Skip to content

Discuss This New Honda CBR250R v Kawasaki Ninja 250R: is this the best they can do? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Honda CBR250R v Kawasaki Ninja 250R: is this the best they can do?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New Honda CBR250R v Kawasaki Ninja 250R: is this the best they can do?

Here we see how the new Honda CBR250R stacks up against the popular Kawasaki Ninja 250R. There's no doubting the style of the two bikes - the Honda in particular looks superb with its VFR1200F and Fireblade-style fairing. But is this good enough? As MCN's Phil West points out in next week's paper (out Wednesday December 15), the new CBR250R makes no more power...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (08 December 2010 16:02)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Er pardon!

I would have loved it if my CB250RS had 32bhp, 22bhp & 90mph with yer head on the tank and a long stretch of road was all that would do and mine had never been 'maintained' by couriers so was a good one!

Reply to this Topic
Dan250N

Jun 10

Dan250N says:

v RS125

test them against a full power 2 stroke Aprilia RS125, it would be interesting...

Reply to this Topic
mjf65

Feb 03

mjf65 says:

Totally agree! Manufacturers power claims were more optomistic back in the 70/80's than now. I managed 98 on the clock on the Z250 Scorpion, my mates LC's and X7's used to toast it, 25 bhp if you were lucky I recon.

Reply to this Topic
cybermart

Dec 10

cybermart says:

Could do better...

Same as was written on my school report. Nearly forty years ago honda made the CB250 K2 which purportedly boasted 30 HP - so in nearly forty years of development they have managed to lose 4 horses! I trust  they have made the bike handle at least a little better though.

Reply to this Topic
MrToadx

Sep 09

MrToadx says:

Where the VTR250?

Very pretty bike this CBR250R, but where is the VTR250? This is such a lovely machine, and far better more competitive in terms of horsepower. I'd buy one tomorrow if it was imported. I've had many sports machines over the last 10 years, and currently ride a VFR, but I also own a SH300i, which is great fun, handles well, and is practical, but a little slow,.. just can't believe that Honda are bringing out a CBR250R which will be even slower. Can't we have a 33bhp 250 model for the 21 year olds, and something with a beefier enginer for the rest of us? How about a 400 cc bike, lightweight and fun, but able to cruise at 70- 80mph, with car beating acceleration? Hmm. Haven't we been here before.? CB400F or Superdream.. hmm....  where are they now? If only!   

Reply to this Topic
ossieend

Dec 10

ossieend says:

They look alright, but that's about it. I recognise the old air cooled strokers had environmental issues, but give me my old X7 any day. I'm guessing the X7 was about as quick, but that notwithstanding, these pair of bikes look like they should be cracking the sound barrier, not wheezing along being overtaken by men in white vans. At least with an X7 or RD, bimbling along at 70 looked OK and not like you were terrified of opening the throttle on a GP bike.

More than that, on the old strokers or even CB, Z or GSX 250s maintenance or even a strip and rebuild could be carried out by just about anyone in their shed with a manual and a simple tool kit. These things probably require a fully equipped workshop and all the costs that entails to keep in decent nick.

Reply to this Topic
leogreek

Oct 09

leogreek says:

Weight?

What I don't get is why these things weigh in at almost 170kg.

A 2000 reg hornet weighs only 10kg more but also has an extra 70bhp to play with?

Should't these bikes weight approx 130-140kg?

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

NEW FACES.......OLD BODIES

Just reading some comments about these two junior middle weights,which fill a nice niche in the motorcyle model/displacement hierarchy.

The Ninja i'm disappointed with(it looks commuter trying too be sports bike-ish) simply because in Japan they get things like rad cals,usd forks,ally frames/swingarms etc(for roughly over there same price we pay here),while the rest of the world has too make do with TAT!!!:blink:

Apparently,the rest of the world musn't be as sophisticated as the Japs!!!

The Ninja should have had an ally frame/swinger,usd forks rad cal frt brake.The rear tyre should be no less than 150/70 and the power put put shoould be about 40-45ps at crank.

The same thing for the Honda.THAT EXHAUST HAS GOTTA WEIGH AT LEAST 11KGS and the frame looks like it was made up out of spare steel tubing lying around in back of parts dept(listening Kawasaki)!!!

The wheels will add a lot of weight(OEM LEAD) also so you can see the performance will struggle to help the bike attain a top end of the TON with rider/s on board also!:unsure:

Yes i know these are only commuter bikes built to a(financial) limit but really,£4000 for these,considering what JAPAN sells on home soil!!!:wacko:

Lastly, the weight....... it's a bit much and  as one commentator  put it they should be tipping scales at about 130-140kgs MAX!!!:shock:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

£4000 for these bikes does seem completely crazy, but I suppose they're only asking as much as some people are willing to pay. I know there are certain economies of scale but compared to bicycles and car, motorcycles seem VERY expensive, considering the technology involved.

Having said that, it 's a shame there aren't more midsized bikes around. I'd consider one of these if they were about a grand cheaper.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Reply too anonymous.......

Anonymous got it spot on.......These TWO  motorcycle manufacturers like so many others out there are on a roll simply because there are so many people clammering fot the latest MUST HAVE.......

The more people will accept these STUPID PRICES the longer this P*** TAKING WILL GO ON.

Tell you what, Honda and Kawasaki should be dairy farmers plenty of milking to do there ey!:blink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices