided to go with a design which has been rejected as flawed by the majority?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices