Skip to content

Discuss This Hopkins to BSB rumours: The facts British Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > British Superbikes > Hopkins to BSB rumours: The facts

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

Hopkins to BSB rumours: The facts

Crescent Suzuki have admitted they are courting former MotoGP star John Hopkins to race in BSB next year. Rumours that the American may ride for Crescent Suzuki in BSB next year surfaced on the web yesterday but the facts are that Crescent, Hopkins, a title sponsor and Crescent’s commercial partners have been in discussion for some time but nothing is finalized. The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 December 2010 12:12)

Post a message in British Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

I think it time for me to jump in

First off, Hopkins has been hurt the last 2 years. Once healthy, he podium twice the last couple of rounds in the AMA on what is basically the 3rd best Suzuki on the grid.

This is a huge gamble for Hopper. He has to win races in BSB to have any credibility. The top guys in BSB have moved on and the ones left aren't wold class. Kiyo couldn't stay in WSBK even though he was one of Honda's golden boy. Him and Brooks got completely blown away in their wildcards this year. Shakey had shown to be average at best the past couple of years.

Hopper is only 27 and has more experience than any of those guys will ever have. If he stays healthy he should go well.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

This is for you 1986vfr750

You talked nothing but utter nonsense and foolishness throughout this thread. Let me enlighten you on your comments.......

"we all know 07 was tainted..."

Utter nonsense. Others have chimed in on this. Hopper placed 4th in the title - far better than anyone in BSB could ever dream.

"BSB is awesome and a definite potential stepping stone as compared to ama where careers go to die."

And who has came to the AMA to die? Hodgson? He came straight from MotoGP, 2 years removed from his WSBK title and still couldn't win it. Ellison came from MotoGP to AMA  and completely got his ass handed to him and fired after one year. But he goes straight to BSB and he's a race winner - go figure. The last 2 AMA champions to go overseas have a MotoGP and WSBK title and both are in factory MotoGP teams. Where are the last couple of BSB champions who went the world stage? Back in BSB with their tails between their legs. That's a bit of a difference no?

" That lack of loyalty has shown what his true character is "

Lack of loyalty? What the hell are you talking about? He was with Suzuki for 5 years. The Kawasaki team folded on him - he didn't quite or leave. He got injured in WSBK. So where is the "lack of loyalty"? This is a statement that has ZERO merit what so ever and shows more about your character than his especially in other posts when you bring his wife into.

"Seems to me randy's in a different league to hopper neverwas, as in waaaaay better. "

Never was? When RDP has finished the MotoGP title in 4th and has finished the title 10th or better twice than you may have an argument. But now you don't and the stats say so. You only have you bias, non factual opinion that has no results to support it.

"Hopkins IS NOT a  world class rider or he would still be in a world class series."

Well, I guess the same can be said for Kiyo, Shakey, Ellison, Hill, and whoever else is in BSB that didn't cut it.

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Oh dear, Oh dear ...

Jeez - talk about a total lack of humour or any sense of " irony " ... Here we go again - posters here seem to think they have an open license to have a red hot " go " at others and to abuse them - BUT - just as soon as someone chides them or gives them some of their own medicine back - they turn into big, wobbly jellies and start snivelling. Sorry - honestly I am. If you can't hack it - well, don't post stuff like this : 2nd November 2010 ...

1986vfr750 says:
" its all stoners fault If wanker stoner was only able to keep it" peanut butter side up", then he would have been able to harass lorenzo for longer. This would have prevented rythm boy from getting in the groove and we as fans would have seen a nice dogfight as the three tussled all race. But nooooooo...stoner is only fast when hes out in front with no one bothering him. Put a couple bikes in his way that he has to fight with and down he goes. That left lorenzo all alone with last years winning setup and able to get a nice groove on. So thanks casey for ruining what could have been a great battle for the fans. Now i wonder if any stoner fans will reply...hmmm...LOL " Out of your own mouth, 1986 etc etc - so much for your claiming to " like " Stoner. Oh please, don't try to finesse a licensed master smartarse, OK? Pots & Kettles, eh?

Two points that I have said perhaps 12 x times to date but many of you have the memory and attention spans of an earthworm on metamphetamines; 1): I am NOT an Australian - I just live there and am Kiwi through and through, so have no particular patriotic " blind spot " for Stoner or anyone else. I just know blinding talent when I see it.    2 ): When I first started reading MCN posts back in April 2008, I couldn't believe the ignorance, hypocrisy and sheer poisonous abuse and vitriol written about various riders but especially Casey Stoner. It seemed to me his only sin was to knock-off Rossi in 2007 ( NB - that's an ANZAC phrase meaning to beat ) and best him at several consecutive British GP's where he was abused, called awful names and given the middle finger - for winning ????? WTF is this I thought and determined to engage those I call " The Zombies " and their Stoner abuse at every opportunity. I frequently defend others too and can defend and justify my opinion of current non Aliens like Hayden and Dovizioso. It's been fun calling these twerps out to justify themselves and take responsibility  - they can't - it's all bullshit and biased " opinion ". Mostly they're kids and one-eyed Rossi acolytes who's memory of motorcycle GP peters-out circa 1998. It's a shame that these and their  knowledge and understanding is so very shallow. They also have no respect for ability, application and determination in others- but there you go. Closed minds - and there's none so blind as them that will not see. Welcome to the age of wilful ignorance. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
oldspechen

Oct 08

oldspechen says:

I think it will be great to see Hopkins racing over here, the more top riders the better. Anyway isn't he half English? Lets face it he'll only be using BSB as a stepping stone to get back into WSB if he does well. I reckon Hopkins V Brookes could be a bit tasty, and the other Brit boys will want to show him what its all about. Roll on next season, I can't wait.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

exactly

@oldspechen

I would think fans should want a rider like Hopper in BSB to add to the spice. I don't see how adding a rider with the experience of Hopkins could be a bad thing if he does well or falls on his ass.

@aquarius

Funny you should say that. I started posting in MCN not just of the abusive of some rider (which people will always do) but because of the sheer ignorance and factually incorrect statements that were repeated over and over again by riders "fans" disliked and their favorites.

Reply to this Topic
Mort77

Mar 09

Mort77 says:

AMA etc

It's a well known fact that Suzuki is the bike to be on in AMA. Well the Yoshimura (I think) Suzuki anyway. The rest are(historically) racing for 3rd. I don't know if the situation has changed in the last few years but that is how it was when I last read anything on AMA. You don't finish 4th in motogp by accident but at the same time I feel if Hopkins was a viable option in WSB/motogp he would be there instead of BSB. Rawdog - you're absolutely right - Shakey and Kiyo aren't world class riders as has been shown last year and the previous year in WSB. James Ellison was riding highly uncompetitive machinery in motogp and had he had a better bike who knows what could have happened for him so maybe time will tell if he is world class or not. No matter what my or anyone else's opinion of the riders they do what we cannot and while we all disagree from time to time nobody's opinion is any less valid than the next. Even when they seem to be totally biased. Peace

Reply to this Topic
Parkway70

Jun 09

Parkway70 says:

Aquarius...

I`m with you all the way with regards to the flak Stoner gets in England..I remember watching Mothers and their kids doing the tosser sign and shouting obscenities to him on his slow down lap at Donnington..what had he done?..dominated the race and given us all a masterclass at racing at the highest level...those Cretins turned my stomach...race-fans,,?don`t make me laugh...with regards to the Hopper..hope he does come over,he`s had his gormless critics ,but hey welcome to Britain Dude!..if he gets the bike sorted he`ll be on it no probs....Aquarius,`keep on rocking in the free world`

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

To close ...

Look -  just spoken to Casey and he apologises profusely and sincerely for crashing-out of races and absolutely " ruining " people's entertainment and stuff & things for various fans in various countries ... the fact that the kid risked life and limb by repeatedly trying so hard on the treacherous 010 Desmosedici and deserved a medal for going out and doing the same week after week doesn't seem to register in the minds of some people. You see, it is ALL about THEM and fuck-all to do with the riders or circumstance. Of course, I made that all up - speaking to Casey, I mean - but, hopefully you take my point even if it is a bit laboured ?

RawDawg ( we are obviously sympatico despite the very occasional difference - I say, denigrate and criticise away - but be prepared to support any such assertion with fact & history rather than infantile, xenophobic and nationalistic name-calling ) & Mort77 - Amen to your comments, Brothers. Society seems to have totally lost the plot in terms of manners and respect and this spills-over into casual belittlement and verbal abuse of others when the perpetrators of this sort of stuff know sweet FA and aren't fit to wipe the rider's arses. Classy, I know - but couched in terms that some may find quite easier to understand. Peace & love. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

stoner...

Is a good rider................no quible there

Stoner is also a cock..............with his no show on day of champions, and saturday night interviews.

You say its cause he gets heckled...!!....ozzy s and brits have been givinig each other banter for years,

you might be aware of a game going on in oz at minute where i would guess most the heckling gets done.

I also thought you ozzy s were thick skinned...??...competative people not wusses' who hide away from a few hecklers.

Well he's made a rod for his own back, nice to see him doing his bit for charity...

Tell him when you speak to him next...hah.....have a cheese sandwich washed down with a pint of full fat milk.......

P s hoppa is good rider and deserves a pop in bsb, although top 10 would be a good result. 

Reply to this Topic
Mort77

Mar 09

Mort77 says:

Leemuz

I wouldn't normally point out such an obvious spelling mistake but this needs to be done. Ozzy - British singer. Aussie's - slang for Australians. Also, and I'm sure Aquarius is sick and tired of pointing this particular fact out. He's a Kiwi. That's slang for a person from New Zealand. As opposed to an Australian.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices