Skip to content

Ask an Expert Advice for a big n' tall new rider Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Advice for a big n' tall new rider

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Alchamist

Dec 10

Alchamist says:

Advice for a big n' tall new rider

Hi guys,

I have my Mod2 test booked for next week (providing the snow lifts!), and all being well I will be looking for my first bike in the new year. Being late to the whole motorbike party, I am fairly clueless when it comes to what I am looking for in a bike.

My main problem is that I am "Big 'n tall" (aka lanky and fat!), so I am after a comfortable bike that I'm not going to look (too) stupid on.

Some information: I am 6ft2, and 19 stone. At 36 years old I'm not after huge speed, but still want some occasional fun! I will mostly be commuting, but with some weekend riding and the occasional longer trip thrown in.

I have been looking around to see what styles of bike I like, and have a few in mind:

CBR600F
Suzuki GSX750F
Honda XJ600/900 Diversion
Honda Transalp

For my DAS I have been riding a Kawasaki ER-5, and while I know that on your own bike you can change some of the setup, I find that the pegs and rear brake are in the wrong place, making it uncomfortable to ride for any length of time as I can't bend my ankle up far enough to get on the pedal easily due to my leg length.

Looking to spend around the 1k mark for my first bike, as I am sure that I will drop it ... sorry .. place it with extreme prejudice ... at some point while I learn. Also, I don't have any garage facilities, so it will be an outdoors bike.

Any suggestions welcome.

Jay

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 December 2010 09:20)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

which bike

Welcome Jay,can only think of a trail/adventure bike so that your not screwed up sat on one.Also 1grand won`t buy you a Transalp but that`s the type of bike i suggest.

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

Tiger !!!

Have  a sit on a triumph tiger , only problem ive seen with them is the weight is quite high on the bike - if that makes sense:blink:

Reply to this Topic
Alchamist

Dec 10

Alchamist says:

High Weight ...

I'm used to having all the weight up high ... I am 19 stone after all :lol:

It doesn't have to be an adventure bike - it's just that I know the transalp is a fairly tall bike. I'm just trying to get some ideas of which bikes I will actually fit on :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Divvie

I had a Divvie (600) for my first big bike and it suited me fine (im 6ft 1" and lanky), the 900 will have a bit more poke for you. It is quite top heavy though so be careful as i did 'delicately place it on the floor' after my foot slipped in the garage.

That said I got bored of it really quickly and bought a ZXR 400 which i couldnt fit on as my knees hit the fairing...good fun tho...

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

I am

6' 3'' and ride a V-Strom Either the 650 or the thou would be ideal. I can still hustle the thing round the country lanes, and took it to the Manx with me mrs and all the luggage.

Very capable bike, and quite cheap too - about £2000 for an 03/Thou

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
andyathome

Nov 10

andyathome says:

VFR 750

Check out an old VFR, they are built like tanks, have loads of grunt and are fairly roomy. Best of all you can pick up a good ‘un for well under a grand. Although they are quite powerful, about 100bhp, the power is very progressive with lots of low down torque. I passed my mod 2 this year (also on an ER-5), and bought the Honda.  Also, being a Honda it won't dissolve over the winter..

Good luck with the mod 2, by the way.

Reply to this Topic
Alchamist

Dec 10

Alchamist says:

Thanks guys

Thanks for the responses guys. Lots of helpful tips so far. Here's hoping it all goes well on Friday on the test!

It's at 8.15 in the morning so I will have the fun of rush hour traffic ... :blink:

Reply to this Topic
Lifeintheslowlane

Jun 10

tall rider

Good luck with the test. As a tall rider you'll soon find most bikes are designed (by?) for midgets. Standard advice will be to go for an 'adventure style' bike - I like 'em but not everyone's cup of darjeeling. The critical thing is not seat height from the ground, but the relationship between the seat and the pegs. You'll be surprised at what does fit  - and what does'nt. Only way to find out is to get out there and try them. At 6'5" and 35" inside leg, this advice is offered from experience!

Reply to this Topic
Alchamist

Dec 10

Alchamist says:

Now the fun begins!

Thanks again for the advise guys. I am pleased to say that I passed my Mod2 without any issues (not even a minor!), so now on to the fun stuff :biggrin:

I am leaning towards an adventure bike, however I have just seen an older Triumph Trophy that has caught my eye ...

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bike

Well done but read up on the trophy,it`s a bad report in my book.I agree with used2bfast on this one he`s not as daft as he looks.:shock: Only kidding.:lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices