Skip to content

Discuss This Hopkins to BSB rumours: The facts British Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > British Superbikes > Hopkins to BSB rumours: The facts

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

Hopkins to BSB rumours: The facts

Crescent Suzuki have admitted they are courting former MotoGP star John Hopkins to race in BSB next year. Rumours that the American may ride for Crescent Suzuki in BSB next year surfaced on the web yesterday but the facts are that Crescent, Hopkins, a title sponsor and Crescent’s commercial partners have been in discussion for some time but nothing is finalized. The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 December 2010 12:12)

Post a message in British Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

mozart

Who's roy cropper.?

Reply to this Topic
Mort77

Mar 09

Mort77 says:

Hmm

I'm not sure how good Hopper would be for BSB, or how good for him BSB would be. There is no doubt that he was a talent on the Suzuki - finishing 4th in 2007. However his results prior to and after that (ok injuries abound) suggest a rather different story. Then there was his time as Haslams team-mate. Again he was injured and had little time to get used to the bike. Personally I wish the guy well and hope he can make something of his career, which as been in freefall lately but I don't see him making a big impact in BSB.

Reply to this Topic
jedpb

Jun 08

jedpb says:

About time!

This was already reported on tuesday! MCN keep up lol :)

Would love to see Hopper in the U.K. massive, massive fan!!

Tom Tunstall time for you to drop your #21, a superstar is arriving!!

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Speak of the Devil ...

Funny, over a few palate-cleansing lagers we were  talking about the apparent  disappearance of  the King of the lean angle, the " Hopper " just yesterday - and here, Phoenix-like, he is again ... Hopkins has always been the epitome of the " nearly " man with so many false dawns, any normal person other than a self-confident bike racer, would be treated for chronic depression - so quickly did the dark return. His best years were with Suzuki in MotoGP. But every time he seemed to be coming right and promising much - his own impetuosity and others crashing into him and subsequent injury cruelled the promise. As well, off the track he could be a very, very naughty boy. Perhaps his marriage to Ashleigh has tidied up his act here in the past couple of years?

Like, Anthony West ( one of the best and underrated riders out there - hopefully the new KTM in Moto2 will prove this in 2011 ), Hopkins was largely left high and dry and his career stalled by Kawasaki pulling out of MotoGP just prior to the 2009 season. Like West, he became a " journeyman " sniffing-around and picking-up rides where he could - both riding for Johan Stigefelt @ Stiggy Honda ( hoping to bring some of that Monster Energy dough with him ) at one stage or another, as did Josh Brookes and Leon Haslam. The Hopper seems to have been around forever and it is quite surprising that he is only 27. If he can stay upright, injury-free and finish consistently he would be an exciting asset for BSB. I wish him all the best with it. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

How the mighty fall!. One hell of a comedown if he does end up in BSB, without putting down the series.

Reply to this Topic
mrblistershifter

Jan 10

Hopper

Yes, he's had more bad luck than most, but he can ride !

I think it's going to be good for Hopper and BSB.  Like when Hodgson was in AMA,  he wasnt always on the podium but, I for one, Followed the series just because he was racing. 

Reply to this Topic
jusforfun

Sep 10

jusforfun says:

What Hopper to BSB?

I'm not a BSB fan, but I guess i'll be tuning in.  I hope Hopper can do well and maybe win some races.....he gets my respect.  Go Hopper!!

Reply to this Topic
rjowitt

Aug 02

rjowitt says:

Hopper To BSB

Hopkins is a real racer and any true fan of BSB would welcome him in with open arms. I reckon he would love the laid back atmosphere of the British paddocks and as for the thought of him going over Cadwell's mountain......

I hope this happens, because it will keep the strength and quality of the BSB field at its usual high level and, I hope, give Hopper a springboard to get back to MotoGP when it goes 1000cc in 2012. Lets face it, MotoGP needs talent and spectacle like Hopper.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

has been/never was

useless...he was endearing as the youngster when people could say....ahhh look at the little fella ...hes trying and hes brave.  That unfortunately does not make a star.  07 not withstanding( we all know 07 was tainted...even aquarius should admit that much) he has done nothing except talk about being at the pointy end as if he knows what that is like.  BSB is awesome and a definite potential stepping stone as compared to ama where careers go to die.  If he does manage to land a bsb ride, he should thank his lucky stars and focus on it, not try to parley it into something bigger,  as is his style.  That lack of loyalty has shown what his true character is and will probably be his undoing...oh yeah and the crashing/injury thing wont help either...there is no more motogp for you hopper so dont be an idiot and alienate the bsb team that tries to resurect your career.  This is NOT a starting point but rather a LAST chance for you lad.  Hmmm...wonder if ashleigh is getting tired of boring america and wants to go back to exciting europe.  Me thinks yes

Reply to this Topic
paulturton21

Oct 08

paulturton21 says:

hopper

please please please do not sign him, what did he do in wsb err nothing what did he do in ama err nothing. nothing against the bloke but crescent are a top team and need young blood not injury prone riders. bring someone up from supersport or superstock, there is so many good young riders in support classes that like elbow bashing and thats what everyone wants to see

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices