Skip to content

Discuss This 2011 BMW G650GS: the return of the F650GS New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 2011 BMW G650GS: the return of the F650GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Newbigging  says:

2011 BMW G650GS: the return of the F650GS

BMW is adding the G650GS to its range for 2011 – an entry level single-cylinder adventure bike filling the hole left by the old F650GS. The new G650GS is powered by the BMW-built liquid-cooled 650 single rather than the old F-series Rotax engine. Technically the G650GS’ chassis is very similar to the original F650GS – a simple steel double cradle frame and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (29 October 2010 09:49)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
theMaskedAvenger

Jun 10

Missed oppotunity

Add an option for spoked 21/17" wheels and shave 10Kg of the weight and they could have really been onto something.

Reply to this Topic
CaptainHook

Oct 10

CaptainHook says:

@ MaskedAvenger

But then it would have eaten into the F800GS sales which they are trying to sell as the lightweight adventure touring bike.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Why call it a 650?

I still don't get why they call it thw F650GS  when the motor is a 798 cc.

Reply to this Topic
kennon

May 10

kennon says:

speedo007

have you seen BMW cars missleading the capacity to what the badge at the rear says a BMW 116i you would think its a 1.6 engine but its actually a detuned version of the 120i still a 2.0 litre engine its jsut what BMW does to make up for the fact they dont actually ahve those cars or bikes in the cpaacity the comsumer is lead to believe it is it saves having to develop so many different engine blocks keeping the costs down for this luxury brand

Reply to this Topic
ChrisNewbigging

Jun 06

Called a 650... because it is

speedo007, You're getting mixed up with the new F650GS, which is an 800 twin - this new G650GS is a 650 single-cylinder. So no misleading capacities (here, at least!) Chris Newbigging, Senior Reporter

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Tank too small

14 litre tank. So the small adventure bike is expected to go to the coast and back via two petrol stations.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

@ChrisNewbigging

No wonder I'm mixed up...F means 800cc, G means 650cc. Wow, nice system BMW. :)

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

650 single!

Don't think Triumph will be losing any sleep with this one. The 800 version is probably inferior  to the new Tiger so I don't think BMW have thought this one out. You are going to have to be a die-hard BMW fan to buy this! And a 14 litre tank when  the Tiger has 19 and weighs less allegedly! If the Tiger has a 33bhp mod for the inexperienced, its a no-brainer!!

Reply to this Topic
1050cc

May 09

1050cc says:

You just know that in the BMW boardroom, someone dared to mention that calling a bike a GS650 or whatever (when it had an 800cc engine) was a really stupid idea. No doubt Triumph had a a similar meeting when they called their 955cc Daytona a "T595"... (it must be 595cc right?)

Model numbers have always indicated capacity. When they don't they are stupid!

Can you imagine the new 2011, 1000cc Fireblade called the "Fireblade 850"?

BMW have learned the error of their ways!

The Tiger 800 will rule the Adventure Bike roost in 2011!

Reply to this Topic
AlexL

Feb 09

AlexL says:

tank size

Surely its not the tank size alone but economy that matters? The F800 has superb mpg, I'd expect this single to be even better. Any relevant figures Chris?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices