You are in... Forums > General > General > Magazines wanted for heroes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bibickeybi

Jun 07

bibickeybi says:

Magazines wanted for heroes

Some help please, I am currently running a camp in Helmand Province in Afghanistan and I would like to get as many people as possible to send my blokes( many are v keen motorbikers) your read bike mags. I appologises for the direct approach but due to having to cater for everyones tastes bike mags are not delivered as part of our Operational welfare package.

The postage is free (up to 2kg), all it would cost is the envelope.

The postal address if you would like to help is:

QM
TFH
Lashkar Gar
BFPO 715

Any help will be greatly appreciated and all mags will be read many times.

Thanks,
Major Andy Lothian

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (16 December 2010 12:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

and...

this identical post has been posted on pretty much every bike related forum, website and club from what I can see....if every one sends magazines it will choke up BFPO good and proper!?!

Reply to this Topic
bibickeybi

Jun 07

bibickeybi says:

Magazines wanted for heroes

Picked this up from PMC’s web site (http://www.poyntonmotorcycleclub.co.uk/ ) the source Rob is reliable. I respect and admire the troops and always happy to help without question. However I’m sure if you wrote to the address with a stamped reply envelope you should get your answer . The postage is free and only send magazines you would otherwise throw away i.e. recycle bin or post box, they cost the same. But if it is genuine which I have no reason to think it’s not, then some sqaddie will have something better to read than the Taliban Times, Just thought we could help!!!

Reply to this Topic
MadDogDoug

Nov 07

MadDogDoug says:

As Stevebaldy points out it is all over the bike forums.

BBB you say Rob is reliable but he seems to have just got it from another forum.......... so it just goes round and round.

I did query this with BFPO last year and they couldn't tell me due to Opsec and Persec whether Major Andy was out there or not. But they said that any post would be gratefully received but it would take a while to get out there due to 'Operational Priorities'.

I got the impression that a steady trickle of previously enjoyed magazines would be more preferable than en-masse influx.

The current addresses are

Captain Wakeling QM LKG BFPO 715   (June 2010)

or

SSgt Paul Carley
5 AES
23 Engr Regt
OP Herrick 13
BFPO 792

(November 2010)

Q. Can welfare parcels be sent to the troops serving on Op TELIC & Op HERRICK?

No, please be advised that an item of mail up to the maximum weight of 2kgs can be sent to named personnel only. Due to the surge of mail during the freepost period to these operational areas BFPO does not wish to delay personal mail to loved ones by accepting mail to unnamed personnel.

http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/optelic_opherrick_mail.htm

MDD

Reply to this Topic
skycat

Jul 05

skycat says:

Thanks MDD

I had seen this posting some time back and question if the address was nolonger current.

I found Major Andy Lothian original posting on Ducatisti http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/off-topic/38300-old-bike-mags-afghanistan-5.html and found a upto date address provided near the end of the thread (see link). 

Thanks for clarifying the address as I was unsure whether the address posted by bibickeybi was now in use again and I want to ensure the magazines we have are sent to the right place.

Sky

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MadDogDoug

Nov 07

MadDogDoug says:

Brew

No problem Skycat but all I have done is pulled the info from the Ducatisti forum.

The problem being that there is no way of knowing who specifically to address the parcels to as BFPO wont divulge any names of those out there in the sandy place.

All we can hope for is that the most current name from the Ducatisti site is good for a while longer and they will update it when SSgt Carley comes back safe along with the rest of the guys and gals from their current tour.

Isn't time that Kam made you another brew?:smile

I've joined the Ducati site and asked for an update as to whether the current name is still relevant, mailed BFPO to see if anything sent just to the QM will get through and posted on an Army site to see if they can help. Awaiting feedback.............................

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MadDogDoug

Nov 07

MadDogDoug says:

Pt1

From the Ducatisti Forum

It should still get there,

As there is a BFPO address it will still go.

I sent out a load the other week, all the post office wanted to know was if it was mags?!?!

Someone will get it

A current address is my last thread.

To PaulC

But my understanding is you can address them to a soldier/airman/sailor in afghan.
It will arrive and someone will appreciate it!

For anything festive same as above but mark it male/female

It is definitely appreciated.

I received random packets from all sorts of great people from around the UK in IRAQ in 2003 and it was fantastic

It is always appreciated.

Paul

Reply to this Topic
MadDogDoug

Nov 07

MadDogDoug says:

Pt2

I had a feeling that I had heard that the BFPO received too many unsolicited parcels which wal clogging up their system. I had a quick look non the BFPO website and found this:

One, to say thank you for the kindness you demonstrated in caring for the British troops. Thank you for the selfless generosity you and thousands of others have shown to our lads and girls. Your parcels and letters and made a difference, and those on the ground are the better for it. But now we have other ways of supporting our troops. Books and toiletries and sweets are no longer needed – they’re readily available in all our military bases – and they come from the big national charities like ‘Support our Soldiers’ and the like, (who have their own distribution networks – so they don’t clog the BFPO).
This is now the new appeal:
– on behalf of everyone who is serving in Afghanistan or who have served out there – please, if you want to send parcels
don’t send welfare parcels to anyone at a BPFO address
send them instead to:
Have a look at the websites of charities that care for the troops and send them the sort of things our boys and girls REALLY need and want. You will still be making a difference. Thank you for all your generosity.
Padre Peter Scott

Reply to this Topic
barbiebiker

Jul 10

barbiebiker says:

mags

thanks for bringing this to my attention - would never have thought about it otherwise! Will be posting mags out by the end of the week. Variety of motorbike magazines and some fashion/gossip mags for the girls :biggrin:

happy to help :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle