Skip to content

Riding & events Riding skills: Beware black ice Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Riding skills: Beware black ice

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dan Aspel  says:

Riding skills: Beware black ice

This video, shot in the Vancouver area, shows the dangers of black ice on an apparently clear road.  As the road was slightly elevated above sea level, rain water that fell in previously warm conditions began to freeze as the sun started to set. The bike began to lowside as grip was lost on the black ice, then as soon...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (02 December 2010 13:39)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jakeysaurus

Dec 10

jakeysaurus says:

just an observation

i dunno, this kinda lookd like the rear wheel lost grip on the painted line and started sliding, then when the slide started the usual happens whereby the throttle is closed and high side results when rear regains grip on black (grippier) stuff. all in all, im a fair weather rider and videos like this are why i continue to be a fair weather rider! luckily the rider was ok which is whats important

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Play safe

When the temperature drops to freezing point then cover the bike up, put the battery on trickle charge and use the car or take the bus / train.

Road salt can cause hundreds of pounds damage to your bike and if you hit black ice at speed it can be fatal.

Reply to this Topic
yaxireaper

Feb 06

yaxireaper says:

I dropped  my bike on ice 50yards from my house ,bust a footpeg 2 mirrors and caused a hole lot of hassle . don't bother riding if it looks iffy out there. Or get a cheap winter hack you don't mind dropping.

Reply to this Topic
sammycw50

Dec 10

sammycw50 says:

I live in Nottingham and use my scooter every day, Sun, Rain, Sleet and Snow. Ridden through a Blizzard after I found out College has closed that was scary. The Scooter I have A 50cc Yamaha Bwizz it has good chunky tires and is stably and light, Scooters Are better for winter

Reply to this Topic
QuietGuy

Oct 10

QuietGuy says:

Response to sammycw50's post

@sammycw50 - It's great that you ride in all weathers - and more power to you, I do the same. Just don't be too sure of the scooter's sure-footedness, the ice (especially black ice) will catch you off guard one day - I have come off 3 times in the past 4 weeks of this current (Dec 2010) bad weather. All have been low-speed, below 15MPH, low sides, all my fault and black ice related. And a scooter's wide tyres do not provide more grip, on the contrary actually - the thinner the tyre the better in snow and ice (look at ice-racer rally cars, they have relatively thin tyres to cut through the snow, and studs for some grip real estate on the ice). A wider tyre just floats on the surface of snow and ice, like a snow sledge, whereas a thin tyre (say a 90 section) cuts through the snow like a knife through butter to the tarmac below - where the rubber compound of the tyre is designed to work.

Reply to this Topic
schmii

Dec 10

schmii says:

That would be me.  This site is 4 hours north of Vancouver, BC, Canada with an elevation around 1,200 meters.  The road was freshly paved and painted in the same month.  The second low-speed version shows ice everywhere outside the tire tracks.

The 1/4 speed clip shows the front end occilating suggesting traction is lost and the back and is still pushing.  The front end reaches the car-tire track and gains traction crooked.  The back end snaps the front end straight initiating the highside.  I assume my riding input minimal as the first clip shows the time between vertical to sliding less than a typical reaction time. 

I would have been crushed if the crash bars didn't take most of the initial impact.   All I remember is being fine, slamming down hard on my side and watching the bike slide away between the car and ditch.

The textile gear and leather gloves have been replaced with motoport kevlar and I have a couple additional advanced riding courses in the books for next year.  After this event I am still uncomfortable riding - time to rebuild from the ground up.

Reply to this Topic
steve211

Dec 10

steve211 says:

was going to spend the money on an MV, i would save my money for a little bit longer and get a proper one. Christian louboutin, Ed hardy,tiffany jewelry,Ghd,gucci handbags,louis vuitton handbags

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

steve211

go away spammer, this a biking site..

Reply to this Topic
petethebiker1

Jan 13

beware smooth/painted lines

does anyone else think he touches the yellow lines then slips?

(beware smooth/painted lines)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices