Skip to content

Ask an Expert best bike for inner city riding for a novice Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > best bike for inner city riding for a novice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joffanin

Oct 10

joffanin says:

best bike for inner city riding for a novice

hey!
 I am looking for a bike for the city. Glasgow to be precise. it is all in a grid system if that makes any difference? anyway has to be as small as a large mountain bike as i would be taking it into my flats landing because i would never leave it outside or pay 2k a year for parking. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

cheers

:also Glasgow has some very steep inclines as well

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 October 2010 01:33)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

how high

is your flats landing?

I'm assuming that as you say you're a novice, you'll be on a CBT?

How much you planning to spend?

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Not sure...

Sorry but I'm not sure you are a allowed to bring a motorcycle into a block of flats. It could be considered as a fire hazard particularly when parked near an access way. Also if you are parking it in an area that is common access for other people they are likely to complain about the restriction of their access.  (Motorbikes are significantly larger (particularly wider) than push-bikes).
In addition motorcycles are not house trained and tend to drip oily water everywhere - not good for carpets etc.. If you don't feel like leaving it on the road I would recommend hiring a Council garage or trying to share one with others...
There are electric bicycles and electric mopeds and electric motorcycles that would be more suitable but whilst an electric bicycle probably wouldn't be too big it would be very slow and would struggle with steep hills - They are limited to 200watts (1/4 BHP) and 12 mph. There aren't many electric motorbikes about but the two that come to mind are very large (e.g. the Vectrix or Zero are the same size as a petrol powered scooter or bike and need charging from your electric so they are still unlikely to fit on your landing (and are still likely to drip oil)).

Reply to this Topic
joffanin

Oct 10

joffanin says:

warehouse

my flat is a in a building that was a warehouse renovation so the lift is massive and i have my own private landing which is not like a corridor but more of a courtyard. i know that it probs is not legal taking a motorcycle into the building but i doubt anyone will say a thing. i am willing to spend about 2000 max as that is about half as much as it would cost for the 4 years travelling i will be doing and yes i just have a CBT.
thanks for your inputs

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Inner city

Take a look at the Yamaha YBR 125, great little bike, and is more than capable of doing what you require. Good luck ! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

moped

If you want something bicycle sized, then how about a VELOSOLEX

http://www.velosolex.co.uk/review.htm

eatcs01

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

City Machines

What about a 50cc Scooter . This will keep your feet dry and you can carry things under the seat . The Sym Symply 50 can be derestricted to do 45mph when you pass the test . I have just bought a folding Battery powered bike and it will do 30 miles plus on mixed roads before needing a recharge . It weighs 20kg and is mostly alloy . Go to the Batribike site and look at the Quartz , it`s a nice bit of kit . I have 3 machines and a car to use , but lately have taken the Quartz out of choice !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices