Skip to content

Discuss This 20% of motorists tweet behind the wheel General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 20% of motorists tweet behind the wheel

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dan Aspel  says:

20% of motorists tweet behind the wheel

One in five drivers text, tweet and check Facebook while driving, an RAC survey has claimed. A further 39 per cent of drivers admitted being distracted by calls, texts and social media website alerts while at the wheel. The trend is apparently on the rise, with the number of phone-using motorists tripling in the past year. Most worryingly 47% believe that texting on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 October 2010 14:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bob the builder

Feb 03

Ban phones while driving,if caught, £1000 fine and banned for a year.

I see these morons every day while out on the bike, they must be stopped, before more bikers die

The £30 and three points are no deterrent at all.

47% believe they can still drive safely!!!!!!

I tried texting on a country road once to see if I was in complete control of the car, not so.too bloody dangerous for everybody and myself.

It`s about time these morons woke up to their responsibilites when in control of a deadly weapon.

Reply to this Topic
gabbro

May 09

gabbro says:

Maybe the insurance companies ought to make it an explicit clause in their policies, use your mobile phone whilst driving and you'll only be covered for 3rd party and road traffic act. Write your car off, you'll have to pay to replace it.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

tweeting

Sorry, mis read it - thought it said twatting behind the wheel!  Which is what these sphincters are; what the poularity of i phones etc, make the penalties harsher and why can't these camera vans catch them? I though they took pictures of speeding drivers, so surely they could look out for these arsewipes at the same time? Now, that's gotta be worth a try.

Reply to this Topic
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

hm

and i pull over to change the tunes.... (while constantly fearing being rear ended by the person above who doesn't notice a bright red LED taillight with flashing indicator causing me to flick between mirror and mp3 player)

then theres applying makeup... rolling a cigerette, all of which people justify by the fact the statistical probability of having an accident during reduced levels of conentration didn't happen to them the first time they did it - so it's safe.... grrrrr

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Bullshit

Firstly there aren't that many people on twitter or face-book for that matter. 39 per cent of Driver no chance. Then ask how many of those have phones capable of tweeting and then lastly how many tweeter can actually drive!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Yeah the figures sound a bit high but...

There are also the others, yes them and you know there out there! Like the dutch nursemaid that got me while i trickled past her car at walking pace and she carried out a right turn thru me and my GS.

I wouldn't mind but the bike is huge and red and I was inline with the drivers window, the only thing I can think of is that she was looking at the kid in the back of the car at the time she carried out the manoeuver...or shes a bike hating dutch dyke or should that be dike?

One thing I am changing my mind on is noisy pipes as I used to really dislike them, now I'm not so sure.

Reply to this Topic
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

small tip

statistics are always based on a select group of people - yes there are that many people on facebook.... way more than 39% of the selected statistical group for this study - which is 1,150 people if you bothered to read the article

also - the 39% is a combined total of text calls and other alerts - with smartphones that means email/facebook/whatever the hell they use, so your assumption that it was just about facebook is also incorrect, but you'd know this if you bothered to read the article

and lastly - this is about drivers who filled out a survey and were willing to admit that the media in question affects their driving....they admitted it themselves....so it seems like they would know what their phone is capable of...and it doesn't matter because of the above issue with your statement

PS: this means you are the one spewing "bullsh*t" and "how many tweeter can actually drive" is incorrect, it would be "tweeters" i think

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Reply to Bebobob

Perhaps you should read the article. "One in five drivers text, tweet and check Facebook while driving, an RAC survey has claimed.".... "A further 39 per cent of drivers admitted being distracted by calls, texts and social media website alerts while at the wheel."......"Most worryingly 47% believe that texting on the road does not divert their attention from driving".......... I call this bullshit because it is bullshit, I don't know about you but I do know rather a lot about lies, damn lies and statistics. I call this bullshit because in my opinion the only way you could get these replies "47% believe that texting on the road does not divert their attention" is by ensure that your sample contains only people that text whilst driving. The headline says 20% tweet while driver is clearly wrong as 20% of drivers are not on twitter in fact twitter is a minority pass time hyped by the few.

Reply to this Topic
chmer20

Oct 09

chmer20 says:

source

The full article from the source is more in depth and specific to the figures.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8060577/One-in-five-motorists-uses-Twitter-and-Facebook-while-driving.html

tried finding an article on RAC but got fed up with site crashing

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Misleading

From the telegraph article "Some 21 per cent of drivers admitted they are likely to check a social media alert while driving, according to research by the RAC." - that's 21% of people with Social Networking accounts not of drivers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices