Skip to content

Discuss This What do you make of the Ducati Diavel? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > What do you make of the Ducati Diavel?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

What do you make of the Ducati Diavel?

Ducati has opened an online comment forum for the new and opinion-dividing Diavel musclebike which Ducati hopes can take near superbike performance and handling to the cruiser market. The forum is open to anyone who has something to say about the new bike – good or bad. Full information about the bike confirms 162bhp, 207kg kerbweight for the more expensive Diavel Carbon...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 November 2010 13:23)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
veggiebikerdude

Mar 06

vile

This is one of the most ugly wheelie-bin inspired bikes I've seen for years. There's no way short of putting a gun to my head that I'd consider parting with any money for this, never mind the £10k+ pricetag that it will come with. A brave move? No, just silly. This will go the way of the Suzuki B-King and the Yamaha MT-01. Weird, overpriced, way-off-the-mark.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

I disagree,

Veggiebikerdude, I think that it will sell well. While I, equally, wouldn't be seen dead on one, it will appeal to the non-touring custom bike market, those who want the baddest critter on the streets, but not necessarily on the interstate.

If Ducati can tap into the custom/cruiser  bike market with a decent list of accessories, in much the same way that Harley Davidson do, then I think they''ll succeed. This is not a Harley clone, and neither is is an overweight V-Max clone. This will find it's own niche, I would imagine among those who don't want the Harley look-alike image, but something more esoteric.

Ducati are attempting to break the mould, and should be applauded for at least trying. For me, the headlight treatment is awful, and what primarily lets the bike down, but that's just my opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there will be plenty of buyers out there who will think otherwise.

I suspect that it will sell for its back tyre alone!

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I'm sure Ducati arent relying on selling this bike to finance their future R&D. I think it should sell in the numbers they are expecting (which is probably not tens of thousands of units). If people find 20-30000$ to put on a harley, I don't see why those same customers couldnt justify the price of the Diavel considering what you get compared to a Harley. That is a good handling bike, powerful, and modern (total opposite of Harleys).

That said, I would never buy one, but if I was filthy rich and could have a collection of 15-20 bikes, it could be one of them.

As for the B-King, it is a great bike and wouldnt have taken much to make it a good seller. For me it lacked space for my knees, and I didnt like the stock exhaust. Had they just made it a bit slimmer, more spacious for the legs, and nicer exhausts, Im sure they would have sold 20 times more.  I thought the Yamaha MT-01 looked really nice, but it was ridiculously priced and unpractical for what it was.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

dd

spot on MudDocter :-)

Reply to this Topic
Lewdavies

Mar 08

Lewdavies says:

Big Bad Bruiser !!

I kind of like it, apart from the headlight cowl thing. Its different for sure and I bet it pulls your arms out of socket lol.

Unfortunately I dont have a spare £16k to spend on a new toy at the moment.  £16K!!! ouchy.

Reply to this Topic
2ellett

Jan 04

2ellett says:

Bleugghhh

Personally I think its the most jeffing ugly thing I have ever seen.

Reply to this Topic
chmer20

Oct 09

chmer20 says:

maybe will do well

I personally am reserving judgement on the appearence until i see one up close as i thought the new VFR was the ugliest thing ever till i saw one up close and thought it looked pretty good. Mentioned the Diavel to my father who is 63, with bad knees, hips and shoulders (dumb bitch hit him when he was stopped for red light and sent the 56 year old flying), and stepping down from VTX1800, as is too heavy, and he is very interested. He was thinking new Bonnie, hypermotard (fit him well), or Sportster 1200 (not XR), but this is the new front runner pending a test ride. Just thought I'd give an example of potential market (older riders who want light with performance). If he gets one, I will def sneek in and borrow it:)

Reply to this Topic
nickyb65

Jan 10

nickyb65 says:

Not pretty, but....

I'm a big ducati fan, but find it hard to like this creation. The front does it for me, I think the headlight design could have been better, like the current Monster, or maybe a dual headlight setup like the Evo or even the new Street T.

Saying that, like already commented below, it will probably appeal to non-Ducati (i.e. non sportbike/Hypermotard riders), like HD riders, Victory Riders and maybe even Goldwing riders looking to try something different. From there perspective it would be a tempting option for some italian flair.

So, from Ducatp spa., point of view I can well understand this model. Most of the rants and negative feedback (including me) is mainly from past, current or maybe future Ducati fans. For Ducati though, that is not the point...its about attracting new business.

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

Quite, quite awful...

Reply to this Topic
nakedbri

Mar 10

nakedbri says:

A strengthening niche

I have noticed that the Super Naked muscle bikes are more than becoming a large niche. The cruisers also appeal, but alienate mainly due to their sedate power delivery. Ducati I think have melded the two beautifully. I am a huge fan of the K1300R. I love its marmite looks. Ugly, but strangely dignified and carries a real presence. For me Ducati have simply done what the Italians do best, and added some real style and flair to a brute of a bike. If it rides half as good as they are making out, it is going to do very well. People don't quite get the Yamaha V-max, but I think Ducati have nailed the concept. Super Nakeds may lose a few buyers to this as well, although the cost will probably limit that.

Personally, I love it. Lets have more bikes like this. There are too many 'pretty' bikes around.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices