Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies closing in on new Yamaha contract MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies closing in on new Yamaha contract

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies closing in on new Yamaha contract

Ben Spies is closing in on an extension to his current factory Yamaha MotoGP contract. Talks about extending the Texan’s current deal have been in progress for a number of weeks with Spies and Yamaha intent of thrashing out new terms ahead of the 2011 MotoGP campaign. Yamaha is keen to extend the 2009 World Superbike champion’s deal to bring him in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (29 November 2010 17:07)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

you guys are thinking now

Texas and robdawg,  Spies did brillant last year but to call him the fifth Alien before he's proven that is wrong and puts huge pressure on him for results

Dovi's got seven podiums last season 4x 3rds and 3x 2nds yet people are dismissing him as not as talented or good enough, His debut season mirrors Spies bar 2 points at the end of the season. Dovi earned his fifth last year and may well have done better if not for honda trying to force him out to acommodate Stoner.

Dont let the press build Spies up only to let him fall if results go the wat that Dovi's have because its a very likely out come.

In answer to your WSB question Robdawg, Spies got alittle lucky when Haga fell apart and blew a 86 point lead, can see that happening too often but it did. And as for the wildcard ride result, How many great results have we seen over the years when a rider has nothing to lose and goes hell for leather in one race against others who have championship positions to conserve? quite afew. 

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

robdawg

Now youve made me look c loser, at the stats, Dovi, had 9 top 5 finishes in his debut season and one podium very similar to Spies . Look at his results over the last three years and tell me why he's not getting the same hype?

I would dearly love them both to kick on next year and break into that elite top four, but its a big step. Its not going to happen over night

Reply to this Topic
texas_rp

Nov 04

texas_rp says:

2 podiums

Spies had 2 podiums - 2nd and 3rd.  He also finished 2 points higher than Dovi having had 2 DNF and 1 DNS compared to Dovi's 1 DNF.  So really, Spies accumulated more points in 15 races than Dovi did in 17. 

Really, we could go on like this forever.  But is it worth it? For some reason Spies is getting more attention.  Perhaps because he aced the AMA and then the WSB in his first year and arrived in MotoGp with a lot of expectation that Dovi did not hace coming from 125 (champ) and 250 (not a champ).  Just a thought.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

likey no likey

If you look at anything closely things dont add up in sports, People love a certain rider and will forgive them anything but dont like another so wont acknowledge their brillance when it shines through ( Rossi and Lorenzo).

One rider is being championed and already label the fifth Alien which puts him into that bracket of eliteness that only multiple race wins should allow. As he is current flavour of the month, if anyone (me) questions this line of thinking and dares to say the stats dont add up its ridiculed.

His performance and results so far nearly mirror a younger rider who has made the step up to a factory ride, has won a GP in his first season on a factory bike. and then seven podium finished this year.  The guy has 22 top five finishes out of 37 races in the last two seasons with 7 dnfs

Now with a record like that how come he's not getting groomed the way Spies is? blow some smoke up Dovi's Arse honda and he might just kick on that final step instead of trying to buy the title by hiring the very fast but erratic stoner. Faith in a rider breeds confidence and better results.

Theres two potential aliens in the current field not just the one the press are hyping in all the time.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

wait, what?

"How many great results have we seen over the years when a rider has nothing to lose and goes hell for leather in one race against others who have championship positions to conserve? quite a few."

Not in MotoGP. If there has been quite a few than name some who has place as high as Spies in a wildcard in the last 10 years. Name me the riders that have done it on a wildcard in MotoGP that were never full time riders. Bayliss won in a wildcard but he was in MotoGP for at least 3 full years before hand. So who?

And you clearly brush aside and completely ignore the fact that in 2009 in WSBK if Spies bike didn't have levers falling off because of poor wrenching and running out of gas along with Fab wiping him out there would not have been a huge point lead in the first place. And it's funny how you attribute the lead evaporating as a result of Haga "blowing the lead" and not Spies going out and winning races. As I said before the negatives that you can pull out of 2009 are clearly overshadowed by the results.

And Dovi isn't getting much love because to be quite frank he got his ass handed to him last year. No way should he got beat by Colin on a satellite bike. More was expected, it wasn't delivered, so people are a bit reserve in their expectations of him. That's not to say he won't do well but no one is yelling at the top of their lungs expecting it.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

and so rawdawg.......

Who's to say Spies wont feel the pressure for results in a full factory seat?  Dovi's race results where pretty good in 2009 but he threw it up the road in 4 gps trying too hard and as a result got pipped by Edwards by one point.  dovi has done well in most of the races he's finished so Edwards did not hand him his arse as you so nicely put it.

WSB granted Spies was brillant but threw it away pushing too hard a number of times. Haga with all his experience should have been able to bring the title home with an 86 point lead but blew it big time. It was his to lose not Spies to win.

Ive nothing against Spies rawdawg but i object to this he's one of the aliens already talk because he's not. He may well do the same as dovi in his first year on a factory bike which would be actually winning a GP. He's being groomed because he's very talented  but to pull on the alien tag before its earned is bullshit and marketing p.r nothing more.

The wildcard thing has alter alot in recents times due to the electrics and nature of what their riding now  with the control tyres etc causing sponsorship clashed which have stopped the better riders just jumping on for one off rides anymore so i might be lightly off the mark with that one and my old age starting to shw by thinking the Abes etc wasnt that long ago.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

by the way

Isnt it nice that dispite the fact there's divided opinions in this thread and challenges being laid down of  the post's no one has slipped to the name calling personal slagging off, of each other? probably invited the insults now!!!! hahahaha

Reply to this Topic
jmt256

Jul 10

jmt256 says:

I hate

The offseason.....

So, to summarize:

Ben is a fast rider who has so far had an impressive career as a racer. There was a lot of hype surrounding him after his 2009 WSBK season ( it was impressive to watch). Ben had a very successful rookie season in motoGP (the only satellite bike to podium, the only satellite bike to take poll position and the only satellite bike to finish at least one race in front of Lorenzo, Rossi and Stoner. No other satellite rider ever finished a race ahead of any of them) It is for these reasons that many people are very excited about Ben Spies. Can Ben crack the elite 4 and perhaps win a championship? Many people think so. Can he be labeled the "5th alien" today? Of course not. Why don't more people talk about Dovi in the same terms "future alien, possible future champ etc.... Probably because he has had two seasons on the factory bike and has shown he probably isn't up to it. If 2012 rolls around and Ben still hasn't finished higher than 5th in the championship he likely won't be as popular as he is today. Now that he is on a factory machine at the highest level of competition in the world we will all find out soon enough if he has got what it takes.

How many more months till Qatar?

Reply to this Topic
jmt256

Jul 10

jmt256 says:

Also

Also Ben Spies is the best rider ever and will win the championship next year for sure!

GO BEN!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

So you were than wrong than cleanerboy

We haven't seen "quite a few" wildcard results like Spies in MotoGP. I would say you proved that since the only name you came up with was Abe who wildcard about 16 years ago in 1994. And Abe best wildcard result that year was 6th - same as Spies on the Suzuki in 2008. Difference being Abe was All Japan 500cc champion - he was already racing GP bikes unlike Spies who was unfamiliar with GP bikes.

You confuse me in your last post with the "wildcard thing has alter alot in recents times due to the electrics and nature of what their riding now with the control tyres etc causing sponsorship clashed." Isn't that what Spies did? Riders aren't contracted to tire companies - teams and series are. Spies, Roger Hayden, De Angelis, Chaz and anyone else who has wildcard the last couple of year were not riding on Bridgestones before they wildcarded. And electronics - all superbikes are running them and most are using the same systems as the GP teams though not as sophisticated. I've said before that electronics have been a main reason Spies has been able to adapt to GP bikes. His Yosh AMA bikes always had some sort of traction control and electronics hence he never really had the sideways superbike style like Nicky (even though Spies did race other bikes without TC before his AMA superbike days).

Who's to say Ben won't crack under the pressure? I'm saying it. Watching this guy the last couple of years I can say he's the most unflappable rider I've seen. He's made me into a believer. I would have bet all I own that he wouldn't have beat Mladin in the same team for 3 consecutive years. If anyone says that they believe that he would do that then they are a liar - no one thought that. You have to understand that if anyone had an iron clad fist on a series it was Mladin. The last guy who had beat Mladin was Nicky who went on to win the GP title and Nicky wouldn't have beat him if Mladin was on the 1000cc bike instead of the 750cc bike going up against a WSBK spec 1000cc V-twin. Unless you followed the AMA it's hard to describe what kind of competitor Mladin was. The only way to describe it is like Vlad the Impaler or Attila the Hun on a bike - completely and utterly ruthless. And he was even worst as a teammate. Mladin's "fuck my team mate and fuck the world" attitude makes Rossi "I hate Jorge, my way or the highway" antics akin to a little girl in a sand box. And Spies eventually beat him. And the heat was raised and the iron fist clamped more - and Spies won again. And again. In the same team. On the same bike. Spies never showed any weakness. He never faded, never succumb to the pressure. And there was pressure. Mladin was getting paid about 6 million a year and Spies 4million with both with arguably the best superbikes in the world trying to win the title. There were no surprises or tricks - just a brutal knife fight in a phone booth each round.

I thought I knew how good Spies was but never image that he would win 11 poles and 14 races his first year in WSBK. I knew he would win a few races (if it was only the Miller round) but he made a believer out of me again than. Even when Spies was down he never cracked. He just has a demeanor to never get too high or never get too low - even keeled. At times he comes off with the personality of a dead fish but it works for him to keep everything in perspective.

Will he feel the pressure? Yes. But will he be affected and crack? From what I've seen over his career I would say no.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle