Skip to content

Discuss This 2011 Honda CBR250R first ride - 'the Ninja 250R has a real rival' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2011 Honda CBR250R first ride - 'the Ninja 250R has a real rival'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matt Shields  says:

2011 Honda CBR250R first ride - 'the Ninja 250R has a real rival'

Although we’re likely to be waiting until February until the first shipments of Honda’s new CBR250R lightweight arrives in the UK (perhaps no bad thing considering the current icy snap), the newcomer has already been launched in south-east Asia. New Honda CBR250R v Kawasaki Ninja 250R We asked our colleague Matt Shields at Austrailian MCN for his first impressions, this is what he had...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (14 December 2010 11:27)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

pointless

with the same power as the old Honda Wetdream, there's no point to this bike. Cmon Honda, you can do better than this. If you want to breathe life into the old line up then start selling the 400Four in the UK. With a bit of development you'd  soon iron out the niggles. You may have the best selling 125 over here, however re-invest your profits in something else.

Reply to this Topic
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

I tell a lie

there is at least one more bike of this type. The Hyosung GT250R, but as it's also available as a 125 for learners or a 650 (the 650 engine being based on that of the suzuki sv650 but with a little more power eeked out of it), so again the big bike restriction route would be more appealing, better exhaust note and a great dollop of extra power ready for when your 2 years are up :)

Reply to this Topic
smartroad

Aug 07

smartroad says:

Fugly

Sorry Honda but that is fugly! I really don't like that you seem to have got stuck on one style for headlights since the VFR1200 either. Great dash though.

Reply to this Topic
Chris14

Mar 09

Chris14 says:

Good in theory

While I think it's a good idea for Honda and Kawasaki to make 250's for the restricted riders out there, such as myself, they also need to make bikes which people will want to hold onto when there restriction is up.

This means the bikes need to be fun and enjoyable to ride on a daily basis, not something that gets boring once you're used to the power and the novelty of being able to either do over 70mph wears off. What would help this, is if the bikes were lighter and generally a bit pokier. For example, I ride an SV650 and it's fast enough for me, so I thought that a Kwak 250 would feel similarish, if not a rad faster cause it's slightly lighter, but it just wasn't, the 250 wasn't even in the same league, while I was possibly no slower on it, it felt gutless and loose. On the other hand, my RS125 was a gift from the god above, so much fun and it felt bloody quick, and the only reason I didn't keep it was I needed something I didn't have to rebuild all the time.

So, the idea of making 250's is good, but they need to be light and nimble and feel fast, so people don't get bored of them. And they need to be much cheaper.

Cheers Chris

Reply to this Topic
Steiner

Dec 10

Steiner says:

Progress???

I have to ask why this Honda is so underpowered? 

The 250 Ninja at 33 hp plods through the rev range with no perception of power and the CBR 250 R? is a sub 30 hp bike!  Then there is the exhaust note which can best be described as electric compressor like. 

Some years ago I had an imported 1988 GSXR 250; 4 stroke 4 cylinder which developed 46 hp, was so much fun to ride and had an amazing scream from the exhaust.  I could never wait to ride it.

20 years on an the best Honda can do is lose 20 horse power and make the bike sound naff!

If Honda are saying this bike falls into the catagory of sporting 'R' bikes I think someone is tinkling down our backs and telling us it is raining...

Reply to this Topic
screamer69

Oct 05

screamer69 says:

Honda 250..

even an air cooled Duacti makes 70 hp...this bike is for girls..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices