Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati ponders seven-bike entry in 2012 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati ponders seven-bike entry in 2012

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati ponders seven-bike entry in 2012

Ducati could extend its involvement in the new look 1000cc four-stroke MotoGP world championship to seven bikes in 2012. The Bologna factory will field six bikes in 2011 having agreed to lease a GP11 for Czech Republic rider Karel Abraham back in August. But talks have already commenced with the Valencia-based Aspar Ducati squad, run by former 125GP world champion Jorge Martinez,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (08 December 2010 10:18)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

Passion

Here's a theory, suppose Ducati is planning to launch a new engine for street and SBK racing in 2014? Wouldn't it make sense to "race test" a version of that engine in MotoGP? Racing has been very, very good to and for Ducati. Ever since the dramatic Imola win with Paul Smart, Ducati has used racing as a sales and development tool. It is no surprise that they are contemplating increasing their MotoGP presence. They were able to support a lot of customers in SBK, so they have the infrastructure. Suzuki and Kawasaki, who needs them?

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

More like they have had a good look at the race shop at Noale and released it can be a profit making excercise in it's own right.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Honda and Ducati are shoring up MotoGP, without either of these manufacturers there would be no series.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

it cant be a bad thing but......

we really need the other manufacturers to enter works teams, another uncompetitive  rider to prop up the back of the grid, not really a step forward.

Moto GP shown follow formula 1 and restrict or remove all the rider aids and level the playing field. It would reduce the cost of running the teams dramatically and encourage the other manufacturers to enter. Im sure BMW ,Aprilla , kawasaki and maybe KTM could make a competitve bike if it was restricted to the basics, engine brakes chasis and suspension. no fancy electrickery allowed.

Riders skills would then rule and the costs would tumble im sure. The more knowledgable among you can point out the strengths or flaws in my thinking ( im sure stonerrule with think this is gay donkey ass goat)

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

What they need to do is give the newcomers more practice time,how the hell is a rider supposed to compete with the guys who have been in GP's for years with a max of 3 practice sessions,Crutchlow has had a wet session in Japan,2 days at Valencia,nothing till Sepang/Australia and thats it,and that applies to the other newcomers as well,Dorna isn't exactly helping it's self,jesus it's bad enough having been off a road bike for a while.

I'd watch Aprilia,their 125/250's were a miliion pounds a year to lease,the race shop at Noale was a money making buisness,that Superbike I use the words loosely is a GP bike,I'll be interested to see how they use the motor when Flammini and Dorna having finished handbagging each other over who has the rights to what.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

interesting winger...

I think the gap between the machinery in WSB and Moto GP is getting closer and closer every year. I know the GP bikes are total prototypes but its narrowing with all the things that are now standard on road bikes.

For pure racing reasons how far does it go before they return to basics? How advanced do the road bikes needs to be? After all thats what all the developments for , road riders safety and ease of riding.

With technology reaching such heights that even the very best riders cant make a difference to who wins most of the time, i think we're fast reaching the point when how far is too far.

Make WSB a superstock championship for the best superbike riders in the world and have the GP's as Prototypes but no electronics championship . Would  vastly reduce the costs and enable private teams to compete nearer the front of the field again

But most importantly we would see who really is the best of the best in rider terms!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Strokey

Sep 02

Strokey says:

No doubt removing the electronic aids would make things much more fun but I think there is a certain amount of ego hindering the process as there will come a time when superbikes with all their fancy electronics will be superior on the track than the GP machines and if the superbikes stopped the electronics than eventually Jo Schmo could turn up on his fireblade with the latest ABS and traction control and piss all over best riders in the world

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

once again, Ducati are making the 'factory' teams in Japan look a little silly, although it does highlight the difference in culture between the Italians and our friends from the East.  Ducati exists to produce road going sports bikes and also to go racing - making money historically has been something of a secondary consideration.  having said that, they have made a pretty good fist of making a successful business solely out of bikes since the '90s.  most of the Japanese bike manufacturers are part of large industrial conglomerates where bikes aren't necessarily their primary focus.

i'd like to think that MotoGP in 2012 and beyond will look more like a 'Moto1' championship, complete with full factory teams, where independent outfits can bolt customer engines into a frame and be reasonably competitive with a decent rider on board.  i think all this hyperbole about GP racing being on it's deathbed is somewhat premature.

i've posted elsewhere on here that it's WSBK that needs to think where it is going technically over the next few years.  if the electronics are allowed to develop further unchecked, they will find themselves in a similar situation to where MotoGP is at present with the 800s.  maybe Evo-style rules are required to get it back to being a purely production based racing series - the 2010 RSV4 that Max rode is a case in point.

Reply to this Topic
r1eagle

Feb 06

r1eagle says:

???

ITS STRANGE THAT SOME PEOPLE FIND WHAT DUCATI ARE DOING BORING NOW THAT SULKY LITTLE TOYS OUT THE PRAM WHINGING CRY BABY STONER HAS LEFT!!!

Reply to this Topic
phinmac

Nov 08

phinmac says:

LIARS

You know this is a lie. If they cant run a single factory WSBK Team you know they arent going to field 7 teams in motogp, if they do those bike will just be "blue flaggers" in the way and wont make a quarter of the season for financial reasons.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices