Skip to content

Riding & events MCN's guide to urban riding: Defensive riding Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > MCN's guide to urban riding: Defensive riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN's guide to urban riding: Defensive riding

Many bikers assume that their riding skills are the most important factor in road safety. However, other road users are the most serious threat to your safety as a motorcyclist, especially in a city. The sudden movements of other vehicles can present a much greater hazard to you than to the drivers themselves. In this situation, developing a defensive riding style...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 October 2010 11:09)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

All good stuff, but

if this is a guide to Urban Riding, why (point 7) do we need to know the stopping distance for 70 mph?

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

MudDoctor

The Westway flyover? 70mph and bang in the middle of things.

Reply to this Topic
KingWasp

Jan 10

KingWasp says:

Distance...

Only a fool breaks the two second rule :)

Reply to this Topic
dm1992

Oct 10

dm1992 says:

96m..

Not that ive ever had a tape measure in hand after an emergency stop. I'm pretty sure its alott less then 96m at 70

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

8 IS IMPORTANT

I noticed a bike following a bus through town less than 5m behind it in the centre of the road. Putting aside what would happen if the bus stopped suddenly there is no way other motorists are going to see that bike! Space is your friend.

Reply to this Topic
JTceltic

Jul 09

JTceltic says:

Point 5. A bare open road means... crosswinds?? Surely, it means head down and open the throttle!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Number 2

being judgmental: types of car people drive, and the potential risk they present: Nissan Micras tend to be driven by little old ladies, who a) may be as blind as a bat, b) quite possibly won't react as quickly as you if anything happens (and indeed, they may not see the risks until late on).

Corsa's / Saxo's (esp with dustbin exhausts, or have mobile discos installed) - usually driven by clueless little kids: loud music / car full of mates mean that they are highly unlikely to be paying attention to their driving. May well attempt to race you from traffic lights. Frequently un-insured.

Subaru Imprezas / Mitsubishi Evo's / older BMW 3-series - driven by slightly older but none-the-wiser kids, and almost certainly will attempt to race you - wet roads and wet roundabouts being favourites.

Number 1: alertness - think of the time of day: 8am - 9am / 5pm - 6pm may be the peak times of day, but think a bit more: 2pm - 3pm / 10pm - 11pm should be taken into account: shift work frequently changes on 6am/2pm/10pm cycles (give or take an hour) - are the drivers around you as alert after a day at work? Similarly, early evening / night / early morning (esp weekends): If someone is driving erratically, have they maybe had a drink?

HGV's: these have significant blind spots, and they don't stop easily - keep out of their way. Bear in mind also the point of alertness above - he could have had several hours on the road already (thus possibly tired) when you've only just gone out on the road.

Reply to this Topic
hillfish

May 10

hillfish says:

9. be visible!

make you're as visible as possible through good road positioning - keep checking you can be seen by vehicles near you, those approaching and any that might be temporarily obscured e.g  dominate your lane and keep out towards the centre line when approaching junctions so you are seen sooner, make sure there's space around you and don't let people push you about in congested traffic. hi viz, headlight on and a few revs to wake up the dozy ones when filtering!! 

Reply to this Topic
MarkMax

Aug 02

MarkMax says:

Mopeds - Limited to 30 mph? Tuff for the other drivers. You've paid your tax,tMOT & insurance so your entitled to be on the road the same as the next person so don't stay near the gutter it just encourages drivers to overtake you in stupid places. When aproaching a juction and you have the right of way don't watch the car watch their front wheel hud. You'll spot it moveing alot faster than if you try to watch the whole car.

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

Distance

I was travelling up Sheffield Parkway (70mph dual carriageway) the other day after work around 3.20pm and I caught up with a moped / scooter displaying an L plate, following a double decker bus. I don't know if the rider thought he was cleverly using the bus as a windbreak or slipstream (I'm guessing he wasn't even intelligent enough to know what that means! He was (no exaggeration) about 10 FEET away from the back of this bus doing about 45/50 mph!!! As I passed them I looked at the rider and through his open helmet, full face visor, I reckoned he was older than 50? thinking to myself "Why???"

The silly old duffer even had a high vis vest on?!?!?

His brakes must be straight off an M1!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices