Skip to content

Discuss This Why aren't there more lady bikers? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Why aren't there more lady bikers?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Mandy Tucker  says:

Why aren't there more lady bikers?

Following the piece in last week’s MCN I felt I should add my thoughts on why other ladies don’t indulge in biking. reaking into any male oriented activity can be intimidating for some women. The focus of much of the advertising or programmes on television is how powerful the bikes are, or how fast they can go, or who is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 December 2010 16:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Interesting

I enjoyed reading about the subject from a different angle and I do hope things improve like you say there is a gap in the market so hopefully company's will fill it.

Reply to this Topic
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Interesting

I enjoyed reading about the subject from a different angle and I do hope things improve like you say there is a gap in the market so hopefully company's will fill it.

Reply to this Topic
boxertwin

Feb 09

boxertwin says:

You just need to know where to look...

Companies like Altberg Boots  can make custom made boots at very reasonable prices AND they come up top every year in the RIDE survey.

Reply to this Topic
wimagirl

Dec 10

wimagirl says:

Women Need More Encouragement

I just think that most women think they're not capable of riding and it probably doesn't even enter their head that they could try! Also, after reading on a few lady biker forums, it seems there are still a lot of training schools who actively discourage women. Some have said they've been told they're too short and will never ride a bike and others have been made to feel incompetent. Women bikers and racers (like Jenny Tinmouth and Maria Costello) need more publicity to encourage other women to have a go!

Reply to this Topic
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

i understand women are short, but im not very tall, and i didnt feel limted to buying a short bike, why do you want to touch the ground? if you can get one foot down then you can ride it, and about the clothes thing, thats how men feel when casual shops have loads of womens clothes and a tiny mens section, thats life...

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Why its nice to get both feet on the ground...

I have relatively short legs (29 inch inside leg) and can sympathise with the wish to be able to get your feet firmly on the ground. I can understand whilst some don't have a problem but this uis when I really enjoy being able to touch the ground with both feet:

1. Paddling the bike around a tight obstruction particularly in the wet when boots and road are amazingly slippy. This can be trundling through massive traffic jams on the A1 where there is always some idiot who parks across the lanes or just parking your bike at home.

2. Reversing. Yes I know we are always supposed to ride into parking spaces in such a way that you can ride out but sometimes this isn't easy. If you make the mistake of parking the wrong way so you have to reverse up the camber of a road (not me :-)) it is even harder on tip toes...

3. Sitting at traffic lights in wild blustery conditions.  You can ride the bike in much windier conditions than it is easy to hold it still ! (Actually many bikes I have ridden are better behaved in high winds when being ridden than a family car but become a bit difficult when at a stop. ).

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Ladies

If you go to a Horizons Unlimited meet, there's lots of ladies who ride there - and many of them are really quick off-road. Lots of ladies going round the world.

If you go on the continent, lots of ladies ride motorbikes there, too.

I have encouraged my daughter to ride, but she will only ride pillion with me. She says it's too hard not being an accident statistic. The car drivers are just too talentless.

There you go.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Women bikers

Putting both feet on the ground is not that big a deal, I think you will find many men can't put both feet on the ground without a struggle if at all on many of the bikes on the market except for the smaller bikes of course.

Clothing, well as much as I simpathies its just a bikers problem be you a woman or a man, I have never owned a pair of biking trousers in my life and I have been riding for over 30 years, I find most bike boots uncomfortable and far to ridgid for my feet and the jackets tend to be restrictive in movement, it took me a long time to find a jacket i could get on with even gloves can be a pain to find decent ones that won't restrict your hand movements to much.

But I agree with you that there is far to much emphasis on the bikes speed rather than comfort and handling, I live in a country where the speed limit is 70 mph I could care less that my bike can do 150 mph I want a bike that will give me a comfortable ride around the 70 legal speed that I could sit at all day if need be and I can get through traffic with ease and handling that is light enough to make it a confident traffic battle.

We need less cars on the roads and more bikes, come on Girls what are you waiting for?

Ignore the sexist morons and don't become one either.

Reply to this Topic
ShellshineShirl

May 09

I can completely empathise with Mandy - I am also 5ft 4 and unless I want a custom style bike (which I don't) there is an incredibly limited selection available to me. 

There are a number of 600's I would love to ride but would have to fork out the extra for lowering or seat reduction (and therefore comfort reduction!).  I need to at least have the balls of my feet to the ground due to a mullered foot (courtesy of a combination of cement tanker + xs250 back in the '80's..) .  I watch folks ride with great ability and confidence and then, when they stop their toes are the only part of their feet to touch the floor and I  think it's crazy.  Spending my hard-earned on a bike and wanting to look after it means limiting the opportunities for "untidy parking" - so tippy-toeing in gravel car parks, on manholes, at petrol stations, etc etc... not for me.  I like to know that if there is a dodgy road surface, naff camber etc that my feet will be able to firmly stabilise my beloved machine.

I currently ride a darling little 250 but this summer it's time to move onto bigger things... but I'm loathe to fork out an additional few hundred quid and reduce my comfort when bikes ain't cheap to begin with!

As for the clothing - well, basically, I have to stop being a greedy bint so I can fit into the standard sizes for women or buy mens stuff - which is ok but not ideal.

So, I'm short, and fat but I still ride... although not without major compromises having to be made. 

Perhaps if women on bikes were promoted better in magazines and the media in general and biking wasn't made out to be the choice of men ,  lesbians and masculine men-hating amazonion females -  then there would be an increase in the numbers of ladies enjoying all the fabulous fun of 2 wheels!

Just my 2 pen'orth

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Women bikers

Let's not forget that men have lost just about everything they have loved over the years to women wanting to have a go but then because they can't do the same as men feel they have to then change the beloved thing into something completely different in order for it to accomodate them, which then leaves men with nothing.

What is needed is a whole new market aimed at women and if more women take up the challenge perhaps men will see that it is a good thing to have more femininity in there.

However if women don't bother then perhaps woment just arn't that interested.

We could always ask the question why it is that there are no Female motorcycle shop owners catering for the female needs and only selling a few items for men, but I suspect such shops would go bust very quick, excuse the pun!

The problem is motorcycling is a very small market as it is, even many males can't ride a motorcycle, so most of the shops provide for the biggest part of the market they can get hold of else they will end up out of business.

There are many short fat men that would love to ride motorcycles but don't becuase of the problems of clothing and height of the bike, the bike I ride is tall and i'm not exactly short it's a problem but we get over it by developing methods to get around the problems.

I simpathise but let's not make this a gender issue, after all you don't see scantily clad males drapped over the bikes in bike adds, they are always fully dressed in the latest leathers from head to toe, whereas the women often have the jackets fully open and not much else on.

Not that it's a bad thing but this kinda suggests to you the majority of the market and until women start owning their own motorcycle businesses promoting the products for them, I really can't see how women specifically can complain.

Oh tell a lie I do know of one shop owned by a woman, but she promotes all the same things as all the other shops else she would go broke, the market dictates it seems.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices