Skip to content

Discuss This 2011 Speed Triple: Your questions answered New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 2011 Speed Triple: Your questions answered

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

2011 Speed Triple: Your questions answered

Simon Warburton, 45, is Product Manager for Triumph Motorcycles. Every new model idea, prototype testing report and final specification for all Triumph machines lands on his desk. For these reasons he is perfectly placed to answer MCN readers’ questions about the new Speed Triple. Q: Why did you change the iconic headlights so drastically?Joe Dillingham SW: Because we needed to move on....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (22 October 2010 10:24)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
iMarcus

Apr 08

iMarcus says:

Sorry - the headlights were THE (visual) feature of the Speed Triple..... what have they done?

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

ive always had jap bikes, but i want one of these as soon as i can afford one

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Quality!

Yep, agree with all the comments re; Triumph Quality. I did over 50,000 miles on my last one and it didn't  even blow a bulb.

compare that to my previous Hondas and other associated Jap rubbish - they are unreliable heaps of junk. I bought a new XJR1300 a couple of years ago and it never ran properly, the dealer couldn't care less. I've now swapped it for another new Sprint ST1050 and a very old high mileage ST955i which we bought off a mate who'd had a climbing accident and hadn't used it for ages - over 2 years dumped in a damp shed without being started... one pair of jump leads and it started fine, and flew through an MOT. it's better than the XJR in every respect and I love it - I'll stick to Trumps from now on.

I really don't like the lights of the new SpeedTrip that much either but I'd still buy a new one if I could afford one!

Reply to this Topic
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

I have to put in a pair of comments:

Firstly, anyone who questions the reliability of Triumphs has no idea. I have had my Street for almost two and a half years. I have done nearly 60,000 kms (I live in Spain - for this, I say kms) all year round, sun, rain, snow, hot, cold, WHATEVER. I have had no issues with the bike. Many times, riding past people stopped at the side of the road with faults. I am a member of a community of Triumph riders over here: Each with a similar story. What is more, I ride around the city for work, filtering through the traffic, during the week. The weekends are for stroming around my 'secret' mountain routes and I have done a couple of circuits. The Street does it all.

Secondly, The revised Speed WILL be my next bike. The changes are good, perhaps not great. I had hoped for a new engine, with enough horsepower to compete with the Streetfighter and Brutale. But, at the end of the day, what we must remember is that this is not a supersport-like bike. It's context is not the same as the class-leading Street. This is a sporty bike - but not for leading the pack in circuits. Hence, Triumph has worked on the torque and not the peak power.

I am very excited about the upcoming test rides....

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

I agree whole heartedly. Triumph reliability is extraordinary. My last Daytona 955i made it to 80.000km without so much as a hiccup. My current Daytona has clicked over 33.000km, including a 10.000km trip across Italy, France and Northern Spain in 15 days last year. I encountered everything from 35°+ temperatures to torrential rain and 15° in Northern Spain. The bike didn’t miss a beat.

I personally like the new speed and think they are going in the right direction. There are some cosmetic issues that the majority of people have made comments about that I also share but that shouldn’t detract from the quality and personality of this bike. The Italian bike journo’s that write for the three most important bike mags over here are giving it a big thumbs up. This bike stands out from the crowd and always has and carry’s the Triumph and British brand not only in the boot but also across the world. It is amazing how many old Italians come up and have a chat about Triumph when I am out . This was also the case in Oz, the amount of punters that would talk to me about Triumph and made in Britain - Brits should be proud of Triumph.

For mine there is a gap or something missing in their bike range. I do quite a bit of touring and many people raise an eyebrow that my bike of choice is a Daytona 955i, but after having a Sprint ST955 which don’t get me wrong is a great bike, it certainly didn’t have the personality, handling or grunt of a Daytona – an aggressive sports tourer for mine when I compare it to the Jap and Italian sports bike equivalents. Before I decided to buy my latest Daytona, I toyed with the idea of a ST1050 and took a few for a test ride, nice bike but for me lacked some personality or grunt. For mine the concept of the Speed has captured this and done it for some time. It would be great if Triumph developed a more sporty/aggressive version of it's ST in a simuilar vain to the Speed or maybe even a detuned Daytona 1050, that could be ridden two up from time to time…

Reply to this Topic
rod955i

Oct 10

rod955i says:

Missed Oppourtunity

The design of the speedy is good all are agreed it is an improvement on the old model - its the bodywork that is causing the controversy. As such it is a simple thing to fix, give us a new tank, remove the un-necessary side panels and do something about the lights, then we could have a bike which we could all applaud. After all I cant think that the design brief was to create a model with a controversial appearance and effectively swap one set of customers for another. Surely providing a bike which most people like the look of would be better than one which polarises opinion.

Reply to this Topic
Wasenshi

Oct 10

Wasenshi says:

Headlights

I think I'll be in need to find the aftermarket headlights for 2011 Speedy, which will look like the old ones or I'll buy a Streeyfighter... Can you imagine MINI or PORSCHE with the square headlights? I did not...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices