You are in... Forums > General > General > IAM info wanted

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

IAM info wanted

Hi

I'm thinking of doing the IAM skills for life course and just wonder if anyone here has done it and is it worth doing :smiley:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (12 December 2010 16:33)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
phantomrider

Jul 09

phantomrider says:

IAM info wanted

Hi GingerB

I did the IAM Skills for Life - passed the test earlier this year.  I enjoyed the training and learnt loads - certainly helped my biking.

I guess is depends on the group that you join - most will let you do a "trial ride" which might be worth doing if you have more than 1 group near you.

Best of luck

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Well worth it

I am going to be honest, the only reason I joined was because I was thinking of being an instructor. I felt being an advanced rider was something to have in my portfolio. I soon realised how wrong I had been about the IAM and advanced riding, it is nothing like I thought it would be, but so much better.

It is a cheap, no pressure way of improving your riding and becomming a bettert rider. You will learn that some of the smallest changes make a big difference to your riding. You will be a better and safer rider.

The IAM does have it's benefits, if you have ever fancied a track day but feel that you have the wrong bike or may not be quick enough, the IAM riderskills days are ideal, they cater for all kinds of riders and bikes. You will learn basic riding skills that you will use out on the road.

To give an idea how much you can improve, I joined in Oct 2007 passed test Oct 2008 became a qualified observer in May 2009. I have done five riderskills days, basically because they are so much fun.

I have have enjoyed motorcycling more in the last three years that in did in the previous ten.

Hope this helps. :smile

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Tis only an opinion

...so don't shoot me..

But I think is a waste of resource and time. They're only gonna try to teach you what you should frankly already know.... IAM seems to give some riders a belief in their own riding skills that far exceeds reality and that's a dangerous situation. Also, I did a track-day once thru a mate with a load of bike coppers.. all IAM of course.... and all slow as shit!

But they sure talked a good fast safe ride!!!!!   :wink:

:blink:

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

750flyer

the whole purpose of the IAM, Rospa and others are not to learn how to ride fast but to ride safely and smoothly.

I for one, would much rather learn how to ride safe, smooth and making progress then how to "get a knee down" on a corner just to find a tractor in the road that you now cannot avoid because you were taking it too fast for what you can see.

A lot of bike schools only teach you to pass a bike test, not what you get to know via a Bikewise, IAM/ Rospa course - lines for corners, etc.

Horses for courses, it's depends on what you want to learn and how you wish to ride.

gingerB, as well as IAM also have a look at the Rospa option and see which one suits you best, closer etc.

IAM is a matter of pass or not, Rospa is graded Bronze, Silver and Gold and retested every 3 years to ensure you are still up to the standard or improved.

Good luck on whichever route you take.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
garybfreeman

Nov 06

garybfreeman says:

iam

whatever you choose it will do you more good than  bad and does go a long way with insurance companys:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices