Skip to content

Discuss This Kawasaki ZX-10R first ride update - 'a formidable weapon' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Kawasaki ZX-10R first ride update - 'a formidable weapon'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Trevor Franklin  says:

Kawasaki ZX-10R first ride update - 'a formidable weapon'

MCN’s Chief Road Tester Trevor Franklin is Qatar at the world launch of Kawasaki’s new ZX-10R. He’s just completed a day’s riding and sent this report. Find a Kawasaki ZX-10R for sale “Evening has descended upon the Losil circuit, and with it the temperature has dropped to a more relaxing 28 degrees.     “The new Kawasaki ZX-10R has shown that it is a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 November 2010 16:24)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mike27

Aug 02

mike27 says:

times is changin...?

Wow - what a surprising series of posts...has common sense broken out in the biking community?

I sold my RSV in Feb for many of the reasons outlined - ultimately, what is the point of owning something which cannot be used in anything like the way it is capable when you use it? 

On the road, these things make no sense at anything close to the legal limit - you are better off on a SV650 (do they still make them?) and on a track, unless you are Stoner or Pedrosa, you are always going to know that it could go faster, much faster....

The real joke is that they're getting faster each year - my old RSV had 120 bhp and it was too fast.  200 horsepower!!!

Reply to this Topic
Cubikrube

Mar 07

Cubikrube says:

Keeping buying them and not riding them

Excellent few posts on here. Thing is i don't buy new, what's the point? I do however have a soft spot for low milage "missiles" at a decent price. There are ton's of lovely bikes out there that are a couple of years old that have hardly been ridden. It's great for people like me because we can buy them and as long as we don't wreck them we'll get pretty much the same money for them after whacking 10-15k on the clock.

Keep it up people, it makes me happy :)

Reply to this Topic
robeasley

Jul 06

robeasley says:

Times are changing

As the pure sports bike evolves it appears that it is becoming less and less relevant to "real world" motorcycling.  At the same time the average age of the motorcyclist continues to rise as, depressingly maybe, there are very few new riders joining the rest of us lucky people.  Also, the way the road network in this country is going the only way we'll' be able to get around in a few more years will be on a pure off road bike. 

For me, it all adds up to the beginning of the end for the pure sports bike, new ZX10R  ??, I too can feel a big yawn coming on.  

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

Who here actually rides a litre sportsbike?

I ride a BMW S1000RR. I commute on a Kwak Versys, ride a Vespa and just got rid of a zx6r. Out of all my bikes the BMW is the MOST versatile - it can be a bit hot in town during summer, granted - but I can tour on it, trash round the track on it and bimble to the shops. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, gives the same shot of adrenaline as opening the taps on a litre bike.

Not all riders of litre bikes wobble round corners and blast down straights - that's just patronising to say so. The same thing could be said for 600 riders, or adventure riders, or every rider!!

Litre bikes on the road are fantastic. I can't believe the amount of hand-wringing that's going on about it here. Shall we stop all technological development now? How much is too much? It's not the engines in any case - it's electronics where the difference between manufacturers will be seen.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I'm not trying to start

an argument, but, I used to have an RGV 250 M back in 92. I thought I could ride the shit out of it. Then I went and got a race licence and joined up with Bemsee and New Era. I very soon realised that I hadn't even scratched the surface of the bikes ability, not so much in terms of the engine performance, but in terms of the handling.

The last bike I raced was a Farnham tuned CBR 600 FT which had an Ohlins rear shock, maxton-ised forks and an Akra full system, with about 110 bhp at the wheel. After campaigning that for a few years I stuck some lights on it and put it back on the road. I was immediately dissapointed by how little of the performance I could use. I was so used to riding on track where I could wring its neck in every gear before slamming on the anchors and throwing it into a bend at the sort of speeds that would make most people turn pale. Riding it on the road again was really frustrating....an exercise in risk managment

I don't have a litre bike (actually its an 1100! but not a quick one) but I can only imagine how futile it must be having 180 odd horses at your disposal when I think back to my old CBR

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stavros012008

Oct 08

eh

damn it takes years for kawasaki to make THE BIKE of the moment in my opinion ...prefare the aprillia to the bm any day ....200 odd horses .carnt use on the rd blah blah ..so do we own big audis and bmw m power mmm carnt use them but shed loads on the rds ..its the presence on owning the moments dog bolloxs to be the man etc ...its a fking superbike firstly kawasaki WANT to win the superbike title so how do you all assume theyd go about that then ...everytime kwaker bring a rocket out  eg zzr1100..zx12..zx1400.and so on they get accused of being naughty and brining brussels down on us lol....no one made negative comments about the cbr or r1 or triumph 675 all on which can kill in the wrong hands as i recall they all do more than 70 mph ...doh !!!!

Reply to this Topic
Cubikrube

Mar 07

Cubikrube says:

Currently riding a K5 GSX-R 750

and i think it's perfect for commuting. I have a lot of fun on it but i'm now doing 80 miles day or 400 miles per week or 1,600 a month. That's my main problem, if i continue to use it like this it will end up having ridiculous mileage on it. I've always ridden all year round but tbh, the last few weeks with appalling weather have made me rethink whether or not i should get my car licence (i almost gag at the thought of driving as opposed to riding).

Most litre bikes (race/sports) are not at all set up for the road. I think the GSX-R 1000 and the new Beemer are the most adaptable in the class but most are not fit for our roads. I totally agree that the way our roads are going we are going to be better off with a big ol GS or something along those lines.

The new ZX1000S seems a much more sensible option to this in all honesty. The problem with the technology arms race that's going on is that race bikes are exactly that, 10 years ago you could get one that would take luggage and a pillion but with race series becoming so techno it has meant that the manufacturers have stripped away all the sensible side of things and left us with only just enough room to sit our arses.....unless you are 6" 3 like me and then you don't even get that.......

Reply to this Topic
robeasley

Jul 06

robeasley says:

Horses for courses

Horses for courses........supermario sums it up brilliantly  !!

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Cost v Power

I notice a few others have hinted at it and I remember one of the Racers on the IoM TT making a similar point. It seems that the ZX10R is an awesome beast but how much of that power can is needed on a typical British road. It seems that the better balance and weight of a 600 would make them more fun, easier to ride for novices like me and probably faster for most people. So do you buy an affordable 600 or go for a 1000? I guess others have already made this point it's a bit like comparing the Veyron and a Caterham. I'm a ER6F riders so what do I know. But £12k!!!!

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

I can't help but think how pathetic the readership of this site has become.  It used to be about bikers,  now it seems populated about poor people that ride spazzy 2 cylinder 650s.   Get a life,  or subscribe to "My Caravan"

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices