Skip to content

Discuss This 2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

2011 Triumph Speed Triple first ride: 'beautifully tractable'

MCN’s Chief Road Tester, Trevor Franklin has just had his first ride of Triumph’s new 2011 Speed Triple at it’s world launch at Ascari in Southern Spain, here’s what he has to say: “Triumph states its new Speed Triple was not built as a track bike but to continue the famed road riding of last year’s version – but the fact...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (13 October 2010 11:34)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Biker4751

Aug 02

Biker4751 says:

Very funny

All right, so someone found a warehouse full of headlights from the discontinued Trophy.  Ha, ha.  Great joke.  Now lets get back to work shall we?  BTW, Triumph will be offering an option for round headlights won't they?

Reply to this Topic
davemolly

May 05

davemolly says:

Looks awsome

I must be odd, but I love the new lights (when the fly screen is fitted) and even the side panels. I admit that it really needs the fly screen. Without it the lights look somehow wrong, like they're too far apart maybe? but with the screen it just looks cool. It's a real shame that the fly screen isn't standard.

Replacement for the RSV...maybe :)

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

improved or not improved

So longer wheelbase than the old model but sharper steering geometry. Engine tilted forward for better weight distribution. Wider rear wheel, bigger rear brake, thinner brake discs, slightly more bhp and slightly more torque albeit at 7500rpm. Lighter (allegedly) than the old model. Redesigned frame, re-shaped silencers, swinging arm incorporates upper chain guide, seat is a bit lower, bars a bit nearer, new key ignition thing. Both forks now have preload compression and rebound damping with revised internals and a rear shock with better damping too

On the face of it, it seems Triumph have had a real go at updating the Speedy. Can't complain there but that's where my enthusiasm ends as somewhere along the line you can't help but think the bloke in bodywork design had been out on the juice the night before doing his bit.

Ah well, that's progress. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

@Biker4751

Don't count on it. If they did it would be admitting the new lights were a mistake. I think they should just change the lights for anything better looking then what they came up with til now. I think a double round dial would have been cool too, but they kept pretty much the old dials that werent bad but lacked personality, maybe its just me but I like dials with a bit of a vintage look to it.

Reply to this Topic
repper

Oct 10

repper says:

Lost a sale here

Really wanted one, but it's gone all wonder bra. How to cosmetically trash a bike in one easy lesson. Come on Triumph!

Reply to this Topic
rod955i

Oct 10

rod955i says:

Fazer?

Is it me or does it look a bit like a the fazer thousand cc - see now theres the thing you couldnt mistake the old speedy for anything else....... 

Reply to this Topic
geoffb61

Sep 08

geoffb61 says:

Hmmm!

Looks like the headstock is projectile vomiting a light unit!

Reply to this Topic
Trpldog

Apr 10

Trpldog says:

Triumph - are you serious?? Listen VERY carefully...

I've been a very happy and proud 07 Speed Triple rider - BUT when I'm ready to change up - I wouln't want to be seen riding that mostrosity. Sorry guys. You could have upgraded the frame / suspension, introduced some new colors and engine upgrades and kept MANY riders coming back for years to come. I have always raved about the Triple and been your best advertising for the brand -  but not any more with that Demented Power-Ranger look.  Did you mix Sushi with your Mums crumpet recipe ON PURPOSE?? 

Horsepower don't fix ugly.

Trpldog

Reply to this Topic
davemolly

May 05

davemolly says:

really?

Apart from the shape of the lights, does it really look that different from the current model? er....no.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Light Bulb Moment

If you took away the bikini fairing, bellypan and side panels, there's alot of scope to put a full fairing on that bike and call it a 1050 Daytona. Eureka! I've rumbled Triumphs cunning plan. It's really a 2012 1050 Daytona in the making. Those lights are designed to fit into a full fairing. Genius Triumph.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices