Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph Tiger 800XC - 'the best all-round adventure bike in the world' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Triumph Tiger 800XC - 'the best all-round adventure bike in the world'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Triumph Tiger 800XC - 'the best all-round adventure bike in the world'

Like most, I watched Ewan and Thingey’s ‘Long Way Round’. And like many I’ve harboured fantasies of traversing the globe on an adventure bike, picking up enough tales of diseases and delicacies along the way to blow the kids inheritance but generate a lifetime of pub talk.   But unlike the vast majority I’ve been lucky enough to actually ride, at...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (16 November 2010 12:21)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
adavid

Nov 10

adavid says:

Ha

You brits are like fascists when it comes to british transport. Do you realize that your vehicles are crap? Everyone thinks so. They are as reliable as.....well, they're just shite. Had a sprint ST and it was garbage.  Loved every other bike I had, Ktm's, Beemers, Kawasakis, Hondas.

So they copied a good bike. If I was to travel across continents (I did) and I had to pick this or for another grand a gs800....No brainer. BMW any day.

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

tomlloydy

I was really making any statement of fact (hence lots of "probably"s in my post), just trying to emphasise that the Triumph may well be the best allrounder, without actually being best at anything at all. For years the VFR750 was considered as the "best all-rounder", whatever that means, but wasn't really best at anything that springs to mind. Hopefully the new Triumphs will be just as good. But we'll all have to wait a while before anyone, including MCN can pronounce it best allrounder -and even then there will be those who disagree. But what I've seen so far it looks a good un. Shame they've released a new bike just when many aren't in the mood to spend lots of money.

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

Phil West....

Phil thats a bold statement...... "In short, right now, I think the Brit triple is the best all-round adventure bike in the world". You went on to say..."Give me a few months of freedom and a date in Vladivostok or Timbuctoo and this is the bike I’d want". That suggests that you havnt actually had a few months with the bike, to test its limits in various settings ? That makes your bold comment even bolder. Theres alot of folk on here believe that mcn 'big up' triumph and iv always wanted to hold the opinion that they are neutral, for the simple reason that when i read bike reviews i want to be of the understanding that there is no bias leaning one way or the other - providing an honest real review. However, this report really does raise an eyebrow, i mean could we class this bike as 'established' yet, to even compare it to other bikes that have and are 'doing the business' ? Very disappointing and my opinion of mcn holding hands with triumph has changed.

Reply to this Topic
cbrpilot

Sep 03

cbrpilot says:

XC

Not a bad looking bike, but I'd reserve judgement until after I've rode one and lived with it for a bit. Still got a '91 CBR600 F2 that's going strong, to me that's proved itself at nearly 20 years old and never had the engine torn down.

adavid, I wouldn't shout about Beemers too much either, thay have had thier fair share of problems and failures too, and as it sounds like your from the US, I don't see much of interest or reliability coming form your shores either.

About time that big 4 realised there's a huge market for these types of bikes, and stop standing on the side lines making bikes that 'look' adventure but don't really deliver. I'd love another Africa Twin to be made, with a bit less weight and a hike in power. That would sell well, so why are they ignoring it? Who the hell want's a VFR800 in an ugly frock with road tyres?

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

na

If I had to pick I'd pick the beemer. It has proved it can do it on "long way round". I don't like these adventure bikes anyway. I find the novelty wares off, I get bored with them for everyday use.

Reply to this Topic
MrRogerMellie

Nov 10

Subjectivity

From the adventure riding community, its amazing how a journalist with no adventure riding background can proclaim it the best adventure bike in the world. I would be far more interested to see if the bikers who do have a track record of long distance rides across Asia, Africa, South America etc get excited about the bike. If they are lining up to try it, or are raving about it we could take it more seriously. But I am not seeing that. Even looking at all the comments on here raving about it ... they seem to all be from street bike or sports bike owners. This bike will undoubtedly sell well. But it wont be to "adventure bikers". It will be to street bike owners looking for a bit of an adventure bike look, but still easy enough to cruise to work all day. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that at all. Thats what the bike is designed to do. To look the part without actually being the part. But that hardly makes it the best adventure bike in the world.

Reply to this Topic
BanditSpectre

Aug 10

Who designed this??

I'm all for variety and adventure bikes have really shown that hey are for real, have purpose and here to stay.

I also like the fact that over the last few years Triumph seem to be producing some real class leading contender bikes, ie speed triple, sprint st, bonneville.

So why not the tiger it's always been good!! However is it just me or does it look amazingly like a beemer??

Come on Triumph stay original!!!

Reply to this Topic
adavid

Nov 10

adavid says:

Finally, good to see some British criticism on that very bold statement. I take back my comment.

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

Could Be

I see some comments about the similarity to the Beemer and other adventure bikes - generally negative. However I think one needs to look at what the bike is designed to do. Okay I accept that it does look a lot like the GS800 - but then any bike that is supposed to be genuinely good off road and decent on road is going to look like that. Check out all of the superbikes - pretty hard to tell them apart. Have a look at the MX bikes - bugger all difference in them. Fact is a bike that is supposed to be a proper adventure bike is going to end up looking something like this. The real test is if it can cut it with the KTM's and to a lesser extent off road, the BM's. As for the comment about the all round ability of the GS - well my experience of off road (properly not in a faux adventure group) in Africa was not great. Four Beemers and four bikes with failures. The KTM was fine as was the Honda Africa Twin. I don't think Triumph have to try too hard to be more reliable than BMW to be honest. Overall if this is as good in its class as the Tiger 1050 then it should be fantastic.

Reply to this Topic
sam_h

Jul 08

sam_h says:

the gs800 is a ace bike off and on road so it will be interesting to see how the triumph matches up. Too early to call it the best all-round adventure bike, since bmw have such a good rep and have gone round the world.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices