Skip to content

Discuss This 2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable'

MCN’s Chief Road Tester, Trevor Franklin has just had his first ride of Triumph’s new 2011 Speed Triple at it’s world launch at Ascari in Southern Spain, here’s what he has to say: “Triumph states its new Speed Triple was not built as a track bike but to continue the famed road riding of last year’s version – but the fact...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 October 2010 11:34)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

Hey MCN!

How about setting up a poll on this site to vote on the new styling?  There's certainly a lot of interest on these posts and I think it would be interesting to see percentages of like/dislikes.  Especially for Triumph!

Or is MCN and the rest of the biking press going to tow the line, ignore the public and print how great it is because it "hangs onto its power further up the rev range" ??

Reply to this Topic
MarchHare09

Aug 09

MarchHare09 says:

I buy a bike because.....

.....of the headlights?

Seriously guys, are we all so style concious that the only thing we're concerned about is the bloody headlights? Oh, and the plastic side panels too, well that's OK then.

Personally I'd like to think that there is more to this bike than a couple of styling changes.

Still, if you are more interested in chrome and retro maybe you should be looking at a Harley?

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

I also find it strange that folk are slagging off the design because of the headlights and some cowling. Wouldn't take a lot of skill or money to replace them if they bothered me that much. Certainly wouldn't stop me buying a bike I otherwise liked the look of. I actually think the new bike looks better, but it'd take a testride to let me know if I'd buy one or not.

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

MarchHare09

You seriously telling me you would spend 8.5k on a bike you dont like the look of?  The Speed Triple isnt about going as fast as possible at the the expense of comfort or looks.

In 2005 when the original 1050 launched did it divide as much opinion as the latest model?  I was too much into plastic crotch rockets at the time to take much notice!

Reply to this Topic
occam

Oct 10

occam says:

Here we go again

@MarchHare09 & Co. Yet more people insist on missing the point... The headlights are simply the most obvious part of it, because they're so iconic and are now so strongly associated with the brand. Triumph itself realizes this, of course, as they've since put them on the Street Triple, the Rocket III and now the Thunderbird. And what made the Speed Triple really special was that it had chrome and retro looks (without being a revival of another motorbike, mind you) AND had top of class modern performance. No other bike on the market had this concept. Now, this upgrade may or may not return it to the top the class in terms of performance, but its unique character is certainly gone. It's been compared to everything from a Suzuki to a Benelli to a BMW. You certainly could not mistake the old Speed Triple (or the brand that produced it) for anything else.

Reply to this Topic
rod955i

Oct 10

rod955i says:

lets see some options

MCN, you are good with the computer graphic wizard software, always showing us what this or that bke may may look like  - how about creating some alternatives to the Dame Edna wonderbra lights and letting us have a look?

Reply to this Topic
andemcfc

Feb 03

andemcfc says:

1200 Daytona

kl595....I think your on to something there!!! watch this space..lol!

Reply to this Topic
MarchHare09

Aug 09

MarchHare09 says:

Is retro still the future?

I agree that Triumph scored a win with the original retro style and it matched in well with the core brand image. However they have now reached a point where they have to move beyond this. Triumph is now competing with the major Japanese and European manufacturers in volume in continental markets and it is no longer sufficient to just play to the niche retro market.

Of course the bike still has to appeal visually as well as technically and I do agree that the change is a bit challenging but BMW had to go through the same process a few years ago (with both cars and bikes) and many of the "old guard" were scathing in their views of the direction taken. However can you really see BMW going back to its old model structures now?

Reply to this Topic
rod955i

Oct 10

rod955i says:

reply to MarchHare09

Retro or Ridulous - I know which I will chose and would bet so will most of their customers - its all very well coming out with a Marketing Mantra but at the end of the day if you dont like the look of the bike you are not going to buy it. The biike could have been updated to tick all the boxes you point out.

Look at what the Ducati 999 did for them - almost sunk them, when they finaly woke up and realised the customers didnt want it what did they do - got a designer with some fire in his belly who put a picture up of the 996 up in his office and produced a brilliant bike which has saved the company.

Reply to this Topic
Z1000MAN

Oct 10

Z1000MAN says:

speed triple ?...!!!!!!

z1000 is much better bike in every aspect, I reckon, Triumph thinks we're stupid, I moved over z1000 from a "2009" speed triple and I very much doubt that I'll ever be interested in buying another Triumph ever again, it was crap. Gears were clanky and stiff. ride and build quality wasn't as good. couple of bolts and nuts got loosen on the brandnew bike for no reason, rubber radiator coolent hose came lose, while riding it, got overheated. I was very disappointed, I had to get rid of it. Lost £1500.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices