Skip to content

Discuss This New Honda VFR adventure bike breaks cover New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Honda VFR adventure bike breaks cover

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

New Honda VFR adventure bike breaks cover

This is an official sketch of a new Honda VFR adventure style bike that will be seen in full production form in just two weeks – but it’s not a 1200cc as many think it is. The sketch has been released by Honda two weeks ahead of the Milan motorcycle show in an effort to publicise the show and let people...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (14 October 2010 14:35)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

I get the impression the model that will be shown at Milan will be a V4 version of the CBF1000. Not a bad bike - the new one is good fun, but as a V4 fiend, this new machine could be a corker.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Sense

Tomlloydy says "Why? How hard is it to wax a chain every week. Your just lazy!" Well, yes, I guess it is a bit, but I simply dont think its reasonable to have a bike sold into a market like this (an older, professional market) that expects the owner to get down on their hands and knees and spray useless flingy chain lube every other day. Do you think car owners would put up with such nonsense? I've recently changed over to a Guzzi, largely because of the shaft drive and big fuel tank. Every single time you wash the bike and give the rear wheel is simple wipe is brilliant - not hacking through a disgusting, black layer of sticky as hell chain lube and road dirt welded in place. Tom, shaft drive rules. Every bike that is not an out and out race rep should have it.

Reply to this Topic
mcned

Jun 10

mcned says:

Shaft vs Chain

Shaft please, this is 2010 after all....

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Chain Drive

Chain drive is archaic and is long overdue at being consigned to the history books. I don't see why some sort of hydraulic drive set-up can't be devised for rear wheel drive, a bit like what Ohlins used for their front wheel drive system.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Shaft drive..

..is lossy, and heavy and archaic.   It's doubly lossy when it involves two 90° gear sets, but even one hypoid gear (if the eingine layout is suitable) still has a big impact on efficiency.   It also requires quite complex linkages to counter unintended anti squat characteristics, meaning a good one is heavier still.  All this is acceptable when convenience, cleanliness and lack of maintenance outweigh it's other drawbacks.

Hydralic drive is lossier still and a dead duck for primary traction.

A lubed chain is by far the most efficient drive transfer system ever invented.  Yes, it is way too much of a pain to manually lube a chain often enough to keep it alive for commuting etc, but a ScottOiler only needs checking every few thousand miles and at tyre changes.  I use a chain daily all year round.  Present chain is showing no signs of wear at over 19k miles.  Thank you ScottOiler!

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Not very - Final Drive

I'd just like to respond to bbstrikesagain and lighning boy.

When one is touring on a chain drive bike - 500 miles a day - like I have done, first job every morning is carefully check your chain, make sure it is well lubed, stretching evenly, not generally slack. Once you get going all your luggage gets spattered with oil which gets everywhere, even if the chain isn't over-lubed. That's not how I want to spend my holiday. Bikes are for riding!

Later, I got a tourer with a shaft. All of a sudden, our holidays got longer.  :-)

BTW: I did meet a German with a Kawasaki - you could hear his chain throughout the valley, squeaking for mercy!

Given what I have said previously, my scottoiler works well but the touring kit was not trivial to fit owing to having to adapt the rear light.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Shaft drive,

Shafts are great for touring/sportstouring style bikes as the outright power and low weight required of a sports bike isn't part of the attraction of these bikes, yes for sports bikes shaft drive is a no no, adding the extra 10-15kg for a decent shaft set up is a huge chuck of weight to a GSXR, and the loss of power equally noticeable when all you gain is not having to oil a chain its a waste. but for touring & adventure bikes , which are significantly heavier anyway, shaft drive is great, putting large amounts of power through a chain when the bike is as heavy as a pan for example will wreck even the strongest chain. so the loss of power is negligable as you can put a more powerful engine in to compensate, on a large motorcycle the trade off works. its horses for courses, and with the improvements in shaft design over recent years and the increasing power of motorcycle engines its becoming more and more practical to have a shaft drive on most machines.

Reply to this Topic
ruta40ar

Sep 10

ruta40ar says:

another heavy duty

Uf, another bike with 260kg like "superteneree" or GS1200?

Why not a new Africa, young, healthy, and light...this to go far in "ripio" roads ...

( 21 not 19 front wheel)

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Shaft Drive

Is shaft drive really so cumbersome? BMW's HP2 sports bike has a kerb weight of 199kgs. I've ridden the R1200S (predecessor to the HP2) and thought it was a cracking bike to ride and certainly didn't notice any drawbacks to speak of with the shaft drive. i enjoyed riding that R1200S just as much as my RR4 Blade and Hayabusa.

As far as lubing a chain, Wurth Dry Chain Lube is the way to go, the anodising on the teeth of the rear sprocket on my Blade is still there even after 2000 miles of use, and, there's none of the gunk and mess you get with other types of chain lube ending up on the rear wheel.

Reply to this Topic
mcned

Jun 10

mcned says:

Moving on...

Looks like some bikes are better suited to chain and others to shafts then....ditto their riders....anyway, I think it's good that the likes of Honda are broadening their appeal to more riders. It is good for biking and ergo good for us all.

How about non-crotch rocket version of the Blade...not detuned but with a Fazer riding prosition....same weight and power....now that I'd buy....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices