Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati revival boosts Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati revival boosts Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati revival boosts Valentino Rossi

Valentino Rossi will take great heart from Casey Stoner’s recent Ducati revival, according to the Italian’s legendary crew chief Jerry Burgess. Ducati’s factory GP10 didn’t win for the opening 12 races of the season before Aussie Stoner dominated at Motorland Aragon and Twin Ring Motegi. And the 25-year-old continued his purple patch when he stormed to a fourth successive victory on home...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 October 2010 14:55)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
justacardriver

Mar 10

Egg on face

I like that Stoner 27

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

Pressure, technical details and rider ability...

:dopeyhmmmm:I don't know what to say regards Stoners recent resurgence. I half believe its because of comments made by Rossi (and the media) that Stoner wasn't giving it 100% (sandbagging) and that now he's giving 110% to try and make Rossi look a little daft if he doesn't win in Qatar or be fastest in winter testing etc immediately. Also I wonder if Stoner was a little worried he wasn't giving his new 'bosses' at Honda much in the way of confidence as to his ability to develop a bike verywell when the Duke seemed to have gone backwards. 

We'll never know the truth. :ph43r: I'm only saying what 'could be'.

I think Rossi does have a 'healthy' amount of pressure on him but the technical abilities of his crew and Ducati will throw anything at the team to get it right from the beginning. When he's up against the doubters, much like Stoner, he's at his best. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him get it sorted but like Stoner27 correctly states. Rossi has a super smooth style and Stoner rides it raw and untamed. But will this backfire when Stoner goes to the Honda? Maybe.:hmmm:

Regards 'dominance', I don't think we'll see a dominance like we see when Stoner has it sorted. The Aussie is still an awesome rider, no denying that. 

I'll be fighting in the 'red' (and yellow) corner come November and its gloves off. Peace.:sunglasses:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mort77

Mar 09

Mort77 says:

Egg on face 2

Interesting remark Stoner27 but remember that Rossi had 2 seasons on the NSR500 - the ultimate bucking bronko - winning the championship in his 2nd year. Still for sure the pressure is on more than it was when he signed for Yamaha. It's gonna be very interesting next year. Oh and I expect Stoner to have equal opportunities alongside Pedrosa and Dovi. Why else would Honda want him or he sign for them?

Reply to this Topic
scatterbrained

Oct 09

It amuses me to no end that people assume that Stoner can't set up a bike. First, Hayden has said that Stoner uses less traction control than any of the other aliens (a lot less). I'm inclined to believe him since he has teamed with Rossi, Pedrosa and Stoner. Combine that with the fact that Stoner seems to be able to get on the pace very quickly taking just a few laps to know what needs to be done to the bike and I begin to think his abilities are underrated. The guy can go out for two laps then bring it right back in and give valuable feedback to the team. That to me is efficient.  As far as his lack of speed this season, it was brought to light a few rounds ago when he suddenly "found his pace" and starting running at the front., that the issue they'd been fighting with was his inability to put the kind of weight on his wrist that he normally does  after his surgery so he couldn't weight the front like he preffers to do. Once the team found a setup that accommadated for that issue he was right back at the front.  I think Rossi will have his hands full next year for sure. It will (hopefully) be the best season since the move to 800s, but don't we think that every year just to be dissapointed?

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

If Stoner is such a master at bike setup

how come he didn't manage to win a race for the best part of a year until his mechanics, not Casey, but his mechanics thought it might be a good idea to try to shift his weight forward a little. The first thing Rossi did when he went to Yamaha was to get Jerrry Burgess to alter the ride height and weight distribution, and it didn't work out too badly for those guys as I remember. First race, first win.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Its an interesting conclusion that if Soner is winning it bodes well for Rossi. Stoner's style is so individual I'm not sure.

Reply to this Topic
kgb333

Apr 09

kgb333 says:

It may only be an ink splot!

It seems that if you are Rossi then things are written about you in such a way that it implies to everybody that you run the show with your brilliance. If you are not Rossi then the way things are written implies that it is down to the bike, then then great mechanics, your great team manager and finally how lucky you got on the day to actually win. I am a great Rossi fan but there is no way I can be convinced he said do this or do that to the bike. I am sure it was - the bike does this when I want it to do that, and his engineers went off and came back with a solution. He is a brilliant rider. (notice the full stop there)

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

because, supermario

that's what mechanics are for. Rossi could tell anyone to alter the ride height and weight distribution, why spend all that money on Jerry Burgess and be so insistent on him coming to ducati.

Besides, can Rossi do this?

www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/252520/images/stoner-sepang-slide.jpg

i think you'll find the answer is ... nooooo

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

don't be absurd

Have you ever seen Rossi on the NSR 500? Or the 990 RCV Honda? 

I take nothing away from Jerry Burgess, his abilities are undeniable. But! the engineer can only follow the direction and input given by the rider. Wrong direction and misguided input = a poor handling bike and mechanics going round and round in circles with the setup for months until one stumbles on something that works (sound familiar?). Whereas a rider that gives accurate input and direction has the engineer set his bike up and be competitive more or less immediately, Like the 2004 M1 when Rossi and Burgess had limited testing thanks to Honda's sour grapes. Rossi immediately identified the bikes handling faults and Burgess put them right, and with that they went out and won the first race. This is the unique talent of Rossi, he understands why a bike does what it does, and thats why he can get the best from it in such a short period of time, and do things others can't on the track. His record speaks for itself

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

Yes I have and

All just back wheel look-at-me showboating. Either that or getting on the throttle too early, but of course no chance of that anymore with all the electronics.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices