Skip to content

Discuss This Jorge Lorenzo expects strong challenge from Ben Spies MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Jorge Lorenzo expects strong challenge from Ben Spies

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Jorge Lorenzo expects strong challenge from Ben Spies

MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo is expecting new factory Yamaha team-mate Ben Spies to pose a major threat in the 2011 premier class series. Spies will join the 23-year-old next year after the Texan enjoyed a fantastic rookie campaign in MotoGP last season. Riding for the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad, Spies romped to the coveted Rookie of the Year title and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (02 December 2010 16:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Popski

Feb 09

Popski says:

Stoner could well put both of their noses out of joint and I wouldn't discount Rossi and Pedrosa either.

Reply to this Topic
gasguzzler

Sep 09

gasguzzler says:

SV659NUT

At face value , id have said your statement on Ben being world champ , next year ,hugely overoptamistic .......  But ,you know , i can kinda see  it cant be ruled out as a possibility  ......  just s'pose  caseys fast but the hondas front cant handle him  and dani suffers the same inconsistancies as this year .. rossi cant get his head around (or arm) the duke and  cruchlow does'nt want to embarass the works teams in his first year ( ok im joking)..... it seems to me , unless lorenzo can move the goalposts , Ben  already knows he has the pace on the works bike .. Very hard to see him having the consistent beating of the top four but  if it turns out to be a close year with everybody sharing a couple of wins , dnfs and injurys included ,  its not beyond the realms of possibility .........  the only certain thing about next season is nothings certain  .......  bring it on ......

Reply to this Topic
mrblistershifter

Jan 10

Spies

Sounds like Lorenzo is already making his concession speach..............

The 2011 season will be hotly contested as there are at least 5 riders capable of taking it.

Reply to this Topic
gasguzzler

Sep 09

gasguzzler says:

As far as bens speed in sbk . anyone who watched him in   ama knew he was going to be fast , the nature of the tracks ( lots of high speed off camber turns) lends itself to the big european circuits and the way the kid rode against Matt (a world class rider whos attitude got in the way of a factory ride)  you just knew he was going to do well . I have to admitt i didnt expect him to do as well on new tracks /tyres and bike but he proved to be a very quick learner . something he seems to have taken with him to moto gp .... we now know he has extraordinary abillity to adapt .   in his first test he ran the hard tyres as fast as anybody over distance , imo he found the works bike gave him the 4to5 tenths he hoped it would , so under the guise of he'd tested all the parts, finished the test early ... less than 1.5 tenths off lorenzo .....well aware more was to come on the softer rubber......  keeping his obvious delight tempered and his cards close to his chest .........

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

you're a bit slow CCB

and you seem to be getting a little agitated  - so let me break it down to you so  you can easily understand.

You can argue all you want about how much Dovi has improved or is improving in his riding. I don't disagree with that. THE ONLY THING I've been saying is that after 2 years on a factory bike he hasn't improved his final position from his rookie year of 5th. He hasn't. END OF STORY. There is no argument or debate over that. So why are you trying?

"the stat back me up you dickhead and no matter how many big words and clever techinal shit you colud out with will make you right." hmmm. Let's see how "right" I am...

Rookie year on satellite bike 2008 - 5th, 2009 on factory Honda - 6th, 2010 on factory Honda 5th.

er, looks like the stats back me up as well! What stats do you have to dispute that? None! SO SHUT UP!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

what?

"Has lorenzo not take three year doing asomething pretty similar at the front of the field before he learnt home to string it all together.??"

That's an awful comparison. Jorge has won the title after 3 years. THAT'S improvement. What has Dovi done in 3? He's just equal his result from his rookie year!!!!! After his rookie year Jorge was fighting for the title - not "pottering home" to a 6th in the championship like Dovi and getting beat by an old man on a satellite bike because he got passed by a guy on a satellite bike who never rode it before the race. Matter of fact in their 2nd year Jorge placed 2nd and scored almost 100 points more than Dovi who actually scored LESS points than he did his rookie year.

"crashing whilst learning to compete at ahigher level is part of racing, its your argument the flawed my friend"

Jeez, you really are slow or don't comprehend very well. I even put the point of my argument in bold in that post so it would be easy for you to see - The only thing that matters is the end result. I was bringing to your attention that crashes actually count. You can't say "well he would have done better if not for the crashes" like everyone else doesn't have them or that they don't affect the points.

Reply to this Topic
gasguzzler

Sep 09

gasguzzler says:

Rawdog

have to say rawdog you havnt left anything to interpretation on this one ..... i think we can all assume hes got your drift......  f..kin hope so for his sake ...............!!

Reply to this Topic
Minty Fresh

Mar 08

Minty Fresh says:

Hang on a minute CCB

Do you remember typing this in another thread where the same thing was being discussed?

"Isnt it nice that dispite the fact there's divided opinions in this thread and challenges being laid down of the post's no one has slipped to the name calling personal slagging off, of each other?"

Hmmmm, seems to be that you have actually "slipped to the name calling" yourself as a result of your argument falling down.... Sad, very sad!! You seem a little desperate fella and you seem to be clinging onto this Dovi argument for some very strange reason....?? All i can say is that i hope you let it go before you have some sort of Dovi related breakdown....!

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

appologises

Yes its wrong of me to slip to the name calling level. I thought Rawdawq had  some sense to fair play and discussion but it appears not.

With the intention of end a long and now every boring argument which was intended to be a debate, can someone explain to me, how Dovis improved race results, i.e higher every year since entering the top class is not progress?? the issue over thoses stats the Rawdawq is using to try make himself look clever is  but at the end of the season he's not beaten his last year championship position!!! and? so what? the four Aliens are in front on him.?

Look at those result properly as a team manager would and the true story comes out, better and consistently higher finishes but tarnished by more DNFs.

Spies make well do the same and crash abit more next year  but pull off a few wins but onyl end up with the same amount of points at the end of the season. I my mind thats still progress because the aliens are an elite bunch and it will be difficult to place above them in the championship.

Reply to this Topic
caferace52

Mar 08

caferace52 says:

I realize

That there's not a lot left to be said about this thread, or next season for that matter, after all the sounding off coming from this story.  Everyone, even those who are less optimistic about BS chances next year are in agreement that the man has an extreme amount of talent.  What most people miss though is his drive.  Rossi and Lorenzo have just as much if not possibly more talent, and the rest of it they put into post race antics to amuse (Rossi), or lamely ape previous celebration shenanigans (Lorenzo).  Spies just goes out and rides his race with everything.  If it's a good one he smiles, and a poor one looks even more serious.  I'd wager that off the bike he's the most boring rider in the paddock.  Which was great being paired with the T-shirt cannon firing goof ball that is Edwards this year.  Next year expect him to be even more serious.  There's only one thing that man cares about, and it's being the best.  I don't know if I feel comfortable sharing SV659s opinion, but I think it can be safely assumed that Lorenzo speaks the truth here, and knows it.  Going to WSBK, everyone knew he was going to be fast, but no one expected him to be able to do what he did.  If he won the championship next season, I'd actually rate it as slightly less difficult than when he won the WSBK crown.  He knows the bike, the tyres, the tracks, and the other racers; none of which he had knowledge of in WSBK.  The level of riding is higher, yes, but I think he'll be able to be up there.  In the end run, we all get the good deal.  2011 has the potential to be the best season of GP we've seen in a long time, and I can't wait.  Predict Spies will win the crown?  I can't go that far.  But if he does, I won't be surprised.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices