Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner: Winning harder for Rossi at Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner: Winning harder for Rossi at Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner: Winning harder for Rossi at Ducati

Casey Stoner reckons competition in MotoGP is now so fierce that Valentino Rossi won’t be a consistent winner at Ducati. When Rossi quit Honda to join Yamaha at the end of 2003, the Italian was instantly able to consistently fight for victories and won the title at his first attempt on a YZR-M1 machine in 2004. But Stoner, who has made his...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (23 November 2010 14:29)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nowthen

Nov 10

nowthen says:

rossi

don,t forget rossi developed the m1 to a race winning machine then jorge came along and used it to his advantage , lets see what he does when he has to continue developing it himself

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

An extremely good point nowthen

Don't reckon we'll see Lorenzo breaking any records when he has to develop his own machine

Reply to this Topic
sadsack

Nov 10

sadsack says:

lorenzo development

i think the only thing he will break is either an ankle or his spirit:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Apology accepted, thanks ...

I was merely making the point that the " casually mentioned " put-down of Stoner and his record continues unabated. I think less one-eyed and hopelessly biased readers would appreciate that the FACTS tell a different story that stands in stark contrast to the same old Stoner slights. If these matters go unchallenged, they appear to pass into factual history with many of the people on MCN who just don't  " get it ". We were not talking about Rossi. We were not making a comparison with anyone else. We were addressing and contesting the claim that,  " Stoner didn't exactly cover himself with glory in 2006 " - and we did that. We were not talking about Championships won. We were talking about Races won in the 4 seasons of 800cc to date to illustrate a point. Trouble is, it is just impossible to talk about, focus on, defend Stoner at all without lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back and witnessing the whoosh as " Stoner-threatened " Rossi fans take it the wrong way, out of context etc etc etc.

Anyway, I trust you washed your jeans thoroughly way back in 2000 !!! Mate, there isn't anything you can tell me about GP or WSBK racing as I was either there or around it right through from the mid-late 1960's. So, please don't presume to lecture me. Yep, I agree, Rossi ( whom I have never put-down - apart from the odd character/behaviour defect ) took 9 races in 2000 to get his first win on the NSR 500 and he had Doohan mentoring him along with Jerry Burgess. Rossi has had the best of the best gear and support over his entire career and in all classes, Good on him. But, don't you think you can find it in your heart to at least respect a kid that had to battle for every scrap for years and years and really did it the VERY hard way? That Stoner has reached the apex of the sport and has achieved a World Championship and an enviable record is reward for many lean and frustrating years of struggle. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

The Aussie whinger

What an Aussie whinger! Who the cuss does Stoner think he is that he can state the level of competition had never been higher? Doohan, Rainey, Shwantz, Mamola era come to mind? Ago, Reed, Sheene, Haslam. What an idiot. Shows what happens when ambitious parents pull kids out of school at the 6th grade. He can barely spell his own name. Ditto Lorenzo. But not Pedrosa….what a bunny.

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

cthwaites ...

Now you are just being very silly & childish. Your bike avatar betrays your mind-set and says it all. The bunny became a Hare and his spelling has got sweet FA to do with it. Multi-Millionaire, success, fame, gorgeously grouse Mrs et  al. How are you travelling these days? Mind you, I think it is quite wonderful that you have the freedom and mobility to ride your motorcycle after your lobotomy. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

two way street

I think I've been entirely fair towards Stoner on this thread. I think you need to go back and re-read my original post. You might then realise that you've been just slightly over sensitive and unnecessarily defensive in this matter. And this is a perfect illustration of the problem with Stoner fans. I said Stoner didn't cover himself in glory. Thats it. He did afterall crash 14 times that year. I don't know how you'd describe that, but personally I think his season could have gone a little better. But because of that harmless comment, you have to start stirring up shit.

If you read on you will see that I also suggest that Stoner is the best hope for Honda in the future. Which I think is the credit that you seem to crave for the kid.

But lets look at the facts now. Stoner won a championship on a bike he didn't develop, and since then his results have steadily gone downhill, finishing this year in 4th behind a guy who took time off with a broken leg. I think any reasonable and intelligent person realises this raises questions over the guys ability. The biggest being, was it Casey, or was it down to the bike? These questions will be answered in time. I don't doubt that the guy is a great racer and rider. But I reserve the right to hold a little scepticism over his all round ability to both develop a bike and consistently win races without chucking it at the scenery. 

That is my opinion, and as such cannot by definition be wrong. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you feel the need to comment, do so in a manner in which you yourself would like to be spoken to. And don't be so arrogant as to pressume that you know peoples minds and opinions better that they do. Be big enough to allow people their opinions without throwing your toys out of the pram

I have to say I'm surprised and a little dissapointed that I have to point these simple courtesy's out to someone of your age.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Ben52

Sep 09

Ben52 says:

Stoner.

The blokes won one championship and he gobs off like he,s the next Doohan, fuck off little boy!!

Reply to this Topic
nickyb65

Jan 10

nickyb65 says:

Give Stoner some credit

All the MotoGP riders are no doubt the best riders in the world, all of them. Wining a race, let alone a MotoGP championship takes talent, not just a great bike, but also great riding talent. I respect all of them. With of course a bit of bias towards Ducati! Roll n 2011!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

So sayeth

the biggest toy thrower on the forum.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN