Skip to content

Discuss This Are you a winter biking hero? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Are you a winter biking hero?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dan Aspel  says:

Are you a winter biking hero?

It’s -10C (or worse) out there, and motorcycling in the UK has ground to a halt. Or has it? If you’ve been commuting through blizzards on your CBR, messing around in the snow on your trailie or refusing to let the weather get you off your bike then MCN wants to hear from you. Send any pictures of your sub-zero antics...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (07 December 2010 16:52)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simonparsons88

Dec 10

hero/idiot

Whoever rides in snow regardless of experience or their bike is a genuine hero/idiot

mine has been under its cover since the snow first began last week and i have no intention of that changing!

all you need is one small bit of ice and thats it

bike gone, leathers gone... or maybe worse?

its your own choice, but seriously? is that trip worth losing so much

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I've been going out in it

to go to work, albeit on a cheap 50cc 'ped: nice and light, and nowt to worry about if I do trash it (haven't done it yet though).

On the snow itself, it's not that bad provided you take care (and where possible, stick to main roads that get treated). It's the last 2 - 3 days where its been largely sheet ice where I leave it at home.

One of the biggest problems, as usual, is brain-dead cagers carrying out their normal stupid antics; cutting me up, pulling out without looking, tailgating, overtaking at stupid moments...observation / planning becomes a million times more crucial (you don't want to have to react suddenly on a poor surface like that).

Above all else: STAY AWAY FROM THAT BLOODY FRONT BRAKE...

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Im definately not!

I could quite easily ride the bike at 2mph both feet down sliding on the ice until I get out of my estate onto the main roads but to be honest I'd rather pay for a train ticket and have a bit of a walk to work the other side and get there in one piece.

The amount of people I've seen driving cars in the ice with one hand on the cigarette lighter and the other holding a phone is just plain scary...

As soon as the ice clears in my part of the world (Essex) then il dig the bike out of its cover and be back riding to work.

Muchos respect to those bikers that do though.

Reply to this Topic
panmanPete

Aug 10

panmanPete says:

-6 so far

Many years ago on small light bikes i used to go out in snow on local journeys as I had no other transport. Clearly I went out a lot less, and took exceptional care of the front brake, other users and especially the road surface.

Now older (and wiser..?) and owner of a big heavy Pan, I still go out all year round averaging 9,000 miles a year, but not on ice.

The lowest temp I have seen on the dashboard display this year is minus 6 going to the NEC bike show. Add wind chill and its into double minus figures. I'm sure someone out there will beat that with a pic of an onboard display!!

Understandably many less bikes made it to Hall 1 this year at the NEC but some brave and careful souls used sports bikes, tourers and trailies. It's about being sensible, careful and attentive to doing everything gently.

Damn good show this year too,  well done to the organisers and exhibitors, I hope the lower attendance figures due to weather will be taken into account.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
LukeZX6

May 09

LukeZX6 says:

Respect!

When you mix the words Hero and Motorcycle you usually equal Nutter, so respect to all you nutty motorcycle heroes who either have balls of steel or their brain switched to the "off" position!

Reply to this Topic
Jnofsk

Dec 10

Jnofsk says:

Its friggin freezing out but it doesnt stop me, 3 layers of clothing plus bike gear! Its worth it, not having to take the tube!

Reply to this Topic
gavinfdavies

Aug 09

gavinfdavies says:

i'm up to 4 layers, plus the heather grips on my zxr400 sportsbike! And i'm still cold! The worst so far was monday morning. Left Huntingdon at 8am, arrived telford shorpshire at 9.45am, with ice covering my shoulders. i'd been scraping it off my visor since passing the m1! The fog was freezing out of the air onto me!

Reply to this Topic
jonnyboy23

Apr 10

jonnyboy23 says:

Took the CBR out last winter, hit black ice and disintergrated my collarbone. Take it from me guys, it aint worth it, leave the bike at home and don't be tempted................

Reply to this Topic
garlee

Nov 09

garlee says:

Used to ride in all weathers to work on my bike 250N Superdream . Hit patch of black ice on an untreated road and went straight through a wooden fence.Luckily the fence was rotten and disintegrated as i went through it as it could have been a lot worse ! Have got older and wiser now and freezing conditions are definitely a no no for riding for me now .A lot of respect for those who battle on during the winter months and good luck

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

count me in

Call me foolish but after attempting to be sensible and leave the bike garaged, the tubes had me stressed and driving took me 3 hours instead of the 30mins on the bike so as soon as the gritters had been out so did the bike, bloody freezing though!!! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle